Skip navigation

5598 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 8:50 AM by TheGekko RSS 1 2 Previous Next
eljefepaul Amateur 9 posts since
Oct 23, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2011 12:34 PM

heart monitors / watches?

Hello. I am training for a triathlon and an endurance race this year and was thinking about picking up a heart monitor/watch to aid in my training.  What is the consensus on their use/help in training?  Anyone have any opinions/experience?  Also what models are recommended?  Between all the different types, features, and prices it seems hard to pick the perfect watch.  Currently I am leaning towards the Garmin and Suunto models.  I heard a few models have an online program that can track your progress/training and be used to create training programs.  Sounds like a good feature.

Thanks for the insight/info.

• kapfast Pro 53 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jan 4, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to eljefepaul)
    Re: heart monitors / watches?

I think a Heart Rate Monitor is an extremely valuable tool for endurance training. I use a basic Polar HRM to monitor my workouts, especially when I am base building and do not want to go over my aerobic threshold. There are many great articles regarding Heart Rate Training. Here are 2 very informative websites regarding Heart Rate Training:

Joe Friel; http://joefriel.typepad.com/blog/

Mark Allen: http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

As far as the brand of monitor, everyone has there own preference - Polar, Garmin, Suunto, Timex. If you want GPS capability, Garmin has great reviews and pretty much dominates the GPS market.

Good Luck!

KP

http://trigratitude.blogspot.com/

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    2. Jan 4, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to eljefepaul)

Heart Rate and/or power is critical for endurance sports and training.  I always used a polar.  I got a Times Ironman with GPS for Christmas and I love it.  I highly recommend it.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    4. Jan 4, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to eljefepaul)

Dear friend !

I have been using aPolar S625X for the last four years and I have no complaint.

Regards

Gunter

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jan 5, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to eljefepaul)

HRM are excellent tools just don't be a slave to it.  i like LT but max works too just whatever you choose do the field test not the formula. formulas are best guess. field test are accurate for your fitness levels at that point.

you can a very basic HRM w/ no bells or whistles for less than $50 and a fancy downloadable/gps/cadence thing for a lot lot more. depnds on what info you want.  I prefer less others like all the #s

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    6. Jan 5, 2011 2:35 PM (in response to eljefepaul)

I have had a variety over the years. I'm currently using Suunto and I have a Garmin bike set-up with HR. One thing I don't like about Polar is that you can't change the battery and you need to do this fairly often (at least once a year). Others use a standard CR2325 these days. I try not to get too caught up in the online stuff, a simple Excel spreadsheet works just fine as a training log. As others mentioned, it alldepends on what you want. Me, I want programmable zones with alarms and the ability to know how long in each zone my training was.

BT

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jan 6, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to eljefepaul)

you can test for LT and max HR.  (actually your LT and MAX HR will differ for cyclign and running so may test for each of these as well - running is more weight bearing exercise than cycling so a higher #) If i remember right LT test is a warm up then Average HR for 20 minutes of 5k pace running or a 10mile time trial.  I think MAX HR is  a  warm up then all out hill repeats w/ the highest number being the max HR

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• drew0302 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2008
    10. Jan 6, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

If you want to look at some top notch product reviews, check out the dcrainmaker blob. Definitely helped me make a decision on my latest HRM purchase...

• thecenterline Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    11. Mar 25, 2011 9:56 PM (in response to eljefepaul)

Go with a GPS watch!  I have the Garmin Forerunner 405.  The feature set is amazing.  It comes with a heart rate monitor as well but the GPS functionality will show you your fastest speed, slowest speed, average speed (in real time) and even has a cycling mode that is pretty accurate when comparing it to my bike computer.  I worked with a Polar heart rate monitor watch for awhile and while it was functional and served its purpose, the Garmin has taken my training to a whole new level. Just my $.02

"If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race." Dave Scott

www.AdvoCareTriathletes.com

advocaretriathletes@gmail.com

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    12. Apr 29, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to eljefepaul)

I have the Suunto T4 and love the watch! One of the biggest reasons is the profile of it, very slim in comparison to others on the market. It does not have gps, so if that is an option you are looking for then it might not be a good fit for you.

Once I am done with this watch, I will probably switch to the Suunto T6D. I really like this line. I have had a Garmin and although it worked great, the profile was just too large for my wrist.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    13. Apr 29, 2011 5:34 PM (in response to quadzilla1)

There is a new POLAR scheduled for this year: http://www.trijuice.com/2011/03/preview_polars_new_cutting-edge_rcx5_training_computer_watch.htm

It seems to be the best product on the market.

Gunter

• TheGekko Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    14. Jun 26, 2012 5:47 AM (in response to honguito)

I have been looking at getting the RCX5. However, I am completely confused on what accessories to get. Anyone know the "watch + accessories list" I should get? Here is what I think I "need". (Ignore cost...I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered)

1. Polar RCX5 Watch (comes with WearLink+ Hybrid Transmitter...I assume that means the fabric strap is included)
    2. G5 GPS Sensor
    3. S3+ Stride Sensor
    4. Universal Bike Mount
    5. CS Cadence Sensor W.I.N.D. (I assume I don't need the CS Speed Sensor if I get this??)

I think this covers swimming, biking, and running. I am just wondering if I really need the stride sensor if I am getting the GPS? Anyone have this watch and any of the accessories or knows about this and can provide some info? Appreciate any comments, thanks.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...