Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2614 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2011 3:38 PM by classicallytrained RSS
jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
Jan 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 9:58 AM

How to break 3 mile slump? :(

I started the couch to 5K program this summer. At the end of the summer I could jog roughly 3 miles (some days only 2).  But I am slooooooow. Now that it is winter I've had to switch to treadmill running inside. Three miles is painful. Some days I can do it, other days I have to stop and walk at 2.5. I'm still at about a 15 minute mile (on treadmill or outside).

My question is....when is 3 miles going to get easier and faster???

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    1. Jan 9, 2011 10:33 AM (in response to jeljohns)
    Re: How to break 3 mile slump? :(

Hi Jeljohns,

I am no expert as I only started the C25K two weeks ago. But, when you say it is painful what do you mean?

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    3. Jan 9, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to jeljohns)

When you have pain in your chest and a hard time breathing, the obvious suggestion is to see a doctor.

I would suggest a physician that also is a runner or has patients that are runners.

It may be serious or not. Just have it checked out.

If you have already seen a doctor, then I would suggest slowing down. And wear a heart monitor.

Even though you seem to be running slower as compared to others on these pages,

that doesn't matter. You need to run your speed.

Use a walk/run interval plan to establish a fitness level that will allow you to achieve your goals.

Research how to use a heart monitor to determine your workout levels.

The internet is a great source of information about using a heart monitor.

Some of us acquire lots of mileage first, some acquire speed first.

The speed will come once the fitness level is achieved.

Good luck and don't give up. You are on your way.

Mike

• GorrillaPino Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 9, 2011
    4. Jan 9, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Sounds like you had some of the same issues I had a few years ago when I first started long-distance runs.  If it is physical pain (like chest tightness etc) see a doctor just to make sure its nothing serious.  But if it is more mental, you will break through it. For me, I had to change up my runs to make them more interesting and ended up actually getting a running buddy. Yeah, treadmill running is boring, but If you play with the settings  (like hills, things like that) you can give yourself a bit of a challenge.  Like, instead of doing 3 miles on level ground, do two miles on a slight incline.  The next run, do 1.5 miles on a steep incline, then the run after that..do 3 miles on level ground.  I used to run 1-2 miles and call it a day.  Now, i run no less then 3 miles on any given route. If you can find a running partner that will make it even easier to break through your mental block.  And as others have said, the more you run, the easier it will get..just make sure you get plenty of water and get some recovery time in.  But like many things, it takes time.  I would get so frustrated I would be on the verge of giving up.  Just know that you will get there, as long as you keep going.  Good luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jan 9, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Look up "Human Performance Laboratory".  They are most commonly found at universities but sometimes at rehab centers.

Unless you're talking about a stress test, which your doctor can schedule for you at your local hospital.

Len

Len

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    7. Jan 9, 2011 5:54 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Jeljohns, This may sound strange, and I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to learn to breathe . My wife had a similar problem .She couldn't run as far as her fresh legs would allow . She was breathing too slowly which wouldn't allow her to breath deeply . I use my footfalls to time my breathing . Three in three out, or four in four out, for long slow runs . Two in two out for faster runs, being very sure to breathe in and out completely . That is not to say you shouldn't see a doctor . That's always good advice . Hope this helps .

Marc,

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    8. Jan 9, 2011 6:20 PM (in response to jeljohns)

As a nurse/runner I would say to get checked out by a cardiologist...a heart doc..they can give you a good once over to make sure you're healthy!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    10. Jan 13, 2011 3:38 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Wow!

I am sorry you are having such a rough experience.

You can go get a good heart monitor for $20-$40.

Walmart, sporting goods stores or Timex stores at the mall carry them.

There is a simple formula you can use: by subtracting your age from 225, you can determine your maximum heart rate.

Then as you work out, you can keep an eye on the heart rate and pace yourself scientifically.

Still a visit to the doctor is in order.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...