Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1725 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2011 11:49 PM by LemonaidLucy
KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 10:23 AM

Help about shoes

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to running and I am two weeks into the C25K program. By the sound of things I am way bigger than the average runner on this site wieghing in at 250lbs. I have done the first two weeks in a pair of old tennis shoes, that were expenisive and great for playing tennis but have taken a beating and nearing the end of their life. So, I am in the market for a new pair of proper running shoes. I went to Fleet Feet today and the girl there allowed me to try quite a few pairs and was a wonderful help. But, before throwing down well over $100 on a pair of shoes I thought I would ask what people are using on here. The two shoes I thought were the best were Nike Zoom Vomero 5 and Mizuno Wave Creation 5 and a friend of mine who ran the NY marathon last year swears by ASICS.

So, I would love to hear what people think about the kinds of shoes you wear.

Thanks.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 9, 2011 11:12 AM (in response to KleinFireman)
    Re: Help about shoes

I'm no expert when it comes to shoes, I know I wouldn't spend more than $100 for a pair but that's just me.. I have a simple pair of Asics Gel with No bells or Whistles and paid $50. I love them!

• rah2074 Pro 69 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    2. Jan 9, 2011 11:19 AM (in response to flamomof3)

I believe that the SHow is the most improtant part of our gear.  We dont have much - but the shoe does help.

I was finding that I was not able to break into longer distances with a plain pair of shoes.. Once I got a good pair ( bought some Saucony on sale at an expo for $80.00) it felt like I was running on air.  My advice is to go to a running specialty store.  Have them check your gait and fit your properly.  There are shoes for every budget.  The way you strike makes a difference on what type of shoe to get.  DO you overpronate or underpronate?  Heal strike - Ball Strike?  Usually they can tell jsut by looking at your feet.  I am a mid - I pronate nuetral so I use stability shoes.

Seriously take the 15 minutes and go to a store - tell them your budget and they will fit you perfectly

"Run because you like it.. or because a big dog is chasing you"

2nd full year of Running.  I have successfuly finished 6 5K's and 2 10K's in my first year.

PR:5K 27:20 10K 56:04

2011 Events - 1 want to do at least 10

2/5/2011 - Tackle the Tower - 40 Floor Stair run in Cleveland - 7:13

3/6/2011 - Shamrock 15K (9.5miles) - Cuy Falls 1:31

4/9/2011 - Poratge Run to the Beach 5k PR: 25:50

5/15/2011 Cleveland 1/2 Marathon 2:12

6/18/2011 Autism Society 5K Akron Ohio

6/26/2011 Achievement Centers 10K - Cleveland Hieghts

9/11/2011 Chicago 1/2 Marathon

10/16/2011 Columbus 1/2 marathon

• Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    3. Jan 9, 2011 1:19 PM (in response to rah2074)

Hi KleinFireman

I agree with rah2074 100%. I went to a specialty store in Baton Rouge, LA and they offered similar services. Defintiely trust your local specialty store and buy what's affordable for you. I'm about 6'3 and 190lb. I run in the Asics GEL-DS Trainer 15 http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASC1406/

i'll be looking for another pair in February...maybe with a little more cushion. Hope this helps!

rah2074 wrote:

I believe that the SHow is the most improtant part of our gear.  We dont have much - but the shoe does help.

I was finding that I was not able to break into longer distances with a plain pair of shoes.. Once I got a good pair ( bought some Saucony on sale at an expo for $80.00) it felt like I was running on air.  My advice is to go to a running specialty store.  Have them check your gait and fit your properly.  There are shoes for every budget.  The way you strike makes a difference on what type of shoe to get.  DO you overpronate or underpronate?  Heal strike - Ball Strike?  Usually they can tell jsut by looking at your feet.  I am a mid - I pronate nuetral so I use stability shoes.

Seriously take the 15 minutes and go to a store - tell them your budget and they will fit you perfectly

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• CRAZ8 Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 12, 2010
    4. Jan 9, 2011 8:43 PM (in response to KleinFireman)

You should go to a reputable sports shoe store and have them set you up with what they think you should have.

I recently started running, and needed new shoes.  I got setup with some Saucony shoes to support my pronation.  After running a bit longer, I was getting ankle problems in one leg only, but only after running about 20mins or longer.  I took them back to my shoe shop and got refitted with some Saucony flatter shoes.  Much less correction built into the shoe.  They took my shoes with 15+ miles on them back and gave me the new shoes, no questions asked.  (My current shoes are probably cheaper, but they won't be able to sell my first pair as new, so the deal works out for me!)

Do not be afraid to go back if your new shoes don't work for you - a good store wants to get you into shoes that work for you.  If you turn into a runner, you'll be back often for new shoes!

Jan 2011 - Bermuda International Race Weekend 10K - 1:22:22

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    5. Jan 9, 2011 11:49 PM (in response to KleinFireman)

The pp are right. You should go to a speacialty store and have your gait checked. They should reccomend you shoes accordingly.

I only have experience with neutral/cushioned shoes. I agree with your friend about the Asics. I have Nimbus 12 and I LOVE them. They are the perfect balance of cush and response for me. If your built is heavier, you might be better off with Saucony Progrid Triumph, or even the Mizuno Wave Creation. I don't have experience with the Vomeros but I've read they're very cushioned as well. So that's my 2p:-)

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points