Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1789 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 7:00 AM by rawnbinit
ErinCanRun Amateur 12 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2011 1:08 PM

Running at work? Logistics of getting started.

Hi all! New runner here.

I work at a Hospital with a gym and locker room, but it has only one shower. I'll have an hour break at lunch and I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed about how to do this efficiently. Do i change my clothes completely and bring a new set every day? Or should i just wear running socks in the am, switch into sneakers quickly and then once i take a quick shower change into new underwear/socks. What about showers - do most people just rinse off or should i shampoo and everything?

What about actually working out. I only have an hour so should i just go balls to the wall for 30 min without any warm up/stretching? Also, when should i eat lunch?

Thanks for any advice or tips!

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Emerson

"If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it." - Ben

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Jan 2, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to ErinCanRun)
    Re: Running at work? Logistics of getting started.

If you only have an hour, things will be kind of tight.  Is there any way that you could workout before or after work??? After work, you could change, then not have to worry about changing again after the workout.

If lunch is your only time, I would run for 30 minutes, then the rest of the time could be changing/cleaning up.  Don't worry about a full shower.  Just wipe down.  Maybe take a wash cloth and zip lock bag.  After you are done, just put it in the zip-lock. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    2. Jan 2, 2011 4:59 PM (in response to ErinCanRun)

I always ponder the logistics of this as well. I have a more flexible timeframe for working out but I never want to abuse it by taking much longer than an hour to get back to my desk.

I would suggest you workout for 30 minutes as well. It will take a lot of discipline to get right into your workout. Stretch those areas that matter the most instead of taking 5-10 minutes for a stretch session.  I would also suggest that you look into purchasing some wipes for your face (I believe Ponds has some) and bringing a wash cloth to wipe down everything else.  Reapply some deodorant, and you should be good to go. And yes, I would probably change my undergarments as well.

As for lunch, is it possible to eat while you work before you leave for the gym?  Or maybe eat something to get you through the workout (for me, wheat bread with peanut butter is enough) then eat your lunch when you get back (allow 10 minutes for you when you get back to your work location, maybe)?

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• rawnbinit Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    3. Jan 3, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to ErinCanRun)

In short, do whatever it takes to get your run in.  It makes work so much enjoyable.

If you only have time to do a shorter run, so what?  Do it.

I have been running during my lunch since I first started running in 2004.  I "shower" by bringing a fresh towel and washcloth and I use a sink.  I wash my hair everyday, a must, I sweat a lot and I live in Austin, Texas.

I recognize that not everyone can run at lunchtime, but I think a lot of people would benefit from it.  Realistically, if I couldn't run at lunch, I probably would not be able to run marathons as I would not have much time to train.  (I have three small children.)  I work a little longer day so that I can take an hour and a half lunch.

Good luck.

Ron

• PointNo1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4. Jan 3, 2011 2:30 PM (in response to ErinCanRun)

That sounds a bit hectic!  That hour will fly and you don't want to make it unenjoyable for you.  I'd also be concerned about when you eat too... ask yourself if your job allows of it when you're on the clock.  I work out in the morning and it makes the rest of my day that much better.  If you can adjust for this... that's what I'd personally advise.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Jan 4, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to ErinCanRun)

I'm just going to add my (gross?) two cents: exercise sweat doesn't have a very strong smell. It's anxiety/stress sweat that smells because of the hormonal rush you get when you're stressed. So you can take a half-*** shower. I wouldn't worry about shampooing provided you do that at home.

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • anjrober Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 29, 2009
    6. Jan 4, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

That may be true Fitz for some but not everyone.  as my wife can (and often does) attest, my exercise sweat stinks badly.  And i'm not that stressed these days.  just lots of exercise and lots of stink.

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    7. Jan 4, 2011 5:43 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

i think it depends on the person.

fitz, i'm one of those people you're talking about. i can (sorry to be gross but i work in a cubicle and far away from my co-workers) wipe off and slap on more deodorant to make it for another 3 to 4 hours. i may feel a little gritty but i won't actually smell badly.

so i guess she can use her best judgment before taking this suggestion.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• rawnbinit Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    8. Jan 5, 2011 7:00 AM (in response to anjrober)

I agree.  My wife would too.  Plus, if you are in an office environment you can often smell someone who has just been walking outside, let alone running.

When I run in the summer, the temperature ranges from 95 to 100s.  I think anyone who runs in that kind of weather will stink, even if they think that their stuff doesn't stink.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...