Skip navigation

1173 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 9, 2011 7:41 PM by ShutzHeScorz RSS
kiidsplash Amateur 32 posts since
Nov 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 5:21 PM

What should i do to make the team next year?

This yr when i had my tryouts my coach told me i played good but i have 2 work on Getting bigger and stronger ...Wat does he mean by that...also he said to have confidence when i dribble..i thnk he means dont be scared 2 be aggressive im not sure and also im a lefty is it true left handed ppl are harder 2 block...also what shuld i do to work on off hand dribbling... Thanks in advance

• ShutzHeScorz Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 9, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to kiidsplash)
    Re: What should i do to make the team next year?

Sounds like the coach wants you to develop a stronger game in the post (not just for big men anymore!) It's important to work on your leg strength, including your butt, and your core (abs, back, chest, etc.) to hold your own, whether defending a player in the post or working against a defender on offense or positioning yourself for rebounds. The leg strength will also help your range on your jump shot and, potentially, your speed (if you couple lifts and pushes with sprints).

Being left-handed should be an advantage; most players are right-handed and are used to guarding righthanders, so the geometry of defending a southpaw can give most of us a little trouble.

To be confident and/or aggressive when you dribble, you have to believe the ball's going to be where your hand expects it to be. You need to be able to drive left or right equally well without looking at the ball. Best way to do this is practice, practice, practice. Isiah Thomas used to carry a basketball with him everywhere, even to classes (I don't know if he got in trouble for dribbling is school, but he did become a Hall of Fame point guard).

A fun way to work on dribbling with your off hand is to play one-handed one-on-one -- in your case, if you touch the ball with your left hand, it's a turnover to the other player. If that player is right-handed and touches the ball with his/her right hand, that's a turnover to you. So to dribble or shoot, you have to use your weak hand, and the more you use your weak hand the stronger it gets. You can modify the rules to fit your own needs.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points