Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

887286 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 297 Previous Next
  • mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,245. Dec 26, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

emmaleigh47 wrote:

Hello to all of the penguins out there...

Christmas eve day I got in a 10K run at the local track (indoors) and felt great after 2 miles. That blister though was horrid when I was done, and the bottom of my foot kinda, sorta looks like hamburger now. I havent been able to run since, both because I have been out of town and because of the blister.

Would love to run tomorrow... but nervous because Saturday is the big 12 miler... I only have to go 4 2x this week... sigh ...

Anyways... glad to hear everyone elses running plans!

MamaBear... wow you are increasing your distance fast... you are doing a great job!

I also got a Garmin for Christmas... very excited about that. The Nike plus is accurate for shorter distances, but on my 8 mile run it was almost a full 0.5 mile off..

But since I am a Garmin virgin I do have a question... will it work indoors on the track at teh YMCA or not?

Take care guys ... Oh and my mother bought my a penguin jingle bell Christmas ornament. She did not know about the penguin thing but bought him because he "looked like a runner" with the hat headband! LOL how instinctual is that!

Ouch re: the blister! 

Hope it mends soon!

I suppose I should look into getting a Garmin or Polar.  So far, my training has been very low-tech.  I'd love to hear reviews and impressions from those of you who use Garmins, Nike+, Polar, etc.

As for an update on what I'm doing:

I have a snowshoe race  to get ready for in a month.  I took the Atlas Run snowshoes out for a  spin last Wednesday and...wow! What a workout! I definitely needed a recovery day.  LOVE the snowshoes!  They are surprisingly light.

On  Saturday, I trail-rambled about 4 miles on a mix of ice/snow/mud in the  foothills.  I borrowed some Kahtoola MICROspikes--and they are awesome!  I  usually use YakTrax, which I like very much, but for trails where there  are longer stretches of mud/dirt, the MICROspikes were better.  I didn't have to worry about rocks and gravel, and the traction on icy portions of the trail was especially good.

This week, I'll be back to running on the road!

Congratulations on those who have continued working out during the holidays!  It's a great feeling to get out there and see others exercising as well, isn't it?

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,246. Dec 27, 2010 2:50 AM (in response to flamomof3)

flamomof3: Awesome, let me know what you think of it because I am thinking of getting one myself

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

Dec 7, 2010
    1,247. Dec 27, 2010 2:54 AM (in response to mythic)

mythic: I joined in doing his 100 days challenge and am looking forward to it

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Started C25K 12/15/10

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010

We love this group and we love being Penguins!  I read 2 of your books (The Courage to Start and No Need for Speed) and you inspire me!   Thanks so much!

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    1,249. Dec 27, 2010 3:05 AM (in response to mythic)

I signed up for the 100 day challenge.  I have to start allover again - first had an injury, then sick with a upper respiratory, then Christmas week.  I decided to just wait until Christmas was over, and now here we are!  Today is the big day for me to start, and boy am i ready.  I ate so bad the last 4 days, absolutely pigged out and boy am I paying for it today.  Can hardly wait to hit the pavement (or treadmill depending on the weather - I'm such a wuss) but I know it's going to be rough.  I already feel like I'm carrying a 10lb sack of flour in my midsection....

Happy waddling!

Dec 7, 2010
    1,250. Dec 27, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Kristy Burleyson)

Kristy Burleyson: No time like the present to get back on the fitness wagon (at least I tell myself that when I take a detour and I don't beat myself up about  it either) Good luck and you can do it!

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,251. Dec 27, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to Donna914)

I love my Garmin fr60.  I put it on and go out and run anywere I want and don't have to go back to track distance.  It gives me a large sense of freedom when running.  I have an easier time pacing myself because I can check my time and know that  I am pushing too har or not hard enough.  Today I ran 5 miles and although I was under my usual pace due to ice, I was still able to push myself enough that I was only under by 1 minute.  I just shortened my step and was able to speed up even on ice.  The yaktraks really help me keep from slipping and I wasn't worried about being seen by traffic because my husband clipped on my LED light to my head gear as I was on my way out the door.  My new Asic running mitten are great.  My hands stayed warm and when they were sweaty I just flipped the mittens off to cool them off.  There was a very cold wind and I found that I needed to wear my hood and knee highs so tomorrow I will make sure I do, either that or I will have to get warm ups for over my tights.  Mt thighs are still cold and I've been inside for a 1/2 hour already.  I'm still trying to decide what marathon I want to run in 2011.  It will be my first full so I want it to be fun and a flat and fast course.  I'm looking at the Marine corp marathon or I will go back and run the Airforce marathon.  I ran the Airforce half this year and loved it!  I am still talking myself in and out of it daily but I really want to run a full before I'm 50yrs old.  I've got 4 years to get it done.  I've only run 15 miles to date so I will have to push myself to increase my miles over the next 5 months and I have already added a 5th day of running to my schedule.  I start working out at the gym tominght and will work out on my two days off from running to build core and ab' muscles.  I am hoping it will help me with speed and indurance.  I'll be getting on the dreadmill atleast once a week to work on speed and hill repeats.  I hope everyone had a wonderfull christmas!

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010

I joined the challenge and have had a couple of friends do the same.  I also became a friend of John Bingham on FB.  I'm glad you signed on so I could find you

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    1,253. Dec 27, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

emmaleigh47 wrote:

I also got a Garmin for Christmas... very excited about that. The Nike plus is accurate for shorter distances, but on my 8 mile run it was almost a full 0.5 mile off..

But since I am a Garmin virgin I do have a question... will it work indoors on the track at teh YMCA or not?

emmaleigh, it might be able to get a satellite signal indoors, you can check it and see. If not, check to see if the model you got comes with an optional foot pod you can buy and calibrate for distance. I have done that and when I run indoors on the treadmill, I turn the GPS off and the foot pod tracks the distance. it's always off from what the treadmill says, for both speed and distance. I figure the truth is somewhere in between the two.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• Watchmomrun Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    1,254. Dec 27, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to Donna914)

Anyone here have the problem of being a part of a local running group and being too slow to keep up with even the lowest runners in the group. My group runs are turning into solo runs because I can't keep up. I love to run in the group and everyone is very nice and I really don't want or expect them to slow down for me, I'm just frustrated!! Not only that, it's a night run, so safety wise, it's a little scary to be out there alone anyway. Now that the weather is colder all of the slower runners in our group stay home and run on there treadmill, but the "hardcore fasties" are out there and I am stuck with them : ) They keep encouraging me saying that I will eventually become fast like them but I don't think I want to. I am 42 years old and have only been running for about a year now and am quite content that I have already completed 2 half marathons in under 2 1/2 hours and can run a 10m-11m mile on long runs and my 5K time is 27:36. I don't want to go any faster!! I like going slower. Ugh!! I don't really expect anyone to have a solution to this problem, LOL! Just venting because it's Monday night, group run night, and I'm already stressing about it, and perhaps trying to talk myself out of it, hehe!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,255. Dec 27, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

I did run on my treadmill this morning and didn't think to wear it? I'm going to run again this evening so I'll put it on and see what happens.

Dec 7, 2010
    1,256. Dec 27, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to Watchmomrun)

Hi Watchmomrun: don't stress and definately don't talk yourself out of it. Do you have a head lamp? That may help. I carry a couple keys that I have and have them pointed out in case I need to use them as well.. like.. a safety weapon that I can poke.

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• FunRunSue Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    1,257. Dec 27, 2010 6:41 PM (in response to Watchmomrun)

Watchmomrun - wish you lived by me - sounds like we run at the same pace.  I don't know if we have a running club in my home town, but I know there is a group at work that runs, but they are too fast for me.  I think it would be fun to do a night run with a group though.  I live in a fairly safe area, and it's pretty cold out.  Most of the weirdos are indoors right now.    Congrats on doing two halves in your first year running!  I started running in 2007, and have done one half so far.  Doing another one this spring though.

Emmaleigh - bummer about the blisters.  I have never had that issue -wish I knew what to tell you.  I thought I remember you saying you are from the Appleton area though.  Have you tried talking to the people at Fleet Feet?  They might be able to help you?

Slow Running - I also want to do a full before I turn 50.  My goal is to run one in 2012.  I will be 48.  I wasn't sure I ever wanted to do a full because of the time involved with training.  It's a lot of hours to invest.  After my friend and I ran the half, we 'pinkie swore' that we wouldn't run a full.  But now I'm thinking that for a runner, I need to do a full to round out my running bucket list.  Plus I want the sticker on my car.  On your FR60, does it have GPS to give you mileage?

Kristy - I feel your holiday weight pain.  I was so bloated by Sunday - my 4 mile run was very slow and the first mile was excruciating.  Very glad to be back on program!

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,258. Dec 27, 2010 8:15 PM (in response to Watchmomrun)

Watchmomrun - First of all, you are not slow.  I am about twice as slow as you, and would love to be able to run at your speed.  Because of that, I have avoided being in running groups because they don't work out for me, and I actually do better when I am by myself.  I would also be left to do a solo run if I were to join a running group.  If you would still like to be part of a group, here is one suggestion.  Maybe you could start out earlier than the rest of the group, while it is still light out.  Then the rest of the group could catch up to you later, and then you would not be alone.  What time do the evening group runs start, and approximately what time does it get dark in your area?  Does your schedule allow so that you might be able to start early?

Dec 7, 2010
    1,259. Dec 28, 2010 3:18 AM (in response to mythic)

So I just did my W3D1 what a workout! I almost quit but I did not. Plus I was on my dreadmill and I can't wait for my W3D2 workout because it will be warm enough to be outside (thank god!!!!) I do feel great though despite a cold I am fighting.

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...