Skip navigation

888 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 11, 2011 3:07 PM by Coltdoggs
cpt87gn Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2011 8:48 AM

need help with youth drills for left hand

hi i been coaching my sons team of 9year olds for 6 seasons and I bought lots of videos and theres a bunch of great drills but most of them you have to use both hands which most of my players can't , so whats the easyest way to start training them to use the left for dribbleing .videos drills anything will help    I have the steve nash mvp and 48 championship drills and great ball handling made easy and many others but none show any drills for left hand

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 11, 2011 3:07 PM (in response to cpt87gn)
    Re: need help with youth drills for left hand

They can't or won't?  ;-)

Two ball dribbling drills...it's the most effective way to develope the non dominant hand.

I run a team drill I call 2 Ball Perimeter ( I coach 5th grade girls travel team)...I time the group and challenge them to beat their times each practice...

4 sets of balls for 8 or more players...only 3 sets if you have 6-7 players.  Using speed dribble...

Start in the corner at the baseline...dribble down the baseline to lane, up the lane line to FT line....across FT line, back down the other lane line to baseline...out to the opposite sideline, up to half court, then across half court and then back down the sideline.  Next player in line begins when the player ahead of them reaches the first elbow.

Time them the first time thriough to get a benchmark for the group.  Shave 5 seconds off it the next time through and keep shaving time.  My girls started at 1:35 and are now under one minute for a group of 10.  Run this about 3 times every practice  and you'll be surprised how quickly that weak hand starts to get developed.

C-Doggs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points