Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3818 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2011 9:27 PM by AZrunner7 RSS
clothdiapers Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 30, 2010 1:25 PM

How do I overcome shin pain?

My father-in-law started me on a running program to get me to work up to running for 30 mins.  It's a really slow progression but I'm fine with that.  The first week I have to walk for 30 mins.  Then the 2nd week I run 1 min, walk 14, repeat. This basically keeps incrementing up until I'm running for 30 mins straight.

However, after only a few seconds of running my left shin hurts to the point where I have to stop running.  I don't feel it when I'm walking at all.  I've never had an injury and it doesn't seem to be getting better.  I tried better shoes, stretching, and I even stopped running for a few months to make it heal.

I think I might have shin splints, is there a way to make them go away so I can get back to running?

Canadian Cloth Diapers

• Skiplady Pro 95 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    1. Dec 30, 2010 6:03 PM (in response to clothdiapers)
    Re: How do I overcome shin pain?

Do you warm up before you start the runs?  You might try increasing the warmup and adding more stretches, try googling shin stretches.  Good luck!

Stacey

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Dec 30, 2010 8:10 PM (in response to clothdiapers)

How fast are you running?  You should be doing an easy jog, not sprinting.

If you still have severe pain that comes on that quickly, I would be concerned that it is not shin splints.  It might be compartment syndrome or a stress fracture.  Check with your doctor.

Len

Len

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Dec 30, 2010 11:48 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len - Compartment syndrome. hmmm.  Never heard of that one.  Had to google it. Thanks for mentioning it.  That is one I was unfamiliar with.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• frmeital Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    4. Dec 31, 2010 1:00 AM (in response to clothdiapers)

I see that you haven't tried compression sleeves and what do you mean by "better shoes"? Do they have extra medial support?

You can also try orthotic soles.

There's more info here, think would be helpful to you..

My blog: http://natural-alternative-therapies.com

• shorty5k Pro 111 posts since
    Dec 18, 2010
    5. Dec 31, 2010 2:12 AM (in response to clothdiapers)

I to had shin pain while running, and bought better shoes from a sproting goods store and still had the pain, I talked to the guy that got me running and he sent me to a regular runners store where they looked at my feet, mostly the arches and watched my gait while running on a treadmill then we pickid out a shoe and shin pain was gone other than normal muscle soreness. Do not know if that will work for you but it helped me. Also the lady that runs the shop , she is a marathoner, to shorten my stride when doing my runs,  maybe something you can try. If he pain persist I would do like others have said and see your Doc.  Hope this helps.

Shorty

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat"

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Dec 31, 2010 6:23 AM (in response to shorty5k)

Good advice from Shorty about shortening your stride and being sure you have the right shoes.  Make sure you're planting your feet under your hips: overstriding can contribute to all kinds of aches and pains.  I mentioned speed because my experience with shin splints always involved faster running.  It wouldn't bother me at an everyday training pace.  It would only hurt when doing speed work or in a race.  Also it would take some time to start - about a mile - and would go away at about three miles.  So the fact that it starts immediately and is severe enough that you can't run should be of concern.  That's why I mentioned compartment syndrome, though it is relativel rare.  I hope you find a solution.

Len

Len

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    7. Dec 31, 2010 10:14 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Easy way to shorten your stride is to up your cadence (number of times your foot hits the ground). If you shoot for 90 beats per minute per foot, that will help to shorten your stride. 

You can download  Beat Per Minute music at www.podrunner.com or from www.motiontraxx.com.  In my opinion, motiontraxx is better music, but both are good. 

In order to keep the cadence up, you HAVE to shorten your stride.  If you don't, you can't keep up. This will help keep your foot from getting too far out in front and keep you from landing on your heel which can cause shin and knee problems.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    8. Jan 1, 2011 5:44 PM (in response to thedevotedrunner)

OK, here's a radical recomendation.  Try losing the shoes entirely.  Barefoot for one minute, or even for more of your walking interval will help you get stronger achilles and calves to support the extra stress of the high cadence.  Focus on putting your feet down gently, with a midfoot to a forefoot landing. Barefoot walking and running helps you to achieve better form, which is how you avoid injuries.  Good luck!

Look for more info over at the Barefoot Runners Society web page.  They have great "starting out" plans.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• Nothingbutsunshine Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    9. Jan 1, 2011 6:21 PM (in response to clothdiapers)

I get shin splints whenever I try to increase my mileage too fast and it stays with me for several weeks.  I buy self adhesive compression bandages at the local medical supply and wrap them when I run. It really helps with the pain. I also use Ice after my runs and motrin as necessary.  Don't get discouraged.  If you have a local sport clinic you may want to go for a consult with the trainer.

• Dznymom3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    10. Jan 1, 2011 9:40 PM (in response to clothdiapers)

I had trouble with shin pain as well.  I went to Fleet Feet & was fitted for proper shoes that helped 75%.  Then I found an article on active.com about stretches, I do them before & after.  Rock front to back on heels then to toes.  Do this about 10 times. I also put one leg behind me putting the toe on the ground and then push forward, so that the top of my shoe is reaching towards the ground & the sole of my foot is pointing up to the sky & stretch the top of my foot.  I do that several times on each foot.  Then on the stairs I put my toes only on the stair & push my heal towards the lower step, opposite of a calf raise.  I also lift my foot & pull it up to my bottom on each side several times.  Then pull one knee up to my chest, changing legs, doing this several times.  A couple lunges.  I also walk for the first two minutes of my run before I start running.

What I read was that shin splints are because the ligaments are not stretched properly.  If you have high arches, like I do, this also contributes to shin pain if you don't have the proper support, hence the proper shoes. 

Hope this helps.  Happy Running.  

• AZrunner7 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    12. Jan 2, 2011 9:27 PM (in response to clothdiapers)

I think shin discomfort is common among new runners.  Ice them after a run, massage them with a tennis or lacrosse ball.  I always had some shin discomfort until I shortened my stride and reached about 2 miles of nonstop running, then the legs adjusted.

Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points