Skip navigation

1046 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2011 9:19 PM by AleksiL RSS
Kentucky'sNextsf55 Amateur 28 posts since
Mar 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 30, 2010 2:19 PM

Transitioning. ADVICE PLEASE

I am 6'1, 160 pds, and 15 years old.i played a 3,4 position in 8th grade. i was not able to try out for my high school team this year because i injured my knee. Now i am fully recovered but i am out of shape. Being only 6'1 i will probably have to play a guard or a small forward SO year. Any advice for getting back in shape and changing positions (Also how to get faster and more quick on my feet) will be greatly appreciated.

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1. Dec 30, 2010 2:33 PM (in response to Kentucky'sNextsf55)
    Re: Transitioning. ADVICE PLEASE

Prime example of why kids should learn to handle the basketball at early development levels.  Not saying you can't but if you are that worried about transitioning from 3/4 to 1/2...I would work on ball handling as much as you can over the next year.  Don't care how good a shooter you are ...if you can play D and handle the rock, coach will find a spot for you...

As for the conditioning...that's hard because good shape doesn't necessarily mean "game shape"...I would get your core strong and work on your legs and areobic condition...that will prep you for "game shape"...If you truly have a year, maybe try to get stronger through your school weights program..

Hope that helps (from a youth travel coach and 11 year basketball official).

C-Doggs

• AleksiL Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    2. Jan 1, 2011 9:19 PM (in response to Kentucky'sNextsf55)
    Re: Transitioning. ADVICE PLEASE

If you run a mile, or more, do you feel winded? The first thing I'd start on would be endurance conditioning. Make sure you aren't fighting your body. If you didn't gain a lot of weight (chances are, you didn't because you're young) when you were sitting, then you will have an easier time. I can't tell you how important it is to have energy and good breathing as the game goes on. You will be more comfortable playing than even the big muscle-packed players who get winded.

Think about players like Steve Nash. He's not physically gifted, yet he's got excellent cardiovascular endurance and he's always got enough energy to play at the end of the game. Once you can play at game speed through practices without getting winded and needing breaks, then I'd start looking at your weight and muscle. It's important to be strong but especially at the PG level, quickness and savvy play a lot of parts. Spend a lot of time on the mental part of the game. Learn the coaching style, learn the plays, and then learn your teammates. Even if you ride the bench, you can learn a ton by watching how they play. Learn your opponents too. Not just the other guard, learn the guys who will guard your teammates. Learn to put your teammates in good position by making smart passes, not just good ones.

I'd also work on your leg strength. Make sure you have good ankle support and strong knees. Don't overdo muscle gain exercises because you are growing and don't want to risk another injury. Make sure you ask a doctor how you can work out to support your knee and make sure both sides of your body are equally strong.

And then last, like mentioned, focus a lot on your spotup shooting, and ball handling. Depending on how your coach likes the game played, you could find yourself open from the perimeter a lot at the PG spot. If he prefers the PG or SG to handle the ball more and slash, work on your transitional game like your gear changes, and your dribbling. Dribbling is extremely important, so always focus on this.

The thing about dribbling is, don't work on moves, work on being simple and effective. You don't need a headfake in your crossover to be effective, you need to make your dribbling help you move to the basket, not to the sides. Footwork at the PG spot, especially while dribbling and understanding when you have positional advantage over a defender are more important than being flashy.

And lastly, work on your passing, with both hands. Be able to throw accurate passes that your teammates can catch in their shooting window, chest passes, bounce passes. Learn to put english on the ball to enter it into the post. Learn to throw lobs over the top, and learn to pass quickly so you can hit cutters and give them the best chance to finish the play.

The most important thing about playing like a PG is to remember, your job is to make everyone else better, not just get your points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...