Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

869035 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 297 Previous Next
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,365. Jan 7, 2011 2:35 PM (in response to Slow Running)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I finished my One Hour Runner today, I ran 5 miles in hour. I'm gonna do Hal Higdons 1/2 marathon.. Hope to increase my distance.

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,366. Jan 7, 2011 3:49 PM (in response to flamomof3)

That is a good plan.  I hope you like it.  I still use it when I'm training along with a few other training plans.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,367. Jan 7, 2011 4:20 PM (in response to Slow Running)

Thanks!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,368. Jan 8, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

runningangel:  Kerry, you're doing the right thing by repeating week 3.  No reason to push through a schedule just because "that's what it says to do".  I'm sure John Bingham and others would agree.

Too windy for me to run outside today here in Chicago.  High temp about 20 with 20-25 mph winds, wind chill of zero, no thank you.  I'll probably go to my nice warm gym later.  I did five miles on Thursday, so I should do cross-training today and maybe run two or three easy miles.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009

Hi All Penguins!...This post will be a series of thoughts...I was a fast walker in the late 80s...I was a runner all through the 90s...My morning run was 6.2 miles on the Northern California Coast...on the beach...sometimes I would dive into the waves and swim out a bit and back just to get my heart pumping...I ran with my beloved Red Dobie...or my friend Dorothy who would meet me and we would yak while we ran...some mornings seals in the waves would follow me while I was plodding along on the wet sand....I did many Fun Runs...I was only in my 30s...I loved my runs...I have always been slow...I call it my 'plod/jog'...I am now 56...I miss running...The last two months I'm running again...My body remembers...my muscles remember...I lost 30 lbs. last year...I am now at the weight I want to be...I'm up to 2.4 miles...I run in the field across from my house...when I enter the long wheat grass I'm on deer trails and deer tracks...I love the smell of the earth...I love the sweat..I love the Black Eyed Peas and their beat that urges me on...I'm high...I've still gotten 'Runner's World' for these years even tho I have only run intermittently...My last fun run was 2004...I'm ready again...I always loved Bingham's stories...I'm a 'plod/jogger' and proud of it...I try to speed up headed down my driveway on the way back...It takes me 35 minutes to do 2.4 miles...that's okay...I've signed up for a 10k May 1, 2011...thinking of trying a half marathon next October...possible?  I'm thinking it might be...I'm staying positive...You should all be so proud that you are out there DOING IT...Kudos to all of you...This group is very motivating for me...thank you...

Meg

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    1,370. Jan 8, 2011 4:57 PM (in response to Donna914)

Morning all!

Im sorry to say that there has not been any running since last week Friday, which is the longest time I think I have ever went without running. I ran the 13.1 on Friday and then I had to rest on Saturday.

Sunday I had to fly to Pittsburgh for one week of intensive school (I am getting my doctorate) and the best I could manage was a one hour walk on Monday. It wasnt that I didnt want to, but we were in class until 4ish, did homework after classes, ate dinner, and then did more homework. I would have been letting my group down and I just couldnt do it.

So ... now the negative mental thoughts start...

Tomorrow I have to run 8 miles... and I have convinced myself that since I took this time off I have lost all of my fitness... I know its not true, but mentally I feel like I wont even be able to go 8 miles, when this should be a nice easy run for me...

Alas...the run will be tomorrow, temps 16 degrees!

Jasmine: LOVE the term goldilocks runner!\

MamaBear: You are doing so well increasing your distance. I am very very proud of you!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,371. Jan 8, 2011 7:37 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

SteveBikeRun: Thank you. I'm going to stick to W3 all next week as well. My workout days are tuesdays, thursdays, saturdays. I did W3 on thursday and this morning before my long car ride to Pennsylvania to bring my daughter back to college. thursday was ok,  a bit of a challenge but this morning it was different. It went alot better! So I am just going to stick to it then start W4 a week from this tuesday.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    1,372. Jan 8, 2011 8:45 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

Emmaleigh47 - thanks for the encouragement.  I need it this week.  I got a little impatient wanting to go faster (I am soooo.... slow) and to see changes in my body quicker.  Still having to do a lot of walking.  I can consistenly get a mile without stopping now - very slowly and sometimes close to 2 miles...that varies a lot though.  Also able to jog the vast majority of my three miles with just a few short walk breaks.  Went and read some more John Bingham and am working on just enjoying myself.

This week did 4 miles on treadmill on Tuesday, 5 miles on treadmill on Thursday, and 3 miles outside on Friday.  Was raining and messy Friday but almost 40 degrees so I just had to get out there.  Tried to get out on Thursday too because it was so warm but didn't get home till late and it would have been dark before I was done.  We are in the country with no lights, I run the roads to have plowed surfaces, and I have no reflective gear - so it wasn't to be.

Tomorrow is my long run - 7 miles.  Now that I have gotten in some runs outsideon the road the treadmill is so much harder to get on.  Hopefully I can be outside tomorrow but got fresh snow and freezing temps today, after rain yesterday, so might be too slick - even with the yak-traks.

I really am loving this.  It feels so good and really is crazy fun!  In fact I have a tough time taking a day off because I miss it when I do.  Might just to put my watch away for a while.

I have been noticing some tightness between my right foot and lower right calf, achilles tendon, I think. Nothing terrible, just takes a while to warm up and feel looser and then tightens up quickly after I'm done running.  Also got some cramp like pains in the bottom of my feet this week, like little charlie horses. Any suggestions folks might have about these?

Thanks again for the encouragement Emmaleigh47 and to everybody else that posts for the motivation and insights you share.

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010

Oh2Run - welcome back!  I loved your post...it was poetic and reflects how I feel, even though I have only been "running" about 6 weeks and didn't start until I was 53 and way overweight!  I fully intend to do a HM (2/26/11) and then a marathon (May, 11).  I know I'll have to walk and plod/jog a lot of it but am still looking forward to it.  I intend to follow John Bingham's advice in his book "Courage to Start" and take drinks from the youngest at each table and to laugh and visit and just enjoy myself.  I push myself in a lot of areas of my life to be successful and my running I want to be just for me and just for fun!

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

Apr 18, 2010
    1,374. Jan 9, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

MAMABEAR- It may help to roll your foot on a tennis ball before and after you run. You could also stretch out your calf musclebefore and after you run. I have very tight calf muscles and stretching always helps me.  I do lots of yoga stretching for runners.  If you look on line you should find some examples to follow.

I'm having trouble with my knees right now and have taken a two day brake from running.  I think its the dry guards I'm using to run in the snow.  I feel as though they are changing my foot strike, and am going to try using my dh's yaktraks hoping they will last longer then two weeks.  They are larger then mine but that may work in my favor.

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,375. Jan 9, 2011 9:04 PM (in response to Slow Running)

Hello, penguins!

It's great to see the new members here and hear everyone's stories and accounts!  There's so much inspiration on a board like this.  I don't post a whole lot because of time constraints, but I follow this thread faithfully and it really helps to have a support group!

I've been continuing doing intervals of running/walking and trying to build strength and endurance. It's been freeeeezing here the past two weeks, but I've found that I really enjoy working out in the winter.  There's a challenge to running on varying terrain (dry pavement, snow, etc.)  that keeps my mind active and challenged, so that's been a nice discovery!

I went snowshoeing the past two weekends...heaven! I have a 5K snowshoe run coming up this month, too.  Should be fun!

snowshoe 2 Jan 8.jpg

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• Koromir Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 10, 2011
    1,376. Jan 10, 2011 1:11 AM (in response to Donna914)

Man I feel like a weakling. I am only 24 and I am not the best with sports. I was born with the mental disability cerebral palsy. I suppose it is an answer to prayer that I can even run let alone walk. My posture isn't the best and my muscles tire easy because of the disability however I feel that running suits me. It is just me, the road, and my music. Running does a great job of making me forget my worries and stresses. It helps me to think clearer while improving my overall health and leg strength. My best is 5k in about 33 minutes. That all ended when I took a horrible spill at work. My knees are already in poor shape and the spill made my knee swell so much! It was hard to walk or put much pressure/walk on stairs for 3 months afterwards. It still cracks and hurts when I travel on the stairs with a load. Am I never to run again?

Before I had horrible spill, I had bad knees but oddly enough they didn't hurt when I ran. Is there a way to get back to where I was before the accident? I love running because I don't have doubts of whether I am good enough or not. It is not a team sport. I am the star player always because it is just me. I really really miss running. Help?

• FunRunSue Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    1,377. Jan 10, 2011 5:01 AM (in response to Koromir)

Hello fellow Penguins -

Very inspiring stuff out here.  Love the idea of running on the beach!  A friend of mine did that on vacation and she said it was awesome.  Can't imagine being able to do it every day.  And snowshoeing - I wanted to try that this year, but haven't gotten to it yet.  It sounds like so much fun.  Is it hard to learn?

I ran 6 yesterday - it was 7 degrees when I started, but 14 when I finished.  Sun was out and it was a really nice run, but I was out of gas.  I have been running outside twice a week, and once a week inside doing intervals on the treadmill.  This seems to be working for me pretty well.  Strenght/circuit training on the other three days.  One day of rest.

To all you beginners - I can't tell you how inspiring it is to read your progress.   Gives me warm fuzzies and renewed resolve!

To Koromir - perhaps you could see a physical therapist/trainer who specializes in sports medicine?   I am not good at sports either - tried a few in high school but I couldn't compete with those that had natural talent so I gave up.  I feel the same way as you about running.  It's very individual, but so awesome to share my love with a community of other runners.  Good luck!  I hope you are back on the road soon!

Apr 18, 2010
    1,378. Jan 10, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to Koromir)

I ran 5.11 miles today.  Very cold but I layered up really well.  I wore my dh's yaktraks and they workled pretty well so I will have to see how long they last.  there larges so I'm hoping that will keep them from stretching and snapping.  Koromir, I would check with your doctoer before running.  Ice the knee and try a knee brace.  Maybe that will help you.  I have bad knees and wear knee braces to run.  It has kept m on the road so far.

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,379. Jan 10, 2011 9:25 AM (in response to FunRunSue)

FunRunSue wrote:

Hello fellow Penguins -

Very inspiring stuff out here.  Love the idea of running on the beach!  A friend of mine did that on vacation and she said it was awesome.  Can't imagine being able to do it every day.  And snowshoeing - I wanted to try that this year, but haven't gotten to it yet.  It sounds like so much fun.  Is it hard to learn?

It's not very hard to learn at all!  Just dont' turn too quickly or back up until you're used to the 'shoes--it's easy to trip over your feet, and I did the first couple of times out, myself.

I would rent some snowshoes (and trekking poles, if you don't have them) from a local outfitter just to try them out--and go with a group of friends.  It's a lot of fun!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...