Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1497 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2011 9:45 AM by TKReid
TKReid Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2011 2:27 PM

Can anyone recommend a good hat for running in the rain?

My fleece one gets poofy on top. I saw one on a  woman at my last race that was like a baseball cap but covered the ears, and cinched in the back w/ a cord.  I should have stopped and asked about it, but I didn't.  Anyone seen one like that?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I've done my share of running in the rain, and I generally gravitate towards my Brooks Night Life hat. It's essentially a standard ball cap-style hat, but it's bright yellow and has a red LED flasher built into the back of the hat (both for visibility, of course). It does a nice job of keeping the rain off my head and out of my eyes and the visor helps me protect my vision from oncoming cars with bright headlights (many/most of my runs are in the dark). If offers no ear protection (from cold or sound, I suppose), however.

It sounds a little bit like you might be looking for a winter hat. For the most part, if it's raining during the winter, I've just added a pair of Ear-Grips or a fleece headband thing to keep my ears warm. Otherwise, you might want to take a look at some cycling caps. There are quite a few out there that have fold-down ear flaps, though the visors tend to be a little bit shorter. For example: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_501226_-1_201579_10000_200490

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Just looking around on the Lands' End site, and I noticed a couple of items that seem to fit the description of the hat you saw at the race: their Stretch Fleece Cap ($19.50; go to the web site and go to Women > Outerwear > Hats, Gloves & Scarves > Hats) and the Men's Squall Hat (Men > Outerwear > Hats, Gloves & Scarves > Hats). The squall hat seems more likely to be water resistant, but it's on sale and only small and extra-large are available.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points