Skip navigation

2501 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 9:36 PM by ShutzHeScorz RSS
slawlb29 Amateur 15 posts since
Dec 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2010 12:34 AM

Need to figure out future height for position planning

Ok I am 13 and in 8th grade. I'm about 5 ft 10, 155 pounds. My dad is around 6 foot 4, both my uncles are 6 foot 3, cousins are tall, just about ever male in my family is over 6 foot 3, and they all have the same shoe size, a 12. I have a 15 shoe size, and bigger hands then all of them already. They all say im going to be a lot taller than they are, but i dont know. It would help If  I could find out cause I want to be able to focus on 1 or 2 positions insted of being an " all around player'' even though thats a good skill to have, but going into highschool, I want to either get my shooting, driving, and ball handling down, or my post moves, hook shots, defense, and rebounding down. Im doing everything i can to work on them all, but I need to buckle down and focus on a couple positions, not all of them. CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME A MESSAGE BACK? it would help me out a lot and I'd really appreciate it.

• nursingstudent17 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010

I cannot say specifically for men, but as a woman who played for some time I can tell you to work on your all-around game. When I was in 5th grade I was 5'9" and was told I would be gigantic, so I worked on mostly post moves...but I never grew another inch. As a freshman in high school they switched me from center/power forward to a 2 guard. Initially it was difficult but during the off season I worked on my shooting every day and played on multiple summer leagues (are you on an AAU team?) and by my sophomore year I had one of the nicest shots and could still post up people much taller than me. The dribbling took a while longer for me (just never liked practicing it) but I was recruited to play at many D1 schools because I was an all-around player.

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010

Ball handling, ball handling, ball handling...

If you can handle the rock, coach will find a spot for you regardless of size.  The rest will take care of itself.

• DL6 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010

Work on your all round game.  You should be able to play every position on the floor. 

For example, if your a center with good passing, ball handling, and shooting skills (guard skills), and good post skills (posting up, rebounding) you can dominate.  You can step out and knock down the mid ranger, and you can pass out of double teams.  You can also be known as an all round player who can play many positions.  You might be able to play the 2, 3, 4, and 5. This very good when your going to play university. 

So to wrap up just work on your all round game.

• AleksiL Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011

As other mentioned, there's never a problem learning basic skills. Anyone can learn post moves over time, but if you already have good footwork, great ball handling skills and can play good defense and you understand how the play the game mentally, it doesn't matter what position you eventually play.

Besides, if you think you're going to be around 6'4", that's pretty much a PG height anyway, (stereotypically) so working on skills like dribbling, defense and improving your knowledge of the game is something you will need regardless.

Don't get hung up about your height though. If you start growing real fast, you will be able to learn the new moves and skills needed as you're growing. It's not like you wake up 2 feet taller

• jcspam Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Well working individually on defense and rebounding really isn't possible, besides getting stronger.

I don't know how tall you are going to be, you could search for a hight calculator in the internet, but I have no idea of how accurate these are.

What I would advise you do too do if you are really dedicated, is working on your shot every single day, shooting is without a doubt the most important skill in basketball, if you are a great shooter you will not be sitting on the bench, hell some players are ONLY in the NBA because of their shooting ability, think about that for a second.

Other then that you should work on your finishing which are not just basic lay-ups but include Floaters, hooks, extension lay-ups, power lay-ups, get creative with your finishes in the paint as they will enable you to finish against bigger and or faster players, look up players like Tony parker, Steve Nash, Manu Ginobili and Rajon Rondo to get some inspiration for your finishing moves.

And then you can work on your ballhandling of course. If you get good at all these things, you can play at any position really.

• ShutzHeScorz Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011

Focus on strength and conditioning and on honing your fundamentals, ESPECIALLY defense, rebounding, free throw shooting, moving without the ball, floor spacing, passing, footwork in the post, ballhandling...don't worry about the AND1 trash (OK, it's entertaining), master the basics -- ESPECIALLY defense and boarding, and you can adapt your game as you mature.

Think Dirk Nowitski, Pau Gasol, Kevin Durant...big guys who can handle and shoot the ball from outside as well as bang and board down low.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points