Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2426 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 8:22 AM by themurrays1234
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2011 10:40 PM

Into the Wild OC Trail Run Reviews

Share your experiences with the Into the Wild OC Trail Run below Back to event details page.

• IntotheWildOCtrailrun Amateur 15 posts since
    Jan 10, 2011
    1. Jan 10, 2011 10:41 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Into the Wild OC Trail Run Reviews

This will be a great event

• bcowdell Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    2. Mar 27, 2011 10:57 AM (in response to Guest )

Needs a lot of work to make this a lasting event.  Very challenging course - too many hills.  Miles 4-10 were almost straight uphill with switchbacks.  Even the most elite athletes are walking the hills - which makes this a hike and not a run/half-marathon.  The aide stations were very few and far between (which we were warned about) but I had no idea that they would be incredibly scarce. There were no mile markers, my GPS said the course was 14.1 miles long, no finisher medals, no significant aide at the end of the run (a few cut orange slices).  This race is a good idea that needs a lot of tweaking before I will do it again.

• Berry Family Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 13, 2007
    3. Mar 27, 2011 11:40 AM (in response to Guest )

i thought this was a great event, especially since it was the inaugural.  i did the 10k, a perfect distance with hills, mud and rocks.  a suggestion for next year would be to have the miles marked with a cone or a different color ribbon.  also, please, no styrofoam cups next year.  they are the worst for the environment.  overall, it was fun and i would run it again.

• jocelynjimenez Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    4. Mar 27, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to Guest )

This was an awesome race! It was muddy and challenging. I only did the 10k but I finished needing more. I can't wait to do the 21k next year. This course was definitely not for the faint of heart. It's a very low-key race. If you need the large crowds and tons of water and aide stations then this is NOT the race for you. If you want to challenge yourself physically and mentally this is all you.

• Up Early Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    5. Mar 27, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time - mud was very slippery, hills were harder than expected and my garmin had it at 14.4 miles - but otherwise loved the challenge.  Some post event follow up (awards or something) would have been nice.  A more detailed review, explanation of course before we began would have been nice.

• Scotty Jordan Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2009
    6. Mar 27, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to Guest )

The 21k course was very challenging and that's why I loved it.  You didn't have to be an elite to run every hill (me), but you certainly had to work for every step.  Great course.   I agree that mile markers and 1 or 2 more aid stations were needed but I expect these additions to be made for next year.  I look forward to running this again.

• jswiat Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010
    7. Mar 27, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought that it was a good event. I would run it again next year if it is held. I would like to see a trail map posted from the 21k, so that I could put in the proper training for next year. Things that I liked: Small amount of runners competing, family atmosphere, beautiful scenery, great volunteers and challenging course. Things I disliked: Course markings were sometimes challenging to see, muddy and difficult conditions, singletrack trails didn't give a lot of room for passing and finish line was confusing. I definitely believe this course was WAY more challenging than the Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon held at Camp Pendleton over Labor Day weekend. But, that makes me want to train even harder for next year, especially on the hills... Thanks for putting this race on...

• MartinSullivan Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2011
    8. Mar 27, 2011 2:19 PM (in response to Guest )

The course was pretty hard.  There were a lot of people at the finish line whining like babies. "My gps said it was 14 miles", or "too many hills".  Suck it up people!  Who cares if it was 14.4 miles!  The course was so easy to follow. Stevie Wonder could have run the course. No complaints, it was awesome!  No pain, no gain

• jenmagill@yahoo.com Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 21, 2009
    9. Mar 27, 2011 5:19 PM (in response to Guest )

I only ran the 10k but thought overall it was a great event. The course was challenging but not too challenging even with the muddy conditions. The event staff was upbeat and personably, the goody bag was decent, the t-shirt was great (hooray for a woman's version!) and free parking to boot.

The website could have had a few more details regarding the event / course and the registration packet pick up times / locations were inconvenient (at least for me) but overall I was impressed as most inaugural events don't go off this smoothly.

I'll be back for the next one for sure.

• STACIOCONNOR Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    10. Mar 27, 2011 5:52 PM (in response to Guest )

I participated in this event as a first time marathon runner, let alone trail run. I had a small amount of preparation as well. I am reading the other reviews cracking up! I cant believe what people complain about!! I thought it was a great event! Yes it was challenging, muddy, slippery, and at times uneven ground and small trails BUT when I signed up for a "trail run"... That's exactly what I expected to deal with. I thought they provided what I needed and if I wanted more water, then I could have ran with a water bottle! The staff was so helpful and nice. I'll def be back next year plus a few of my pals.. Thanks Mike and everyone involved

• shannen24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    11. Mar 27, 2011 6:52 PM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this race. It was well organized!! I look forward to running it again!

• kakubani Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    12. Mar 27, 2011 7:14 PM (in response to Guest )

Very challenging.  Glad to hear it was 14  miles.  The mud was a challenge - but to be expected considering the weather.  I've never done a trail race before so didn't expect the hills - but glad I was a part of it.  Thanks to everyone who put on the race.

• Kelley Dyer Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008
    13. Mar 27, 2011 8:00 PM (in response to Guest )

Loved the run and the hills!  What amazing scenery to take in and made the run go by fast!  I agree that the trail could have been marked better.  However, it was great considering this was the first one!  Wish there were signs or people guiding us to the bananas and treats.  I don't think many people knew the food was there.  Looking forward to the next one!  Thank you so much for a great time and all your hard work!!

• themurrays1234 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    14. Mar 30, 2011 8:22 AM (in response to Guest )

What a great inaugural race!  When I read the initial course description with 21K and several big climbs, I thought it would be a challenging, fun course.  After a week of rain prior to the race I feared it would be cancelled, but the race organizers did a super job by finding an alternative course with even more mileage and hills!  That's trail racing!  Yes I walked parts of 3 hills, but overall I maybe spent 3-4 minutes total walking.  Everything else was runable.  Running in the mud made me feel like a little kid again and the 14.25 miles that my Garmin clocked went by fast.  Post race schwag and refreshments were top notch as was the awards ceremony which included a raffle.  I think everyone who stayed for the raffle got something, that's how many things they were giving away.  There are always last minute problems to fix and fires to put out when something like this is put on, and the organizers did a fantastic job dealing with it all.  I hope we are back out that way next year during our Spring Break again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...