Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4932 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 8:27 AM by flamomof3 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
shorty8213 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 13, 2010 3:37 PM

Completed my first 5k EVER

When I began the couch to 5k program, I wondered if I could really finish.  Week after week I would search this discussion board reading the stories of others in order to convice myself that I could do it--and I did!  When I began the program I couldn't run for five minutes without stopping.  This past Saturday, I jogged a 5k without stopping to walk.  Yes, I finished at a very slow 35:00,  but two months ago even that time would have been an impossibility.  The runs I still find difficult and long, but I worked hard, and have inspired myself.  I know that sounds cheesy, but reaching this goal felt amazing.  And even though I haven't yet developed a love for running, I do love the way I feel when I have finished a laborious run--and I believe as my 3 miles runs get easier--bc I will continue running--a love for the actual running will develop.

If you are just starting this program, try your best to push through the tough days and force yourself to get out there--the end result and pride you will feel at the end of the ten weeks will be worth it.

• Lisa9410 Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    1. Dec 13, 2010 6:55 PM (in response to shorty8213)
    Congrats!

Congrats on your 5k!  I just wanted to say that I finished c25k in September and am just learning to love running. The long runs are becoming my favorite. It's pretty cold here now, 10 degrees for my run tonight, but it was great. Stick with it and one day soon you will grow to love it.  Have you read Born to Run? Reading about barefoot running and ultra runners inspired me to try run longer.

7/5/10 -Started C25K

9/4/10 -Finished C25K

First 5K: Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K - 34:50

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Dec 14, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to shorty8213)
    Re: Completed my first 5k EVER

Congrats on your 1st 5K, you should be very proud!   I was where you are a few years ago, as you do a 10K the 5K seems easier, as you do a 1/2 the 10K does not seem that long, as you do a marathon the 1/2 does not seem that long.   The distances get easier after you do them, enjoy take it slow, but don't stop.  Running does become part of your life!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 14, 2010 9:50 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congrats on your First Race!

• dmbowman12 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    4. Dec 14, 2010 10:03 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congrats on your run!  I have my first ever 5K this Sunday in Boston and while I am beyond excited - I am super nervous.  I think this may be the scariest thing ever for me.  I've had some serious issues with my knees in the past but I was officially cleared to run by my orthopedic,  I did the training with couch to 5k but have to confess the past few weeks with my knee have been diffcult.  I tried for a mile without stopping over the weekend and barely made it   But everyday is a new day and the knee feels better today than yesterday!   I don't want to miss the race as I think I need to step away from whats safe for me and just DO IT!  I am done with the excuses - its time.  But I am really nervous!

CONGRATS again to you!  It's inspiring!

• Mike42072 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    5. Dec 14, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to shorty8213)

Congrats!

I also did my first 5K this weekend and it was the most rewarding experience I have ever had.

A year and a half ago I was almost 300 lbs, smoked 2 packs of smokes a day, kept places like McDonalds in business, had out of control diabetes, and was told that I had dialated cardiomyopathy and was on route to a heart transplant.

Having 3 beautiful children and a wonderful wife I knew once and for all this was not acceptable. My littlew brother had started running a few years ago and had just ran the NYC marathon and he inspired me. I began following all of the doctors rules in regards to diet, stopped smoking and my heart grew stronger. I then began to run. I used to get winded just walking to my kitchen! but I kep on running, I followed a simply program, relyed on my brothers guidence and finally this weekend I did it...I ran and completed my first 5K in 40:30, 55 lbs lighter!

I am hooked! The feeling of crossing the finish line will never get old to me! My brother actually had to settle me down because I want to do to much to fast....but I am inspired. For now I will keep running, focus on my next 5K and make a decision from there as to whats next....probably a 10K.

Congrats to all who accomplished even one block today when you couldnt even get off the couch just a short time ago. I have been there and I refuse to go back!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    6. Dec 15, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congratulations! I remember by first 5K race...and it is an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Good for you!

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

• loolie Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 21, 2010
    7. Dec 21, 2010 11:55 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congratulations!! That is an amazing accomplishment and I hope to someday be able to do this, too!

• Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
    Nov 14, 2010
    8. Dec 22, 2010 5:56 AM (in response to RunningErika)

Congrats to Erika and all the other first time 5k'ers.

I ran my 1st 5K in 10+ years the day after Thanksgiving.  I have another coming up on New Year's Day.

Erika - your post was very inspirational.  I'd like to share with you that I just started running earlier in November.  The first few weeks I had to really commit / drag myself out the door to start my run and I could feel myself groan when I HAD to run 2 miles. I now have a few runs of 4,5, and 6 miles which I really enjoyed. I get excited now just thinking about pushing my distances farther and farther.  I am planning a 7 mile run now, which I hope to get in before Christmas.  My gift to myself.  LOL.. Would you consider a 7 mile run, mostly down hill as cheating:)?  I ran my 6 miler mainly up hill.

Now running 3 miles seems like a day off and I really enjoy it, much more than i thought I would.   I don't really run very fast (about a 12 minute mile).

Good luck and keep up the GREAT work.

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    9. Dec 23, 2010 6:59 PM (in response to shorty8213)

Congrats!!!  Now, its time for a 10k!

Keep up the good work & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • ready2runn Amateur 29 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    10. Dec 24, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congrats on your first 5k!! I finished the C25K about a month ago and I'm signed up for a 5k in April.... thanks for posting this and sharing your enthusiasm, its contagious!!!

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." -Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever".  - Lance Armstrong

Began Couch-to 5K  9/29/10

Goal: To graduate the program within 12 weeks or by New Years 2011!!!

COMPLETED C25K 12/2/2010!!!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    11. Dec 24, 2010 6:36 PM (in response to shorty8213)

Wow!!  What an awesome & inspirational msg that reminds me of how rewarding running really is.  You rock shorty8213!!

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • BethanySL Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    12. Dec 27, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Congratulations on your accomplishment!  Great job!

Today is my first day on Couch to 5K.  I could only complete 17 minutes and not the full 20, but reading your post is great inspiration for me.  I'm a bit overweight and out of shape, but I am inspired.  On to your 10K now.

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    13. Dec 27, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to shorty8213)

Shorty, congratulations! I know how you feel and it's great, isn't it??? Do not worry about needing to go for a 10k distance just yet. Enjoy and savor this accomplishment and work on getting comfortable with this distance. Learn to love running before pushing it, ok? You can do some shorter runs and work on quickening your pace if you want to try getting faster. Read up about tempo runs and intervals, and break up your running routine to keep it fresh and efficient.

Well done!

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    14. Dec 27, 2010 10:41 AM (in response to Mike42072)

Right on, Mike! Well done. don't stop posting, you are quite the inspiration for many who are beginners, or are too scared to make the changes they need to for their good health.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...