Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3626 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 9:51 AM by mimiisarunner RSS
Wendy88 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2010 7:13 AM

Just starting Couch to 5k AGAIN and need some motivation!!

Hi runners,

I started this program in January a year ago almost and found it very motivating and successful.  I lasted for about 3 months and then got so busy with kids activities that I didn't have the time and/or desire to make time for it.  I am not overweight but I am feeling like I need to get back into shape and of course feel better about myself like when I was running.  This program is awesome and I really want to do it and be successful this time to keep it up all year long.  Any tips..advice would be very helpful.  My first walk/run is going to start this evening however I did do some last week.  Thanks, Wendy

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009

Good luck! And forcus on the short term acheivemetns. You will be so happy when you finish the program and run that 5K! I have three kids, and understand the craziness that goes along with having kids and fitting in the exercise/training. I get mine done in the morning, and then feel good all day long knowing it's done.

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

• SylviaQt Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010

Hi Wendy!

My first suggestion is to find a running partner.  That way, running can become a social activity and possibly more enjoyable.  Also, it would hold you accountable.  At 5:30 am when that alarm goes off and you are tempted to stay in bed, you realize that your running partner will be out in the cold if you don't show up.  It provides an additional motivation (albeit guilt!). It might be difficult since your schedule is probably quite full, but try regardless; you never know!

My second suggestion is to sign up with RunKeeper or NikeFit and log your activities.  If you are in social media, you can share your updates & progress.  That has been helpful for me, having others cheer me on, or comment on my determination.

Lastly, sign up for races & tell people about it!  The races provide you with set goals, dates & times.  How can you attend the race without the proper training?  Depending on your area, the races can be surprisingly affordable, especially if you sign up with time.

Keep up the good work!

• tj4heels Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010

I'm going to be starting Couch to 5K again after Christmas, so you're already a step ahead of me! But I have committed to a race already! I decided that would keep me going this time! I paid the registration fee so I HAVE to get in shape!! I like the idea of a running buddy, but I don't know how to find one - any ideas? I'm joining a gym to use their treadmills on cold days - maybe there will be someone there.

• Galatians 22022 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 16, 2010

TJ4,

You can do it.

If you attend a church regularly, ask around and see if anyone would like to be your running partner.

If you work ask around and see if anyone you know runs.  If your work has a wellness program, contact them and ask if they have any ideas.

At the gym look around and see if people are usually there the same time, and dates you go.  The gym might have a running program, and might have a list of people looking for a running buddy.

I started this journey one year ago.  After not being able to breath climbing two flights of stairs, change was needed.  I was 40 lbs overweight.

I went from couch to half marathon.  In one year I have run 5 halfs and in Feb. I'm planning on running my first full.

Good luck and remember to celebrate the little milestones also.

11-12-11     Thunder Road Half Marathon

02-18-12     Myrtle Beach Marathon

• msmeg Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007

People here have been giving you advice that I agree with-find a running partner if you can.  This is my 3rd trip through C25K and so far my most successful.  I don't have a daily running partner (well, I do, but she has 4 legs and a tail) but I do have a racing partner.  I talked someone at work into running a 5K with me over Thanksgiving and have hooked up with another running friend for another 5K and we have plans for an 8K in Feb.  I've actually blown off a couple of races I paid for in the past, so the fees aren't enough motivation for me, but having committed to someone else to show up on that day and my own determination that I will run the race I show up for has helped.

Most of us are a few weeks ahead of you in this iteration, but I've found the 'Do-Over' group to be encouraging.  Please feel free to join us or maybe find another group here starting around the same time as you.

Good luck and good running!

Meg

Started C25K for the third time October 1st.

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

Hot Buttered Run 5K 11/28/10 37:50

Jingle Bell Run 5K 12/5/10  gun time 37:52  chip time 36:07

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010

Congratulations on starting running!  A 5K is a great goal to start with, and a run/walk method is the best way to ease into your training.  And, the best way to keep motivated is to remember all of the benefits of running - weight loss, heart health, prevent bone loss, relieve stress, and gain confidence. Also, running can be a very sociable activity.  I have run with many local groups, and participated in weekly runs put on by local running stores (Nike has a nationwide program that they do).  So, find a group of people, and or running buddy to help you stick with it!

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • loolie Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 21, 2010

I'm starting this program again, too!  I was doing it for a while over the summer months, but my fiance and I bought a house and have spent the past 3-4 months fixing it up...and every spare moment has gone towards either my regular day job or working on the house.  Now that the house stuff is mostly done and we have moved, I joined a gym again near my house and I'm looking to start back up with the program!  Not sure if I need to start back at Week 1 again, but looking forward to getting better at running regardless!

Running used to be something that I absolutely HATED but I made myself run on the treadmill or outdoors...and found that I only hated running because I wasn't very good at it!  Now that I'm getting better at it, it is encouraging to see the results and I really enjoy it!

best of luck with everything!

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Hi Wendy!

I am not on here very much anymore, but 12 months ago, I was starting C25K for my first time at the age of 57! I finished the program on 1/14/10 and I have not looked back. The key to keeping up the running base that you build using the C25K is to go immediately into a new training program that is more advanced as soon as you finish the C25K. Also, I think it is very beneficial to have a goal to work toward....like a 5K. I did my first 5K in week 4 of my C25K training and I was hooked from then on. I have done many, many 5K's since then and this weekend I will be competing in my first Half Marathon at the age of 58! I plan to do another HM on the 13th of Feb and then I will begin training for a Marathon for later in the year.

Once you finish your C25K...set a goal or several goals for the year. Get a good training plan to help you acheive those goals and stick to the plan until completion and then find another. This will keep you motivated to continue running. Where we fail after completing the C25K is in not having a new goal and plan in place to carry us on through.

Good luck!

Mimi

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...