Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6275 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2011 11:30 PM by LemonaidLucy Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • MMNY Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 6, 2011 6:22 AM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: BREATHING!

Marykb, My first post ever on Active in response to a question sk8_bike_run11 asked, and you get on me for it with your reply to me.

One other bit of advice for all...relax.  I found that helps too. 

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    16. Jan 6, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to MMNY)

You're kidding, right?  I'm not the one who wants to take something simple and make it complicated.  I wasn't "getting on to you" or anyone else!  I just feel like beginners need to take a step back, RELAX (as you put it yourself) and just enjoy running - not try to count their breaths or stress over their HR or the many other things they tend to get anxious about.

I am a happy, RELAXED runner which is why I love it.  Exactly the point I was trying to make.

• MMNY Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    17. Jan 6, 2011 6:36 AM (in response to Marykb)

Um, nope.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    18. Jan 6, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

Congrats on starting your c25k!  Breathing seems to come up on a regular basis on the newbe message board.  I think several years ago I even posted a question about it.  By reading some of the other posts it seems like you've been given some very good advice to try so I'll keep it short.  For me, the best advice I was given was to "just breath" and quit worrying about it.  If you don't breath you'll pass out so just breath!   I've read about the different technics and tried to use several of them but it took way to much thought and what I found was that as I progressed in my training I started realizing that I wasn't having trouble breathing nearly as much as when I first started.  I don't think much about it even now, usually if I do think about it, it's because I'm running to fast so I just back off a little.  Good luck, have faith, as you train you'll continue to breath easier as you become better conditioned and before you know it you won't even think about it. Have a blast and good luck with that c25k!!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jan 6, 2011 7:26 AM (in response to Marykb)

Marykb wrote:

I just feel like beginners need to take a step back, RELAX (as you put it yourself) and just enjoy running - not try to count their breaths or stress over their HR or the many other things they tend to get anxious about.

Yep, Our bodies are pretty amazing pieces of equipment and I have more trust in it to know when to breathe than I do my ability to mentally figure it out. When we're going through the day, we don't try to monitor our breaths, why then should we during exercise?

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• shorty5k Pro 111 posts since
    Dec 18, 2010
    21. Jan 6, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to Marykb)

MaryKB,

Thanks for the good advice I am also new to running and when I started C25k three weeks ago someone adiced me to use the 2-2 or 3-2 method I tried it found it more confusing than helpful, then I thought to myself your body knows how to breathe, and I needed to just let it happen naturally. I love your KISS philosophy I think that is the best way to run I have found in my short time on the road.  Now can yo fix shin splints that every beginner gets......LOL

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat"

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    22. Jan 6, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to shorty5k)

Now that we seem to have discussed this breathing thing to death, I have one final bit of info.  I have just been breathing however my body wants to do it, but I decided just out of curiosity today to count my breathing vs steps.  I seem to do 3 steps while breathing in and 2 steps while breathing out.  It varies a little, but that's it more or less.  Apparently 3-2 is the path to meditative bliss. Great run, too -- cool and foggy.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• rwortmann Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    23. Jan 6, 2011 7:45 PM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

I learned a great breathing technique from a chiropractor/writer. He wrote a book called Body, Mind and Sport His name is John Douillard D.C. The technique he teaches is what he termed "Darth Vadar Breathing".  You close your mouth and exhale through your nostrils making the Darth Vadar sound. It takes a little bit of practice, but is well worth it. I ran a 5-K in Albequerque N.M. before I started training using his method. One month later I ran a 5-K in Taos N.M. elevation 7600. I trained running 4 times per week / 3 miles per run. All I did was focus on my breathing nothing else. I completed the Taos 5-K five minutes faster than my time in Albequerque.

P.S. I trained alone so no one ever bothered asking me about the 'strange' sounds coming out of my mouth. And to be perfectly honest, I felt so good running I never cared.

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    25. Jan 6, 2011 11:30 PM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

I think good breathing is important (for delivering enough oxygen to the musles). It also keeps your heart and body more relaxed when you breath properly. People, even beginners, learn to breath properly in order to sing well, play an instrument (e.g. flute), exercise (yoga) so I don't see the reason why a runner should not learn proper breathing in order to run better and more relaxed:-)

The 'yoga' breathing is great for running, it will also help you keep your running posture (if you 'fill' with air, it will keep you straight). you can practice it when not running. but you need to find your own pattern.  My most natural pattern is 3 steps breath in, 3 steps out. That works for easy runs. For recovery runs it is sometimes even 4:4. Harder steady effort makes me change it (without thinking) to 2:2. And close to maximum it's 2:1. I normally breathe in trough my nose (until I hit the point when I need more oxygen:-)) It is especially important now, when running in cold weather.

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points