Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

857429 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 297 Previous Next
  • FunRunSue Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,275. Dec 29, 2010 1:22 PM (in response to Slow Running)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Slow Running - thanks for the tip on where to find the fr60.  I'll check into it.  I did see the 305 on the Best Buy site for 150, and on the Amazon site for 128 (it was out of stock or I would have bought it).  It was interesting to read someones comment about being able to go out the door and just take off, without having a pre-planned route in mind.  I am not sure I can be that spontaneous - I am so used to having my route set in my head before I leave.  It's all part of the mental part of running for me.  But for trails, it would be really nice to have.  I guess I could get wild and crazy one day and just go out without a pre-planned route one day...

Allen008 - you are amazing.  I sincerely hope I am running and active when I am 75.  My mom is 78 and still walks quite a bit (she was never a runner, always a walker) but my dad has slowed down considerably.  He ran when he was in his forties, and then blew his sciatic, and had to quit.  He never picked it back up again, nor did he start anything new, like cycling or hiking, etc.  I can see a huge difference between them in mobility.  My mom still moves like she was 20 years younger.  My dad moves like he is 79 (which he is).  Also, I read your blog - I want my mom to start a blog so I might show her yours.  Thanks for the inspiration!

• Allen008 Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    1,276. Dec 29, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to FunRunSue)

You're welcome, Sue. I have an old Garmin 101 that I use to measure distance and to check my pace once in a while. I also like the freedom to run where ever I want and to let the Garmin tell me how far I've gone. I'm slowly increasing my distance, and I use the Garmin to tell me when I've reached a new turn-around point. When that happens, I'll look around for something, a tree, a large rock, a particular house, etc.,  that I can remember as the turn-around point. I don't use most of the features of the Garmin. I'd like to get a new 310, but I can't justify the price. Maybe in a couple of years when the cost is down.

I'm glad that your mother is still active. Walking is a great exercise, and it puts much, much less stress on ones body. I tell people that everyone should walk but only people who really enjoy it and who can do so without injury should run.

Personal Blog

http://oldmanrunning.org

Training Blog

http://runninginjuryfree.org

Twitter

http://twitter.com/NoInjuries

• ragingsamster Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    1,277. Dec 29, 2010 2:43 PM (in response to Allen008)

Being a geek way before I began running, I like to have data, lots of data. The Garmin 305 has been my trusty running partner for over a year. As a running tool, it has no equal. The ability to know how your body is doing during a run is indispensible. I am a slow runner by necessity. I try to run to a specific heart rate rather than speed, typically HRmax - 50 or 135bpm for me. The Garmin keeps me on track and I find at this rate I can go forever, can run daily, and do not suffer near the soreness or injuries if I run at a higher heart rate ( races I will run between 165-175)

Having distance measured accurately was the selling point on the Garmin but now I find the heart rate meter much more a necessity than the other activity information. It's fun to see how your overall feeling changes through differing heartrates ( 10 bpm can mean the difference between exhausted and invigorated) and it's instructive to see how changing running techniques and breathing cadences can affect the heartrate at a given pace.

Currently I don't run for fitness or for competition, I run for endorphins and stress relief. but I still like to have the data available to analyze how I'm doing and notice trends.

Started exercising - 6/2009

Started running - 9/2009

First race - Kent Christmas rush finished 4th (from last!) in my age group 1:03:19 for 10K

Longest run to date - 26 miles - Green River Marathon! June 5th 2010

http://ragingsamster.blogspot.com/2010/06/gollum-runs-marathon.html

My blog - http://www.runningintherain.net

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,278. Dec 29, 2010 5:19 PM (in response to SuzieOH)

SuzieStow:  Too many treadmills wind up as clothes hangers after a few weeks or months, despite the initial best intentions of the purchaser.  Somehow, I don't think yours will suffer that fate.  Post a picture for us of you and your new best friend.

Second, you are asking for trouble if you do that 5K on Friday if you feel as badly as your post indicates.  You are right to be very cautious.

Everybody go back and re-read Allen008's post about rest and recovery.  He is so right that two hard running days in a row is not a good idea.  The body needs time to get ready for and then to recover from a hard effort.  I learned the hard way by trying to do a medium distance or a tempo run the day after an 8-10 miler.  If I want to do anything, I do some light cross-training or 30 minutes walking.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Dec 29, 2010
    1,279. Dec 29, 2010 5:52 PM (in response to ragingsamster)

"It's fun to see how your overall feeling changes through differing  heartrates ( 10 bpm can mean the difference between exhausted and  invigorated)"

Very true! True for resting heart rate, too. I measure my resting heart rate when I first wake up in the morning. My normal is about 50. So, a 10% increase (55) means my body is tired but I can still have a good workout. A 20% increase (60) means my body is really tired and I'll have a poor workout, and I usually do a shorter, slower run if I do go out, or I stay home and rest. The purpose of your heart is to get oxygen to the body, and if your body needs more oxygen due to being tired, your heart beats faster. For those interested in reading more about resting heart rate, here is my page on health that has a paragraph about resting heart rate.

Personal Blog

Training Blog

Twitter

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    1,280. Dec 29, 2010 7:16 PM (in response to Allen008)

Allen- What a lot of wisdom in your posts and blogs...thank you, hope you keep posting!

I also "friended" John Bingham and signed up for his 100 day challenge...I'm looking forward to it! Had some plans change for our family these last 2 weeks and will be moving out of the country in April so since I can't train for the march half marathon and will miss the June half I decided to do this challenge to maintain my sanity and fitness while coordinating packing,traveling to secure a new home and the many details that come with leaving for a new country....this is all GOOD stress but I NEED to run LOL!!

Maybe as the move gets closer my mileage will increase!!!!

Happy running all...Susan

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

Dec 29, 2010
    1,281. Dec 29, 2010 9:19 PM (in response to Donna914)

Here are a few ideas that you might consider if you're just getting started as a runner.

Personal Blog

Training Blog

Twitter

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,282. Dec 29, 2010 9:28 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Sorry to hear we'll be losing you!  However, they'll have internet anywhere you go, so you can make us international by posting your activities and keeping us all up to date. That's very exciting!

Bummer -- took my first hard fall tonight and it was only on a 5K walk for pete's sake.  Twisted one ankle and down hard on a concrete curb with both knees and hands on a gravel walkway -- I'm already seeing some beautiful colors that I never knew existed. Oh well, tomorrow was going to be a rest day anyway and  now I'll just add application of the rest of the RICE program.  I don't seem to be seriously injured -- just sore and slightly embarrassed.  However, anyone who walks and runs is going to fall some time.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,283. Dec 30, 2010 5:53 AM (in response to susanbarron)

Susan: Best of luck with the move out of the country. Don't give up hope on doing a half where ever you move to because I am sure there will be one where you are going. Keep us posted!!!!!

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    1,284. Dec 30, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to Allen008)

Allen, I'm loving your posts! I'm so glad you found us. I am the worlds worst at attending to my heart rate. I agree that resting HR first thing in the morning should then dictation what your workout should be that day. Am I doing it? No. Will I? Maybe. (grin)

ragingsamster, data became my enemy. Especially when numbers started going south, it was very disheartening to me. I'd like to get to the point where I just run, not really caring what my pace is or how far I've gone. I've already taken off the HR monitor because I haven't figured my max heart rate out and was just going by the old standby 220-age calculation, which isn't accurate. And I was always above where I "should be" when I would run. I think there is a really good reason for monitoring it, but until I get off my duff and get my true max figured, it's useless information.

susanbarron, congrats on the move! (I think?) Do keep running, it'll help you maintain your sanity. I did not sign up for the 100 day challenge because I will be running my first half marathon next month and will need recovery time after that. So I didn't think I could honestly say I would do 100 days of exercise without a day off. It is a great concept, and will give a tangible goal to those who need and want it.

retiredgirl61, I'm glad you're ok! I worry that I will hurt myself by falling prior to my race. But if it happens, it happens and I just deal with it. I missed the last step the other night and fell down on the basement floor, but fortunately it was carpeted and even more fortunately I didn't hurt myself whatsoever. Surprised the heck out of me!

Waddle on, all!

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

Dec 29, 2010
    1,285. Dec 30, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

CoolBikerMom,

You mentioned maximum heart rate, and I thought I'd give my opinion about that. I think it is a good idea to use running zones to plan for your training. Zones are relative to your maximum heart rate (MHR) and usually cover 5-10% of your MHR. For example a "typical" runner who is older and overweight might want to run at a pace of 60-65% for Long Slow Distance (LSD). A younger runner who is overweight or an older runner who isn't overweight might want to run at 65-70%. Runners who are in pretty good shape might want to run LSD at 70-80%, speed workouts or hills at 80-85% and sprints at 90-95%. Because zones cover a range of MHR, they help smooth out differences between actual MHR and calculated MHR.

There are several equations in common use that calculte ones MHR, and these equations give different results. Suppose, for example, you calculate your MHR with two equations and get 160 and 168. Also, lets assume you're running at 70% of your MHR, or 112 and 118, respectively. The difference between the two MHR is 8 but the difference between the two 70% numbers is 6. Thus, running in zones reduces the difference between the various MHR that are calculated.

Now, here is my method for choosing which which calculated MHR to use. If you want to maximize your training, choose the highest calculated MHR. If you want to reduce the stress on your body, choose the lowest MHR or a MHR between the max and min values. So, younger runners will tend to choose higher values, and we masters will likely choose lower values. Runners who are losing weight will likely choose even lower values. If you feel the calculated MHR are still to high, then invent a lower number for MHR and base your zones on that. You are the only one who can tell how much stress your body can handle.

The bottom line is this: Choose a calculated MHR that reduces or increases the stress on your body, depending on your goals and your health. Then, choose a zone that further reduces the stress on your body, again depending on your goals for a particular run and upon your health. The most important thing is that you don't over-stress your body. Keep the stress from running under control and let time and miles have their effect in making you a stronger, healthier, happier person.

Personal Blog

Training Blog

Twitter

• SuzieOH Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1,286. Dec 30, 2010 2:56 PM (in response to Allen008)

Allen - you are an amazing resource of information and an inspiration to us all!

Steve - I will see how I feel tomorrow.  Today sinuses felt better - Doctor went ahead and wrote an antibiotic scrip but we agreed I would hold off another day or two and see if I really need it.  I hate to take them unless I need them - so I am going to do some of my personal mojo to see what I can do.  After the first of the year my work will be crazy - so I want to hit the new year healthy.  If I feel better yet tomorrow, I will walk/run it - and if not, will bail with no qualms.  Doctor felt that cough was drainage related rather than bronchial issues and he believes I will be ok - IF I feel up to it.

Dreadmill comes next week.  In my world - it will be great - I am a working  empty nester with two big fat labbies - and gym time generally means I need to get a doggy sitter for them because it makes for too long a day for them.  So it will be nice to use that gym time for cross training and weights, and then I can do my cold-weather running at home.  I would guess it will see 1-2x a week until it gets warmer. 

I need to make my plan for my next half marathon that I am going to attempt - my first one was mostly walking (did not train at all to run it).  I am already at the point where I can fairly comfortably do 4-5 miles so am hoping that I can improve my performance even more over the next 4 months!  I am doing it with my college roommate - and I think she has done Galloway method in the ones that she has done.

Do you have any good suggestions on plans?  I have some ideas - but any tips would be great!

Akron RoadRunner HM 9/25/2010 3:15:44

Great New Year's Eve 5k  12/31/2010  39:33

Shamrock 5k 3/6/2011 35:05

Black Squirrel 5k  4/2/2011

Cincinnati Flying Pig HM May 1, 2011

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k May 15, 2011

Akron RoadRunner HM  Sept 24, 2011

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,287. Dec 30, 2010 4:08 PM (in response to Donna914)

If your Yaktraks have sprung a spring then look up (duenorth shoe chains) on web.  They come in a 3 or 4 differant styles and you should find one you like.  Mine finally broke durring my 4 mile run today.  I found a pair with snaps on the bottoms and thick rubber.  There are actual chains on some and then for the hard winter snow there are ones with teeth and chains.  The prices are pretty good on them also.  I hope this will help those of you need to get through the snow.

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    1,288. Dec 30, 2010 5:19 PM (in response to Slow Running)

Thanks for all the info Allen. I looked at your blog. Good stuff there.

I'm going to be joining a gym to do cross-training and to run on an indoor track if the weather gets icy again. It's a "heart health fitness center" so they make you take a stress test in order to join. I hope to know more about my heart rate after that. Might have to invest in a monitor. It still is a bit greek to me with all the terminology, but it seems like I can get more bang for my run and workout buck if I know what my heart rate should be. Never thought I'd say that, but I also never thought, when I timidly began jiggling along for 60 seconds at a time back in March that I'd still be running 9 months later!

Thanks Slowrunning (and others) for the info about yaktraks and the duenorth shoe chains. I have such a fear of falling that I'd probably fall if I ran on ice even if I didn't slip! So much of this running stuff is mental. So, for now, I'm going to stick to indoor running unless the streets are clear.

I'll be racing tomorrow! I thought I was going to do a New Year's day 5K, but I was wrong about the time when it started and hubby and I have a conflict. So instead I found a race in Granville (saying that for Ohioans among us) about an hour from Columbus tomorrow afternoon. So it will be my last race of 2010. I think it's a great way to send out the old year.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

~ Nita

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Hi Everyone, I only ran 3 miles..kids are home till Monday so I ran in the neighborhood. I went to the library today and I checked out Runing and Walking for Women over 40 by Katherine Switzer and Run Fast (how to train for a 5K or 10-k Race)by Hal Higdon. The weather here this weekend is around 77 so Happy about that!

1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...