Skip navigation

1457 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 4:04 PM by Cory Steiner
Cory Steiner Pro 61 posts since
Jul 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 11:18 AM

Hal Higdon Programs?

So, I'm in like week 8 of my 22 week program for the May 1st Gettysburg Marathon.  My program's the best ideas from all the advice I've gotten, but I looked online today since I don't know what I'm doing.  Making great progress in a weekly Winter Series through the tundra and am almost finishing with people who look like actual runners.

Hal Higdon's ( www.halhigdon.com )  programs seem to make a lot of sense.  I think I'll be starting his "Intermediate I" tomorrow (skipping the first few weeks) for May 1 and then maybe the "Intermediate II" for the MCM this year.

Good stuff?  Yes?

Thanks for any insight.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Jan 9, 2011 4:00 PM (in response to Cory Steiner)
    Re: Hal Higdon Programs?

Len will tell you, he knows, but he's been sick so he's not running right now.  Immer will give you info as well.  I can't, I have done my own thing more or less.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 9, 2011 4:22 PM (in response to Cory Steiner)

Higdon's plans are good - solid - though I often think his Novice plans are a little light.  The Intermediate plans are better.  I particularly like the 7 - 8 milers a couple times a week.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jan 9, 2011 5:47 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I have used all three levels, Novice was good for my 1st marathon.  As Len stated it is a little light, the intermediate plan is far better if you have a solid base.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    4. Jan 10, 2011 9:27 AM (in response to Cory Steiner)

I enjoyed the Novice then Intermediate I and moved up to Intermediate II.  I didn't like it.  It was too many miles on too many days.  I found myself beginning to dread my runs!  It was so much that I had forgotten all about speed or hill work.  I backed up to Novice and have added P90X.  Love it!  Much happier.  I'm never going to break any land speed records, so I got back to what makes more sense for my abilities.  One or two 20 milers is more than enough for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...