Skip navigation

1847 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 7:50 AM by spdr01 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 15, 2010 11:08 PM

2011 Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2011 Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash below Back to event details page.

• whognu Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    1. Dec 15, 2010 11:08 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2011 Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash Reviews

This was a nice way to start the year in 2010.  The weather was cold, but I warmed up nicely after a mile or two.  Also, being able to get inside the restaurant before and after the race was key.  The free beverage after the race was a plus, too.

• not a sprinter Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008
    2. Jan 2, 2011 10:45 AM (in response to Guest )

Had a great time.  This is a really nice alternative to lazing around and watching TV on New Years Day!  It was definitely cold and the wind really cut right through you, but the post-race beer was a nice reward.  Having it hosted at the restaurant is really nice since you have someplace out of the weather to hang before and then after the race.  Kudos to the organizers and volunteers who came out and froze their butts off to make it a great event for us! 

The only negatives are that the course is a little blah and the PA system in the restaurant didn't work very well so if you were in the restaurant proper you couldn't hear the announcements very well. 

I'll be back next year!

• lyndanelson254 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Jan 2, 2011 10:59 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with Not a Sprinter regarding the plain course.  Middleton does have nicer areas to run through.  However, it is also very nice to be in the Quaker Steak and Lube, a business which really does so much for the non-profit organizations in the area.  (Thanks for the root-beer. )  I loved the idea of pushing myself to start out the new year running and working through the holidays to achieve it.  While I'm definitely near the end of the pack, I did better than the personal goals I had set for myself and hope to improve on that next year.  I didn't know about the raffle at the end which was fun to hang out for - thanks for the T-shirt.

• dryu Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    4. Jan 2, 2011 2:00 PM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time at this race! Everything was very well organized, and the course was excellent. Major props to the race organizers for salting and shoveling (almost) all the ice off the course. My one request for next year would be to add mile markers on the course.

Oct 3, 2009
    5. Jan 2, 2011 3:44 PM (in response to dryu)

I wondered about the mile markers during the race - it's possible that they couldn't put them out because of the wind.

• icepick2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    6. Jan 2, 2011 5:45 PM (in response to Guest )

One of my favorites is the New Year Dash.  Well organized and great people.  My only wish is that it would be warmer....I know its January 1 but one year it would be fun to run in shorts.  The best part of the race was meeting Ron Mexico. He is an icon in area and I was able to better his time for the first time.  My only regret was not getting a photo with him.  

• Candice53226 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 1, 2010
    7. Jan 2, 2011 6:01 PM (in response to Guest )

I drove from Wauwatosa to run in this event. I was glad to start the New Year with this run and it was worth the drive. I was glad it had an indoor facility given the frigid/windy conditions and I was glad it was not starting at 8 am like most runs so I could sleep in a little and do the drive. I could not figure out where the wine glass was located for participating in both the New Years Even and New Years Day event or who I had to ask about getting it but other than that - I had great time, the beer afterwards was great, and will do it again next year.

Oct 3, 2009
    8. Jan 2, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to Candice53226)

For future reference, what was the New Year's Eve event?  I don't remember seeing it on any local race calendars.  I might like to do that one next year.

• OUCH73 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    9. Jan 4, 2011 5:49 AM (in response to Guest )

Probably not the smartest thing I've done, but a great time. Thanks to everyone who helped bring this event together. I started the race feeling sorry for myself, then I quickly swiched gears to feeling sorry for the volunteers who had to stand out in the cold.....

• spdr01 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 22, 2008
    10. Jan 12, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to Guest )

A great motivation for the new year.  It's great having Quaker State there for before and after the event.  I agree that mile markers would be great, and a little more communication before the event about what to expect after the event (awards and raffle).  The raffle didn't seem very organized, although that's not why I come.  It would be nice to post the 2 mile walkers' names and times, too, as well as include them in the raffle.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...