Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6733 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2010 9:09 AM by d74323c Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • CRAZ8 Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 12, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 18, 2010 10:31 PM (in response to d74323c)
    Re: Where's my endurance?

I started running 6 weeks ago using the Couch To 5K program - and then extending it on every workout, depending on how I felt and my heart rate numbers

The progression in that program has really worked for me - The Week 5/Day 3 run is 20 minutes, and I did this much better than I thought was possible!

I just got myself a heart rate monitor (Garmin 305) as I really can't tell what my effort level is for any particular workout.  I think there are people who can self regulate, and people who can't.  The people who can't (e.g. Me) find it really hard to run at speeds that allow them to have success.  Use the technology to work around this problem and have success running.

The heart rate monitor also allows me to know if I'm over stressing myself (I'm over 40, and I don't want to be at max HR without knowing).  If my HR is ok, then I know I can keep going, even if my legs aren't happy.  Without this number, I'd not have pushed myself as hard as I have done.

Jan 2011 - Bermuda International Race Weekend 10K - 1:22:22

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    16. Dec 19, 2010 8:58 AM (in response to Marykb)

I agree with Marykb.  I'm 63 and I don't use a heart rate monitor because my blood pressure medication is going to keep my heart rate low anyway.  I'm currently training for a couple half marathons and my last long run was 11 miles at an average 9:23 pace and I ran it in 1:43;24.  Not too shabby for an old guy, huh?  I do use a garmin gps watch now but I didn't have one until very recently.  The basic truth behind endurance and speed is this...... You won't increase endurance by continually running the same distance and hoping it will happen and you won't increase speed by continually running the same pace an hoping to magically get faster.  It takes time and work.  Long runs and Fartleks.  One long run and one speed work session each week along with your base runs.  Of course, you need to finish c25k first.  Just keep at it and you'll get there.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    17. Dec 20, 2010 1:10 PM (in response to d74323c)

Keep doing what you're doing and add 10-15% in volume every two weeks based on how you're feeling.

A good quote I heard awhile back is, "You can't spend 10 years getting out of shape and then expect to get in shape in a few weeks!" It may not apply to you, but I think it's illustrative of how long it sometimes takes to get in good running shape. It's a long process, and it's cumulative.

Good luck!

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Cindyd32 Pro 64 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    18. Dec 20, 2010 2:22 PM (in response to d74323c)

you should probably recalibrate your Nike+.  I had to run on treadmill due to rain and my Nike+ is perfect but i did recalibrate mine on a track at high school.  They do not recomment you recalibrate on treadmill.

CindyD32
  • LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    19. Dec 23, 2010 11:25 PM (in response to Marykb)

When I started running I couldn't pace myself properly, I guess not all people are capable of it. Some people, like me, have to LEARN to listen to their bodies and that requires some practice. I can now also tell both my HR and pace without looking at the Garmin. Probably everybody knows that a good sign of running slow enough is the fact you can keep a conversation. So if you don't have a monitor, you can use it as a guide.

From all I've read to build your endurance base you must gradually increase the distance, not pace. You can increase pace only in case you find after a few weeks or couple of months that you can run faster at the same HR. You must still keep your HR in the aerobic zone though. As you progress with your training it's a good thing to check your rest and max HR from time to time and recalculate your training zones.

Building your aerobic base first is the pillar for your future progress. It's only when you've built it, then you can start playing with speed - speedworks, fartleks and intervals, pushing your anaerobic treshold, building strength in hills, stairs, etc. To build a solid base in the beginning you need to stick with the aerobic zone exclusively. If you don't, if you combine the aerobic and anaerobic zones in the beginning, your endurance will not be as solid as it could if you only train in the aerobic zone in the beginning. Even a few minutes spent out of your aerobic zone is spoiling the purpose of your base training. You will improve but you could improve even more with a solid base. It's like if you'd be building a house and put only half of the base for it. It will stand but will not be as stabile as with the full base.

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    20. Dec 24, 2010 6:36 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi Lucy!  Although everything you said there may be exactly right, I still stick by my opinion that beginning runners just don't need to make it all that complicated.  This is my opinion, of course, but I feel like unless you are running competitively - that is a whole different story in which case you will have a coach or a trainer - then you usually can't go wrong by listening to your body.  I think anyone, if they pay attention, knows if their HR is about to max out.  Its not like its going to happen without your noticing it, right? (DISCLAIMER: Of course this doesn't apply to someone who is badly out of shape and/or has a medical condition in which an elevated HR can be dangerous.)

When I mentioned speedwork earlier, I did qualify that by saying it is a whole different scenario, in other words, not something a new runner has to worry about right now.  But even a beginning runner can add brief spurts of intensity.  During an otherwise steady paced run you can run up a hill or you can "run as fast as you can to the next mailbox" (which is also known as a "fartlek") and those will briefly bump up your HR.  That is a good thing, because it builds strength, and strength will build endurance (AND speed). The whole idea about "staying in the aerobic zone" kind of smacks of the old myth about the "fat burning zone" where people let themselves be convinced that lower intensity exercise trumps higher intensity exercise.  There are some facts that are taken out of context which are used to make it sound like ramping up the intensity is counterproductive.  Not true! 

My whole point about running, for the casual recreational runner, is to MAKE IT FUN!  I hear so many people say, "I hate running but I do it anyway".  Well I don't hate running and I never have because I listen to my body and do what feels right.  Even without knowing any of the complicated physiology behind it, I have trained myself from someone who was completely non-athletic and out of shape to someone who can run a half marathon.  I have averaged about 1000 miles/year and 6-8 races a year for several years so although my mileage isn't high, it is steady and consistent.  (Sadly I can't train my arthritic knees to carry me much farther at this point!)  I am a middle aged, slightly overweight grandmother.  If I can do this without making it complicated, then I believe anyone can!

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    21. Dec 24, 2010 7:57 AM (in response to Marykb)

Hi Mary! I didn't really disagree with you, my reply was mostly meant for the original post where the question of increasing endurance is raised. In the end of my post I mentioned that additional/separate non-aerobic activity is OK (just like you say), it just wont help build the aerobic base. I was trying to be exact but I guess it sounded complicated but in reality it is not:-)

I'm by no means a pro and have no ambition to be one, I run just for the fun and pleasure of it and I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it. Not that type of person:-) Just wanted to say it's been a few decades of studies showing that exercise keeping the HR 0-10 BPM below the aerobic treshold builds the endurance base that is also required for all other running/cycling/swimming fitness.  typically  over 95% of the energy used for endurance sports (events lasting more  than a few minutes) comes from the aerobic system. That's why I consider it important.

Merry Christmas everyone and happy running!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Larry L. Walker Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 20, 2009
    22. Dec 24, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to d74323c)

D,

I have never been a devotee of lots of tech when I am running, so all of the heart rate monitor and Garmin talk leaves me in the lurch.  When I first re-entered the running field (last year) my major mistake was in setting my pace too high when I started out.  That was cured by setting up a good running mix on the music player with a fairly relaxed starting track to help me establish a sustainable pace.  If I had a Million Dollars by Bare Naked Ladies works well for my starting track.  After a few minutes into the run, as systems warm up a bit, I mix some (moderately) higher paced music in, which helps me add in some of the up tempo bursts that others have written about.

I have to ask; where are your eyes when you are running?  If you get your eyes are focused on the ground directly in front then your mind tends to focus there too.  Look down range and you will be able focus on reaching some point in the distance.  As you approach that intermediate goal, congratulate yourself on reaching it, and set/negotiate another goal.  Aim for just over the top of the grade, the bend in the trail or road, the next intersection, etc.  You get the flick.  View a long run as a collection of short runs stacked end to end and perhaps you will not fixate on the overall distance, clearing your mind to just enjoy the run.

Whatever works for you, stay with it and have fun.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...