Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48743 Views 324 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 11:58 AM by Debbie215 RSS 1 2 3 ... 22 Previous Next
christiewa Expert 40 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2010 9:15 PM

Starting C25K 1/1/11!  Who wants to join me?

Hello!

I have completed the C25K program once before and then stopped when I finished it.  Then started again in October, but had to drop out due to an illness.  Since it's that time of year for resolutions and I'm signed up for a Triathlon in July, I'm ready to get serious about my training and get prepared.  I have an iPod touch with a great C25K app.  I live in the Seattle area so I plan to do most of my running outside.  But with enough rain, I'm not too proud to resort to a treadmill either.   My plan is to do my training M W F, but starting 1/3/11 didn't look quite as good a 1/1/11, so I'll do 4 days of week 1.

A little about me, I am a happily married, 40ish year old mom of four small kids aged 4,6,9 and 10.  I also have two crazy dogs.  Would like to get fit and lose some of that baby weight, finally.... 

Christie

Events:

St. Paddy's Day Dash 5K Seattle, WA              3/13/11

Beat the Bridge 8K  Seattle,  Wa                     5/15/11

Race the River Triathlon  Coeur d'Alene ID     7/24/11

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    1. Dec 30, 2010 8:29 AM (in response to christiewa)
    Re: Starting C25K 1/1/11! Who wants to join me?

Hi Christie!  Count me in for almost 1/1/11 lol!  Like you, I prefer the look of starting on the first, but realistically, Mon 1/3 works better for my schedule, so that's my start date.  I've started and stopped the C25K program more than once, but am resolved to go the distance this time.  I just turned 40 (eek!) last fall and am motivated to be stronger and live healthier than I ever have.  I live in Los Angeles, but find I do better on a treadmill at first (keeps me at a consistent pace), so will start off running inside MWF.  I tend to start off fine, but then lose focus and commitment.  But that needs to change, so here goes!

Really glad to have found someone else starting soon too!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• JakesMomma Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Dec 30, 2010 9:43 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hi!  Can I join you also?  I was planning on doing this anyway, but it might be nice to have someone (or more than one) to keep me motivated.  I am also in Washington (Covington area) and plan on running outside when the weather allows.  I also have a gym at work I can use when it's either too cold or just plain too wet.  I have a 17 mo old baby and am in desperate need of getting back into shape before I plan on having another baby (maybe in the next year...).

Good luck to us all!

P.S. My birthday is 1/2!

• dfarley911 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 13, 2009
    5. Dec 30, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hi everyone!! I would love to join you guys as well. My name is Danielle and I just turned 32 in December. I was doing the Power 90 workout program and stopped right around my birthday. I plan to start that as of 1/1 as well but I really want to enjoy running. I am a mom to a 12 yr old and I was in the Army Reserves right out of HS. I hated running then and I want to learn to at least like it. I have a gym membership for when the weather isn't good but I want to do most my running outside - I'm on the east coast in MA, half way between Boston and Cape Cod. I'd say my biggest issue with running is my shins hurt right off the bat. i am 5'5" and weigh 262 so i am sure the added weight isn't helping the issue

• ErinCanRun Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    6. Dec 30, 2010 12:17 PM (in response to dfarley911)

Hi There! I'd like to join you as well! My name is Erin and after a couple babies and 60lb gain its time i got back into running again. I'm a nurse and work 40 hours a week so that's been the hardest part for me; find the time to fit exercise and me time in. My plan is to run Sat and Sun and then at least once (maybe twice) during the work week. I feel pretty guilty about it but i'll have to drop the kids off early at daycare or pick them up late for those 2 days, its the only way I can fit it in....but i HAVE to be healthy.

I used to run a lot, and i really loved it, so i am hoping to eventually get back to that place.

Anyway, i look forward to getting to know everyone here and have some place to hold me accountable!! =)

Happy New Year!

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Emerson

"If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it." - Ben

• uwould2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    7. Dec 30, 2010 4:49 PM (in response to christiewa)

I would love to join you also!  My name is Kathy and I'm a couch potato.  I actually started the C25K program yesterday and I plan to run MWF as well.  I live in Michigan, so I'm hoping to be able to run outdoors as much as possible, but we have a lot of winter ahead of us still.  I'm 36 and I've always been very active and fit until recently.  I had three kids in the last 5 years and now I'm completely out of shape, embarrassed and disgusted.

I'm so glad to have found your group and am really looking forward to the support we can all give one another.  Couch Potatoes Unite!!

• nursingstudent17 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    8. Dec 30, 2010 6:21 PM (in response to christiewa)

Hi everyone! I am also looking to start the C25K this first of January! I am by no means overweight (I actually like my body) but I cannot remember the last time I exercised--I guess I am just kind of lucky like that for now, but I just turned 21 and based on my family history I see that I won't always look like this!! I want to get into a solid exercise routine at this age so that when I am 50 I won't have to worry about heart disease or diabetes like those before me. Also, I am a nursing student and I am supposed to educate patients on the importance of a balanced diet and exercise routine...how can I do this well if I can't even follow one myself?!

Anyways, I am very excited to begin the C25K and I look forward to having moral support from you all!!

• Latinacowgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 25, 2009
    9. Dec 30, 2010 6:36 PM (in response to christiewa)

I am in too! I have run walked 8 half marathons and 1 full marathon since June 2008. I still am unable to run more than 2 miles without stopping and that was earlier this year. I just have not made myself train properly. This year will be different. I have the C25K ap on my iphone. I also have the nike+ program. If we all have either a ipod or a either the iphone or the ipod touch maybe we can all sign up for nike and do a challange and that way we can keep up with each other each day as we down load our information. My name is CalCowgirl on nike+... I am 43 years old will be 44 in Feb and will be running the Princess 1/2 with my husband in Feb in Orlando. This is my birthday trip this year.

I will be running with my 6 year old Australian Sheppard JD. We will be outside as often as we can but when the weather is not cooperating I will be on the treadmill. I will Start my official running on 1/1/11

• ShutterHappy Amateur 32 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    10. Dec 30, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to christiewa)

Hi, I would like to join you as well. My name is Lorie and I am a 46 year old mother of 3, ages 23,20 and 16. June 15 I joined Weight Watchers and I have lost 43 pounds since then. I have reached my goal weight, but feel as if I need to still lose a little more and get in shape cardiovascular wise. I plan on doing my running 3 days a week and at least 2 days of strength training. I also started yesterday, so will be a few days ahead of you, I think I would like to be on a MWF plan, but this week will do Wed Fri Sun. Then Tues, Thur, Sat, and by the third week back to a Mon Wed Fri. kind of week. I am registering for a Feb 26 5K here in Louisville and I wanted to make this my first week, so I will be at the end of the program by racetime. 

I am so nervous and excited at the same time. My husband is an athlete and is very supportive. He is going to run the race with me and run with me on any days I ask him to here. I will be doing many days on the treadmill and throw in some outside runs also.

Can't wait to have everyone reporting in with their workouts!!

Lorie

• cypressmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    11. Dec 30, 2010 8:50 PM (in response to christiewa)

YEAH!  I'm so excited.. I would love to join... I started today (and am going to run tomorrow and the next day so I can start week 2 on Monday)... I am a mother of 3  (14,9, 4) .  I am very active and have always  been athletic... BUT HATE TO RUN!  I have realized that I am a big goal setter and love to go after things..   I was always looking at other runners thinking I could never do a marathon or be a runner... recently I was sent immediatly to the doctors office for having extremly high blood pressure.  I never had any problems before , and I'm only 35.  I lost vision in my left eye and lost all feeling in my hands.  I am not over weight and I am in "good" shape...and still it was life threatning.

I've made it my goal to become a runner for my health and anxiety level and for my family!  I'm looking forward to hearing everyones posts.  I started today and it was definitly challenging at the end because its been a while since I've been at the gym...but my goals for this year is to run a 5 k by April, and a half marathon by the end of the year!

I'm super blessed to have found this thread and community... Encouragement is always the best!

Jennifer

Mom of 3...Cypress, TX

2011 Running a 5K by May

and a 1/2 Marathon by the end of the year!  

• ShutterHappy Amateur 32 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    13. Dec 31, 2010 7:27 AM (in response to christiewa)

W1D2 complete for me! I have not had a hard time this week, but we will see next week as the walk time gets shorter .... 

I am tired at the end of the 60 seconds, but not gasping. ha  My husband was still at the YMCA this morning when I got there. He played basketball and was going to head home, but asked if I wanted to do weights before going home. So instead of going back tomorrow for that I went ahead and did a few weights today. I am afraid tomorrow the gym is going to be CRAZY!  I also enjoyed having him make sure I was doing it right ... he is so encouraging!

I am pumped and really excited about this group! Starting tomorrow, we will ALL be doing this!! For weight loss, health concerns, whatever... we can all do this!!!

Have a great New Years everyone!!

Lorie

Lorie

• AllieRuns Amateur 21 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    14. Dec 31, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to christiewa)

I would love to join in as well. I have tried to commit to this in the past and never followed through. I realize now that I use a LOT of excuses. Primarily my work schedule. I am a 42 year old mom of 2 (12 and 9 year old) and have about 40# to lose. UGH. I have been carrying this weight since the birth of my second child and I just need to STOP the madness and get rid of it once and for all! I am WORTH it (or so I keep trying to convince myself). I joined WW online on 12/29 and so far so good. I started C25K on 12/27 and have completed week one. But I need to go slow with this weight and my back issues. Sigh. Looking forward to 2011 and a 5K in the spring. I live in the mid-Atlantic so I will probably be running inside until March. It is hard enough for me to motivate to do this without it being COLD and DARK out. On work days I get up at 515 and leave the house at 615 and am not home until after 8p...so I do not think It will be realistic for me to get up earlier or run after work on those days...My schedule fluctuates so I did M-W-Th (and will do something today) and then work the weekend. Next week I can do M-W-Sa. Looking forward to the support!

Allie

1 2 3 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points