Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49222 Views 324 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 11:58 AM by Debbie215 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 Previous Next
  • Bauer05 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 1, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to christiewa)
    Re: Starting C25K 1/1/11! Who wants to join me?

Count me in!!!  I finished the C25K and ran a 5K race last May and didn't keep running...I accomplished my goal and quit :(  So I am starting the program again tomorrow and running the same race again this May.  I am curious to see if the running is easier than when I did it last time or if I will really be starting from scratch...I guess only time will tell.  Good luck to all of you and Happy New Year!!! Tammy

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    31. Jan 1, 2011 2:22 PM (in response to christiewa)

Good luck to everyone starting today!  And Happy Birthday to Christie!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• cypressmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    32. Jan 1, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to christiewa)

Iwannaget fit...

There is a program that is available that we're all talking about.  I googled couch to 5 k program and found it, and that's how I found this forum and found it on facebook...

So I'm not sure where it is on here, but you need to get that and print it out.  It starts with week 1 and building up...Very doable...

I'm sure it's somewhere on this community you probably just need to do a search for the plan!

Jen

Jennifer

Mom of 3...Cypress, TX

2011 Running a 5K by May

and a 1/2 Marathon by the end of the year!  

• LSUnUTMommy Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    33. Jan 1, 2011 2:28 PM (in response to christiewa)

I'm in! I tried it a few months back but my trainer said that the program was too slow so I stopped doing it. Ever since the end of October/beginning of November I have been doing about 1 mile a day and I have not improved. I'm not running an entire mile yet but I am working up to running a full mile, 5k, 10k, hald marathon, and eventually a marathon. I have a 5k in February and March and a 10k in April. I also signed up for a lottery spot in the ING New York City Marathon in November. I really need to get my booty in gear!

I am going to try and do MWF also and do most of my running outside (I live in Louisiana so the weather is kind of nuts here) but if all else fails, I have a treadmill at my house so I should have no excuses for missing any days.

A little bit about me: I am a married 24 year old mom of a 5 month old baby girl. I am also a part time student at LSU and I only have one crazy dog! Hahaha! I lost my baby weight but I am still over weight and I am trying to lose about 75 to 100 pounds. I have a long way to go but I am eating healthy, starting the C25K program today, I do cross training, do cardio at the gym, and do weights. Hopefully I can reach all of my goals in 2011!

"Pain is temporary. It can last for a day, an hour, a week, or a year but it will eventually subside, but quitting lasts forever!"

- Lance Armstrong

"I don't care what you can't do. I want to hear what you can do!"

- Walt Disney

• jennyrb78 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    34. Jan 1, 2011 3:08 PM (in response to christiewa)

I would love to join all you guys too.  I need some motivation to get my butt off the couch.   I plan on starting on Monday Jan 3.   I live in south central KY so i will probably be doing most of my training on the treadmill until the spring. I am married, 32 years old, have a 4 year old and work full time.   So my schedule is pretty full.  I willl be doing most of my training in the evening on the MWF schedule.    My main goal is to get into shape, get more energy and loose 40 lbs.    I am also looking to join Weight Watchers again to help with the weight lose.   I gained about 20 lbs in the last year and it has made me feel horrible.   I look forward to working with all of you so we can all achieve our goals!!!!

• JoTenHoven Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    35. Jan 1, 2011 5:59 PM (in response to christiewa)

I would like to join all of you, too! I'm 38 years old and am about to finish my Master's and FINALLY embark on a career! I would like to regain my confidence before entering the working world so, I would like to get back into running and lose these 40lbs. I found I lack focus and motivation and think that I might succeed with the help of all of you. I live in Ohio so, I will likely use a treadmill until March or April. I found a website that provides a free 9 week C25k training schedule for those of you who are interested: http://couchto5ktraining.com/couch-to-5k-schedule

I look forward to witnessing everyone's progress!

Jo

• Latinacowgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 25, 2009
    36. Jan 1, 2011 8:28 PM (in response to christiewa)

Hello Everyone

Just thought I would check in. I did a 2.25 mile run today with my dog. It snowed here today and it never does that. We are barely 68 feet above sea level. There was still snow on the ground when I loaded my dog in the car and drove to where we run. I am doing a modified c25k because I am farther along than the 90 second runs. so I am doing run 2 mins walk 1 min this week and hope to be at run 3 mins for next week. My main goal is to run a minimum of 2 miles a day everyday for the year. I know this sounds crazy but I wanna do a streak. It took me 32 mins to do 2.25 miles today. I ran in shorts and forgot my gloves man was that a mistake. It was 39 degrees out, oh and did I mention light drizzle. I did wear a waterproof windbreaker and a hat. I didnt want to be too hot. May have to invest in runnig tights to stay warm if I continue to run in the rain. But I have a treadmill at home too so I hope to not run in bad weather to often. I just wanted to start the year out outside. Plus I have to get my dog in shape too.

I hope everyone had a great run today. I will check in again latter.

• Ace5666 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    38. Jan 2, 2011 4:32 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hello All

I'd like to join in.  I'm a 37 bloke in the UK, and just need the will power to do it.  I have have tried before (last year), and did it for about three weeks before work pressures (that is what I told myself) got in the way.  I have the C25K app for my iphone, which I think will help me.  I will be starting my journey on the 6th.

Take care

• LSUnUTMommy Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    39. Jan 2, 2011 5:11 AM (in response to Latinacowgirl)

WOW! Way to go! It rarely snows in Louisiana so if I snowed here I would be too distracted by wanting to play in it than getting my running done! Plus you ran in while it drizzled with no mittens when it was in the 30's? Very brave! You are inspire me!

I think 2 miles a day for a year is do able. You just have to keep going and staying motivated. Just don't let yourself get burnt out.

I am doing a 5k walk today and starting the program tomorrow. This year I want to do a 5k walk/jog with my daughter every Sunday. If she's not feeling well or I want to go by myself thats ok too. I just want to be able to go out and do my 5k once a week at least as a stress reliever. Good luck!!!

"Pain is temporary. It can last for a day, an hour, a week, or a year but it will eventually subside, but quitting lasts forever!"

- Lance Armstrong

"I don't care what you can't do. I want to hear what you can do!"

- Walt Disney

• NotYetDead Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 3, 2010
    40. Jan 2, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hey Christie & c25K'ers:

Just a word of encouragement to you all - I'm 58, and hadn't run in 20+ years, but have always been active, biking, swimming, etc.  I decided to start the C25K program 9 weeks ago, with the end date being 1/1/11, and the goal being a Resolution Run 5K on 1/1/11.   The C25K program had great the first 3 weeks - and then my knees blew out big time.  This is apparently fairly common.  I went to the local running store and had my gait and feet analyzed, which I highly recommend.  New shoes and orthotics were a veritable miracle - within 2 more weeks I could run with no pain.  I kept with the program religiously, and also cross-trained 2-3 times a week.  After week 7, the C25K program doesn't do much for you - after a 5 minute warm-up, you just run for a specific time period.  The last two weeks, 8 & 9, I was traveling or caught in that East Coast blizzard. I did my best with treadmills those last two weeks, but I must say that running outside is far better.  I didn't feel ready to race, as my last workout my legs felt like wood and I couldn't run more than 15 minutes without walking.   I decided to try the 5K yesterday anyway - and it was great!! I DID IT!!! No walking, a blazing (not) pace that gave me a 36:00 minute finishing time.   It was fun!  My teenage son was so proud of me (he ran it in under 25 minutes).  Even my husband told me he was really impressed with the accomplishment,  Everyone  at the race was so friendly, people were waving and cheering. It is sooo worth it!!  Keep with it and you will have a blast at your first 5K!   I'm signing up right now for Cupid's Chase 2/12 - and after resting today am starting the Bridge to 10K program!

Renee

• GunaRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    41. Jan 2, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to christiewa)

Help Please, Can anyone give me an idea of a good/strong pace and time that I should be running for my age,

Here is my result for day 1 of c25k morning walked on treadmill 1mile (20Minutes) to warm up prior to starting , did c25k day1 completed when i reached mile 1 while doing this my time was 15min 45 sec.

This is my 2nd time doing this program completed a few months ago and stopped , now I would like to focus on time/endurance compared to my age any help would be appreciated.

• ErinCanRun Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    42. Jan 2, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to NotYetDead)

Thanks for the encourangement Renee!! Thats great to hear, and congrats!

I ran yesterday for about 25 min, and think i went a little over a mile. I walked before and after and had to stop a few times in the middle too...but hey, i got out there and did it! I really want to get a good podcast to listen to, any suggestions? I had one a while ago and it was pretty bad...all techno, i hated it.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'm just putting my little guy to sleep right now and am gonna go for a run (day 2) while my husband watches the Pats! =)

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Emerson

"If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it." - Ben

• YouCanYouWill Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    43. Jan 2, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to christiewa)

I"m in!  Oh, how many times have I commited to fitness and weight-loss, and proceeded to fail.  So..........I am ready in 2011!  I will start C25K tomorrow,and I am signed up for WW, although I haven't been doing it.  I also am starting a local TEAM LEAN program on 1/8, which is a competition for weight-loss, with opportunity to win big $ !!  With all these motivations, how can I lose?  Ha  I turn 45 the 22nd of this month.  I am needing to lose at least 35 pounds.  I"m the mother of two, 10 and 5 (hubby and I were married 13 years before children, by choice - what was I thinking? )  Anyway, I"m a full-time middle-school chorus teacher.  My job exhausts me - I've been teaching for 21 years!  My best ;time for exercise?  4:30 in the morning!  I have done this before, and truly felt awesome.  But.......it doesn't last, alas, b/c I truly LOVE TO SLEEP.  Anyway - I am starting tomorrow, planning on running MWF and going to gym off days, for Zumba which I love and hopefully some weight-training.  I am excited about this group, and wish us all well!

• Pegjen Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    44. Jan 2, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hi All,

I also would like to join you all. I downloaded C25K to my Droid and did my first walk/run on 12/31/10. It went great and I plan on being flexible with my days as long as I keep a day in between..hope to add in some other exercise on my off days...I have always wanted to be a runner and this program gives me hope to fulfill that. I live in Iowa so I will be on my treadmill for awhile. I am 41 with 5 children ages 22, 13, 18, 5, and 4. My oldest is getting married in June and I hope to be 20 pounds lighter and leaner for her wedding! Also, would love to do some 5k runs this spring and summer! I have always been a sporadic exerciser and am hoping this group will give me that extra motivation I need. I work 2 days a week as a registered nurse so time is not an excuse.

Happy New Year to all and here's to starting off 2011 with a running start!

Peg

Goals

Kossuth Animal Rescue  Wag the Dog 5K Race/Fun Walk

April 16, 2011

1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points