Skip navigation

1056 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 1:13 PM by 23AllDayEveryDay RSS
CKnicker Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2010 9:45 PM

Total lifestyle revamp, help needed.

Hey guys hows it going? I'm new to this site but certainly not new to basketball sites and basketball in general. I've come here looking for some strong advice. I plan on revamping some major parts of my lifestyle, this includes my hours of sleep, my practice habits, my practice times, and extra training outside of school.

A little bit about me, I've played AAU Basketball since 6th grade year. I'm now in the beginning of my Sophmore year and it was a great decision to go play. It turned me to an unathletic, overweight, quitter, to an athlete thats slightly above average, but nothing special mind you. It has taught me many life lessons and so I want to pursue a career in basketball. I've had coaches, all very respected, tell me that I should be able to play college ball if I work hard at it, maybe not D1 though. Anyways onto the purpose of this thead, I just thought I would give you a little backgrounf information.

I currently have a less than great program in high school for basketball, so I have to look elsewhere to improve and take into my own hands. Our practices do not give much of a workout. So I am looking to go to the next level of basketball from the level I mentioned above. To give you and example of what I do on a typical day. I first go to our morning weight program, we lift 4 days a week, Monday through Thursday, from 6:30 AM till 7:30, at which point I go to school till 2:35. From there I head to basketball practice, theres no consistency in what we practice so its not worth mentioning. Basketball practice lasts till about 5:00 to 5:30. I usually then go home, do homework, and take the rest of the night off. We have games on Tuesdays and Thursdays we have games. Now I don't think a total revamp is in order in the middle of the season, I'm talking about from the end of this season to the beginning of next season. After the season I'll have track workout in the afternoon and weights still in the morning. As well as my AAU team starting up. Where this whole lifestyle revamp comes in is that I want to make my schedule something like this:

1. Basketball training 4 days a week.
  2. Weights 4 days a week
  3. Cardio ( Track will definately cover this) 5 days a week
  4. Take Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off as this schedule will definately require a lot of sleep.

So I need help figuring out what to do about my diet, and the off hours as well as the extra basketball training. So I'll go into detail in 3 sections

Diet:I don't have a terrible diet but I don't have the best either. And I'm looking for some advice on a 3 course-a-day meal plan. I have in mind a protein shake before weights as well as a breakfast bar after. And for lunch, a PB&J Sandwhich with a drink ( One of the things I need help choosing.) As well as a few snacks too. Again, need help choosing those too. At home, I don't think it will be a major flaw to eat whatever my mother cooks, after all she is a good cook.

Off Hours: During my off hours mainly the first thing I do is work on homework, after that I struggle finding something to do. I plan on going to bed at 9:30 in order to get enough sleep for the schedule I am trying to do. I often play xbox, but because of recent grounding due to grades I find myself watching TV for the evening. Definaltey need a constructive hobby.

Extra Training: As for extra training, I'm gonna guess I'll grow 2 to 4 more inches by my freshman year in college, that puts me at about 6'4 to 6'6. I believe with the way I play that I would be best at Small Forward. However I feel I should just work on every area of the game and see where it takes me. So I need help from you guys in a few suggestions of what to train on, I feel my weakest areas are ball handling, discipline, and some what shooting I guess. I've done some drills over these but I need a workout regime and all suggestions are appreciated.

So I think that about wraps up my "little thread" thanks to all who actually read it. I hope to hear from you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points