Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2002 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2006 9:49 PM by fairyphotographer
Sachikoh Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2006 10:25 AM

Yoga - as crosstraining

I started Bikram yoga as crosstraining, and it helped me greatly with balance on my bike, form in running, and upperback strength in swimming,,,,etc. but it is time consuming. (I do 90min yoga 4-5 times a week) Anybody out there with experience with yoga as crosstraining? How should I balance this with my swim/bike/run training??

• janiemalloy Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 9, 2006 9:37 AM (in response to Sachikoh)
    Re: Yoga - as crosstraining

Try another form of yoga, just to learn more poses.  Then, you can put together your own practice with the poses that help you the most.  Doing even 10-15 minutes daily will keep you stretched and limber.  Also, doing a 10-15 minute warm-up before biking/running/swimming, and then stretching afterward will keep you in good condition. I do different stretches depending on which sport I'm doing, to prevent injury, but I don't do yoga for more than 20 minutes at a time.  I like to stretch before I get into bed, too, even if it is for 5 minutes.

• scot24 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Dec 11, 2006 7:55 PM (in response to Sachikoh)

my wife is a yoga instructor.  I thought at first, no way this would help me.  I gave it a couple of tries.  Man... My soreness is gone & my flexibility is thru the roof.  If anyone needs anymore information, let me know.  I'm doing my first 1/2 ironman in the spring.  This stuff is great.

Scot

• scot24 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 11, 2006 7:57 PM (in response to Sachikoh)

s

• fairyphotographer Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Dec 13, 2006 9:49 PM (in response to Sachikoh)

Yoga focusses on core strength and flexability; two things that are often neglected or "backburnerd" in home training; and are very big "keys" to success in athletics.  Other things that you can try to mix it up a little bit are: Tai-chi, stability ball exercises, foam-rolling (or "sticking" with "The Stick"), stability pads/disks, and/or deep tissue massage, for similar benifits.

Marshall Coleman

National Academy of Sport Medicine-OPT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...