Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1586 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 8:25 PM by Urbster RSS
Urbster Legend 760 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2010 6:07 PM

Hospital recovery

The day after my first half marathon I was in an bad accident; critcal condition, brain trauma,  2 comas, no food for 5 weeks..ect.,, the doc's told my family I probably would not survive.   Two months and one race later I am alive and running again.  A problems I have is my heart rate was always high, average 165 with a 170 peak in the last dash of an old race.  Now it's 189- the whole race.....  189??   That is nuts and a  crazy high.  I am no where near being normal or running my old pace and I am mostly blind now so the practice runs are a trip with traffic.   Besides vision problem they told me it might be years until I felt normal again.   So here is the question...has anyone else ever had a catastrophe injury when people assume it would be years to get back to normal and how long do fighter/ runners like us really take to be normal again?   I started with a 5 min loss of the per mile run time and now its about 2 minutes less then normal.  I lost miles and days of running from  where I was... I promise I will be back fulltime for sure.  I would love to hear from anyone who experienced anything like this  Thanks

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Dec 21, 2010 10:20 PM (in response to Urbster)
    Re: Hospital recovery

Well, I am sorry that I cannot help you.  I am glad that you made it through the ordeal.  If there is one thing that is fortunate (if anything in your story could be called fortunate) it was that the accident happend AFTER the race, But before OR after is just as undesirable.

Good luck in your training. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Dec 22, 2010 5:40 PM (in response to Urbster)

I have no experience with anything like this.  So I can only say congratulations on your recovery and your comeback.

I do know another runner who has a large brain tumor which has left her mostly blind and for which she has begun treatment.  Before being diagnosed, she was 18 miles into the Marine Corps Marathon when she had to dropout due to side-effects.  She is hoping to keep running through her treatment.  Her blog is here (http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com/) if you're interested.

Len

Len

• tedmintes Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 22, 2010
    3. Dec 22, 2010 7:25 PM (in response to Urbster)

I haven't had a life-threatening injury but I had a bad ankle sprain in August of 2009. I had an MRI and they found the ankle ligaments were shredded from years of abuse (this was my good ankle BTW) and they were surprised I could walk without pain and I thought I could be permanently disabled. Last May, I still couldn't walk right, but I was tired of waiting so I just decided to run on it. Every run hurt and it hurt even more after the run but it also felt good to be doing what I wanted. After a few months it no longer hurt and I could walk normally. If I had listened to the doctors or done the 'right' thing I know I'd still be in a lot of pain. Running means more me to now than it ever did. I hope you can continue to improve, it sounds like you have been successful so far.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Dec 29, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to Urbster)

Urbster,

I remember you from pre HM training...I'm so sorry to hear of your accident.  No I haven't suffered the way you have but I do have a chronic medical condition and recently suffered a stress fracture that has taken much longer than "normal" to recover from with much frustration on my part.  Everyone else is all better and back to training in 6 weeks and I was diagnosed with it in August and I just started a slow comeback (I tried, reinjured, had to start over, etc).  The slow recovery is definately attributed to my medication I take for lupus.  My doctors thought my running was great until I had a lupus flare this summer...then their tune changed along with my families....and then the stress fracture and its been a sucky year for me.  The best advice I can give you is embrace this new you that you are....you  may or may not get back to where you were but acceptance of the new you is very important and normal is what is right for you now. First and foremost you are a runner!!!  I applaud your determination and drive....you are truly an inspiration I'm sure not only to those that know you but to those that will read your story...you are to me.  God Bless!

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...