Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6658 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 3:30 PM by mywy77 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Caidkin Amateur 10 posts since
Dec 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2011 7:07 AM

Starting 2011  200 pounds and over: WHO WANTS TO JOIN?

Hi there,

I am going to be starting the C25K this week.  I'm just getting all my ducks in a row now and found this site!!  I'm so happy to have found it because I'm nervous, stressed out and feeling fat.  I'm approx. 220 and very out of shape.  My back hurts and muscles hurt everyday, almost as if my body was saying.. We need some excercise... get off your butt!!!  So I'm listening and doing something about it.  My cousin completing this program and I loved hearing about it on her facebook.

Things I'm nervous about...

1. Can I REALLY do this, esp. being overweight?

2. Am I going to lose weight doing this program?  I HAVE to lose weight, I just have to !!.

3.  Is this a waste of my time... ugh.

Obviously I'm nervous.. but I'm motivated, it's a new year and a new me.

Wondering if anyone has beginners advice.  I read a lot of good advice already.

Here is my situation.... I will need to use a treadmill or indoor track.  I live in Upstate NY.  We often have zero temps here... not to mention tons of snow and slush.  I'm just not into it.. so I joined the YMCA.  I also need the childcare because I have two children 3 and 5.  I just bough a pair of Saucony shadows http://www.zappos.com/saucony-shadow-6000-white-grey-amethyst-pomegranite .  I have wide feet and I think the sneakers I've used in the past were too narrow.  They would numb the sides of my feet.  (anyone heard of this.)

I am wondering how do I track my progress.  I think I'm going to buy the C25k ipod app.  Anyone use that?

Ok.. so yeah.. Thanx for reading.. dana

• FeezyUSA Expert 58 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    1. Jan 3, 2011 6:33 AM (in response to Caidkin)
    Re: Starting 2011 200 pounds and over

Welcome Dana!

You absolutely can do this, just listen to your body and keep reading the great posts on this forum. Here's a wonderful thread that you might like:

http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club/0/0

Good luck!

Started C25K October 18th, 2010 - Graduated December 28th, 2010

B210K: W5D1 February 18, 2011

• gecko75 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2010
    2. Jan 3, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to Caidkin)

Hi!

Congratulations on the decision to get running! If you do it right you will probably get hooked, it can be addictive! And yes, you can do it!

There are some things that you should really consider and do properly to avoid injury and disappointment. FIrst of all please get fitted for properly fitting shoes. While the shoes you purchased online may be great running shoes, they may not be great for you. Any local running store (NOT Dick's Sporting Goods, Footlocker, Sports Authority) will be able to do an assessment of your feet, your gait (how you run), and will have you try on several pairs of shoes to find the right ones for you. This is one of the most important steps in avoiding injury. Once you have the information about the proper shoes you can then chose to purchase future pairs online as it will probably save you a little money!

Start slow...a lot of people want instant results and quit when it doesn't happen. We didn't get this way overnight so we can't fix it overnight either! :-) C25K helps you to start slowly, and don't feel bad if you have to repeat a day or a week of the program before moving on. You have to do what works for you. As further motivation sign up for a local 5k event in your area for the Spring. Sign up for it now! This will give you an absolute goal that you can work towards!

As for the weight loss question...running alone will not help you lose weight if your diet is bad.  Proper nutrition is responsible for about 75% of weight loss and physical activity accounts for only about 25%. This does not mean you have to go on a diet, diets are for suckers. Eat well balanced meals, watch portion size (this is a huge factor), and reduce the amount of processed foods you eat. And if you want pizza or chocolate, have some, just do it in moderation and don't do it everyday!

Everything I have mentioned I have personally been through...4 years ago I weighed 230 pounds and wore size 20 jeans. Now I weigh 158 pounds and wear size 10 jeans. I added running to my life last January. I completed my first half marathon in September and my second half marathon is 5 days away! I do not run fast and will probably never run fast. I run at a pace that is comfortable yet challenging to me.

Good Luck!

Kristina

• JonL72 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    3. Jan 3, 2011 11:35 AM (in response to Caidkin)

Dana, the others really have some great advice. You can do this and will do it if you have conviction.

One thing you might do is visit your Dr. before you start C25K and make sure your heart can handle the stress. The rest of your body will likely protest but you can ignore it for the most part but you do want to ensure your heart can take it.

I am 38 years old and began C25K at 255 lbs. With changes to my diet (portion control, lots of fresh veggies, and reduced processed foods) and the C25K program I got down to 245 lbs before running my first 5k. I managed to complete it in 30:50 which I thought was pretty good for someone as heavy as I am.

Running on a treadmill makes tracking your times very easy. Don't worry about speed at all, just focus on running / walking the times you are supposed to. Speed will come later. You will probably feel terrible for the first 2 - 3 weeks but it does get better and the running is addictive you just have to stick with it. I remember one run I really wanted to stop and I made a deal with myself that I could quit something else later that day if I didn't quit on this run. Perhaps you'll make a similar deal with yourself.

This program is perfect for people who are out of shape. Believe in it and stick with it, you won't regret it. The hardest part of the program by far is getting on the treadmill or out the door. If you can do this, you'll be finishing the program before you know it.

Good luck!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 3, 2011 1:46 PM (in response to Caidkin)

Hello and Welcome and Congrats for getting started to lose weight and exercise! just the follow the plan ( 3 days a week) and before you know it, you will be graduating.

Jul 8, 2010
    6. Jan 3, 2011 6:20 PM (in response to Caidkin)

"I noticed on the 200+ group that someone mentioned they started with 30  sec. intrevals, rather than 60.  what do you think?  Should I try  that>"

When I started I was in very poor shape; I was 255 lbs, never exercised, and have multiple disc herniations in my back. I was able to complete the program as it was laid out. The real benefits of the program are realized when you follow it...even when you feel you can't. I got into the poor shape I was in by giving myself all sorts of reasons why I couldn't do lots of things (running being the #1 thing on that list).

I think another (better) way to manage is to repeat days / weeks as needed as another person suggested and / or just slow down. The goal of the program is to build your cardiovascular endurance by increasing the amount of time you can sustain an effort. If you cut the times short, you will be missing out on the real benefit of the program. I think the best thing to do is follow the times and slow down to a pace that you can sustain.

Lastly I would say that if you follow this plan through, you will find out what all runners know...running is 90% mental and 10% physical. If your mind wills it, your body will respond.

Don't give up before you even start!

Jul 8, 2010
    7. Jan 4, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to Caidkin)

Dana,

I forgot to mention one other very important thing...

When you begin to run, pay a lot of attention to running form. If you run properly and efficiently, you'll avoid injury and complete runs feeling much better. There are a lot of good articles on www.active.com and www.coolrunning.com to help you understand proper running form.

Bottom line with running form is to avoid a heel strike. Landing on one's heel sends a shock from the heel all the way up your spine and can really hurt you. The best way to run longer with less injury is using more of a mid-foot strike. For more information you could also google "chi running" and "pose method".

Hope this helps!

• jglover1960 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2011
    8. Jan 7, 2011 11:42 AM (in response to Caidkin)

I recently ( this week) started jogging. I found the 200lb club postings an inspiration. I am a 50yo very overweight male. Last just 2010 I met with a Dr at the VA. He basically told me I was going to die if I didn't change. At 350lbs diabetic ( out of control), that was lazy, over ate and drank beer. He was right. Well since I have not touched even a diet soda, lost 75lbs and now walk 6-7 mi 5 days a week, go to the gym, got a personal trainer and am starting to jog. I am only on day 2 but have a goal of running my first 5k Feb27th. By Aug I want to be at my goal weight of 220lbs. That will be a130lb weight loss.

Jul 8, 2010
    11. Jan 11, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to Caidkin)

If you are very dizzy and have a red face when you are done with your run then you probably are dehydrated. It is vitally important for exercise and for weight loss to be drinking enough water. If you are not drinking at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day, then you need to increase your water intake to that level. It is hard to do so at first if you aren't a water drinker, but your body will adjust to it quickly and within a few days you will begin craving it.

If you are properly hydrated prior to your workout and are still experiencing the symptoms you mentioned, then you need to see your Dr. and ask about a stress test before continuing to run.

• UncleGiggy Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 13, 2011
    13. Jan 13, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to Caidkin)

Hi everybody it is great to see a site devoted to us larger runners.  Just like the rest I to have allowed myself to lay around far too long.  At 55, 277lbs. and no real medical issues I feel very blessed.  As such I feel I owe it to myself and my family to take charge once again and get back to running.  When younger I loved to run cross country.  Currently I have to settle with brisk walking.  I entered my first 5k this year and sad to say I finished dead last; BUT FINISHED!!  I did offer the clean up crew a little cash for gas as they had to follow me the last mile picking up the cones as I pasted them, 17m mile.  That is all going to change!!!  I have thrown down the challenge to my two sons.  They also ran in the turkey trot as well as the rest of  the family.  My goal this year is to try my best to bet them if at all possible (it truly does not matter to me) but is a great motivator.  Boys never want Dad to beat them at anything.  To add even more motivation we have a weight lose bet, the losers must pay the winner for each pound lose.  Hee Hee at the Thanksgiving table this coming year.  Win or lose it will still be a great benefit to us all due to our sizes. God Bless each of you and keep on pounding.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...