Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

867813 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,425. Jan 14, 2011 2:45 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I ran 4.33 miles today. I was stuck on 4 miles cause I can't seem to run the full 4 miles without walking. Now I know all the arguements about how walking isn't failing but I just can't seem to FEEL it. I wish i could get past that feeling. My friend suggested I run farther, and then i can come back and run the 4 miles and I will be able to do it without walking, so, I'm going to try that.

Thanks for listening out there.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• jaypzl Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010
    1,426. Jan 14, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to Donna914)

This post is dope.

I miss that article! I even went as far as painting a Penguin on the back of my favorite running shirt!

I'm a slow runner too, but have improved my time over the years... I remember when I couldn't run 2 minutes! 1 mile was huge for me! Now I'm somewhere between 10.5-12 minute mph avg when going over 4 miles... I love the long runs and I'm setting out to do my 5th LA Marathon... Trying to come in at 5 hours or under... Maaaaaan, I could never find any articles or examples or stories about the slow runners (anyone over 5 hours)... So the Penguin page in RW was always refreshing to read since most of the mag and industry is dedicated to the elites... Those Boston peeps with their minus 2.5 - 3 hour times effin' freak me out... but hey, not all of us were built the same...

Being Samoan, not too many of us are runners, but you'd be amazed at how fast we move (in short distances of course!) for being big peeps... Anyhow, I dig the fact that I'm doin' something different in my community and that I'm really into this running thing. We started a Team Samoa last year to help our island folks shed some pounds and get health conscious... So now we've got quite a few Penguins in our Pack!

My mantra is "just finish baby"... hehehe!

Thanks for posting this up... Will chime in from time to time... Good luck to all my Penguins out there!

AlofaZ,

JP.

• Laumau Amateur 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    1,427. Jan 15, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi all,

I downloaded a free app for my phone called Runkeeper. I used it yesterday on my 3.2 mile run. It was really easy to use and kept really great stats but it ate up all my battery power because it used GPS.

Well, I run even slower than I thought. I averaged a 15:15 mile. The good thing is that if I do want to increase my pace I think Runkeeper can help me do that pretty easily.

Have a great weekend!

My races:

First 5K, RRISD Project Grad, 3/5/11- 36:25
    Georgetown Red Poppy 5K, 4/17/11- 32:30

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,428. Jan 15, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to Laumau)

I use Runkeeper all the time. I also like that I can send my activites to my friend and mentor, and he can review it and make suggestions on what/how I can improve my runs. I love it. I also like that you can associate a Music file with it or play whatever you want in the back ground, I listen to NPR, or a playlist. I even listen to audio books while I run.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• Laumau Amateur 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    1,429. Jan 15, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Hey, thanks for your reply. That's so cool that it keeps all your runs so you can review them or share them with a mentor.

Yes, I noticed the playlist feature. Not bad for a free app! I was worried about eating too much battery but my husband said that playing music doesn't take too much power, so I might try it next time.

My races:

First 5K, RRISD Project Grad, 3/5/11- 36:25
    Georgetown Red Poppy 5K, 4/17/11- 32:30

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    1,430. Jan 15, 2011 3:05 PM (in response to Donna914)

HI ALL PENGUINS....SO...I AM JUST CATCHING UP ON POSTS AND CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO SAY HOW I'M SO GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD ON ACTIVE.COM...WILL NOT ACCURATELY REPLY TO EVERYBODY'S POSTS BUT LOVE THE ENTHUSIASM OF EVERYONE AND JASMINE I JUST LOVE YOUR SNOW SCULPTURE ON THE HOOD OF YOUR CAR!!  YOU'RE SO TALENTED!!  AND LAST WEEK I HAD READ THE POST REGARDING JOHN BINGHAM'S BOOK 'COURAGE TO START' (I'VE ALWAYS LOVED HIS ARTICLES IN RUNNER'S WORLD AND MISS THEM) AND HAD DH PICK IT UP WHEN HE WAS IN THE CITY AT BARNES AND NOBLE AND IT IS SUCH A MOTIVATING BOOK AND I LOVE IT!!  THANKS SO MUCH....AFTER READING POSTS FROM THIS WEEK I AM SO JOYOUS TO SEE SO MANY WOMEN AROUND MY AGE GROUP ACCOMPLISHING SO MUCH WITH THEIR RUNNING AND IT JUST SPURS ME ON...SO THIS WEEK WAS BASICALLY AN UNUSUALLY AWFUL WEEK FOR MY DH AND ME...BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE...HE HAD A BUSINESS APPT. UP ON THE NORTH COAST (WE'RE TRYING TO GET RE-LOCATED BACK UP ON THE COAST) AND I WENT ALONG FOR THE TRIP WITH PLANS TO RUN ON MY BELOVED BEACH (WE LIVED THERE AND MET THERE AND I LIVED THERE AS A SINGLE WOMAN AND DID MY BEACH RUNS EVERY MORNING FOR YEARS) SO I TOOK MY RUNNING TOGS...BUT OUR TRUCK BROKE DOWN AND THEN AN EXTRA DAY THERE AND SO ON AND SO ON...(THE REASON IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE IS THAT WE BROKE DOWN CLOSE TO OUR MOTEL AND COULD HAVE BROKEN DOWN ON THE WAY UP THRU A NARROW CANYON ROAD WITH NO PLACE TO PULL OVER EVEN) WE HAD TO RENT A CAR TO GET HOME LEAVING THE VEHICLE THERE...AND THEN A STORM CAME IN AND IT WAS COLD, WINDY AND RAINY...SO I DIDN'T GET MY RUN IN...BUT WE GOT HOME...SLIDING ALONG IN THE SNOW AND ICE IN A MUSTANG OF ALL THINGS AND I WAS TERRORIZED AND I'M SOOOO OUT OF WHACK RIGHT NOW...DIDN'T GET MY WATER QUOTA IN AND NEVER SLEEP WELL IN MOTELS AND THEN HAD TO WORK THE LAST HALF OF THE WEEK WHEN WE GOT HOME AND STILL DIDN'T GET MY WATER IN LET ALONE ANY RUNS OR EXERCISE...I'M SO GLAD TO BE HOME AND MY HOUSE IS FILLED WITH MY WHITE SAGE INCENSE AND I'M CENTERING AGAIN...HA...I'M SUCH A FREAK...SO SAYS THE DH...I'M SO SET IN MY WAYS AND IT'S AN AGE THING? ")  SO TOMORROW I'M HEADED OUT THE DOOR TO DE-STRESS AND GET A GOOD RUN IN BECAUSE AFTER THIS LAST COUPLE MONTHS OF GETTING BACK INTO THE RUNNING GROOVE I'M REALIZING THAT I NEED THAT RUN TO DEAL WITH LIFE'S STRESSES AND I FEEL THAT OLD FAMILIAR FEELING THAT MY LIFE JUST ISN'T COMPLETE IF I DON'T HAVE MY RUN IN...AND I LIKE THAT OLD FAMILIAR FEELING...KEEP ON PENGUINING EVERYBODY AND KEEP THAT PASSION GOING!!

XOXOOX

MEG

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    1,431. Jan 15, 2011 3:20 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Diver?

So Sunrunner719 are you a diver?  Ha...I thought your header about the seaweed sounded so familiar...I once dumped my ex-husband off of the dive board when I felt some seaweed wrap around my leg when he was towing me behind the board and he had to dive down and retrieve our tanks and stuff from the bottom of the sea...(thought the sea monster had me) I still have my dive card and want to experience some tropical places without kelp beds some day....:)  I went to Cozumel a couple of years ago and the visibility was so nice I could also see if a great white was coming my way!!  But I was a little anxious and the dive guide had to basically hold my hand the whole way....I want to do lots more diving in the future...gotta stick with my newfound running renewal tho to keep in shape to deal with the rigors of diving tho...just wondered about your 'seaweed' comment.....

xoxoxox

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Re: Diver?

So I've been running 5 miles for the last 2 weeks on my long run and tomorrow I will doing 6 miles with no running partner.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,433. Jan 15, 2011 4:02 PM (in response to jaypzl)

This is very cool that you've joined us. I loved your comment about doing something different in your community -- you're right -- the Samoans I know don't look like they're built for speed.  However, it's great to hear that you're growing a team.  Are you on the mainland or off somewhere in the beautiful Pacific (lucky dog if you are)?  Anyway, welcome to Penguinism.  As you can see, most of what we post is minutiae but it is comforting to know that other people go through the same things we do.  We'll love to hear how your team is doing and all about your adventures.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• fhamwey Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2008
    1,434. Jan 15, 2011 4:15 PM (in response to Donna914)

Oooh - I am so excited that I found this site.  I have been running for a few years now.  I started 3 years ago with about 60 pounds to lose.  I did my first 5K in June 2008, my first 10K in October 2008 and then my First 1/2 marathon.  Since then I have done 6 half marathons.  All very slow, just under 3 hours.  My problem is that I got very sick after my last one in October of this year and haven't really run since.  I am excited to get back into it but all my running partners have pretty much moved on.  They were all close to 20 years younger than I am and of course as they progressed they got faster and I actually don't have the need to go faster.  I have no problem running alone, actually, I like it, but what I am lacking is support.  I came on to active.com just to find a race I saw advertised that is coming up in Feb and I saw this site.  I am going to bookmark it and hopefully it will get me motivated to get back into running.  Thanks for being here for me!

• Selby Carolyn Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 17, 2009
    1,435. Jan 15, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to fhamwey)

Same story here.  Running for about 3 years.  I am 53 soon to be 54 and run a 1/2 marathon in about 3hours 10 minutes.  I need motivation as I just signed up for the Louisville Triple Crown race.   Help!!!!

Carolyn

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    1,436. Jan 15, 2011 4:31 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hey guys!

Sorry I havent been around much lately. 2 weeks ago I started garduate school again, and this has just thrown my world into a tailspin.

I have been still dealing with problems with blisters and foot pain ... I bought new shoes and new insoles and that actually caused more pain across the top of my foot. So for the purposes of the upcoming race, I am going with the old shoes and the new insoles and just moleskinning the heck out of my foot.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for my last long run before the half ... 14 miles. My friend and running partner is injured and cannot run the whole distance so I am on my own for 7 of it and she will have her husband drop her off in the middle of no where and finish the last 7 miles with me, which is very encouraging. Its too bad the weather cant be more encouraging, it is supposed to be record cold tomorrow.... about 10 degrees at the time of the run, with a high of 16 degrees ... guess I better bundle up!

FunRunSue: If you are still around, I am doing Seroogys in a couple of weeks and also I just signed up for the Cellcom half marathon.

RunningAngel: Glad to hear you are hanging in there with c25K... you are doing such a great job!

Welcome to all the new people, this group rocks!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,437. Jan 15, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

I ran 7 miles in the snow today.  Every day it snows and the shoveling is bad around here.  I have been wearing the new YakTraks and after 2 weeks they are still good.  I think the trick is to get them bigger then you need.  I take a small and I got a large.  I haven't been able to run more then 8 miles due to the snow and the yaktraks.  My knees are having a hard time.  I am planning on running more days to get my over all miles in I atleast want to run 25 a week. When the snow goes I can start running 10+ miles on the weekend and get back in shape for the half marathon in March and then decide if my knees will hold up for a full in the fall.  I'm hoping to get 3-4 miles in tomorrow to round out my miles for the week.  If I run 2 miles I will be at 35 for the week so I will start there and see how it goes.  Happy running!

• quidna Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011
    1,438. Jan 15, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to Donna914)

newborn penguin dropping in, as a kid i used to be a good runner, fast too but i grew out of that pretty fast also. Am still doing c25k, am up to week 7 and have slooowed right down, started out at 8.5kph and dropped to 6.5kph now that the interval runs are done with. I don't mind too much though, i figure lasting longer is better then burning out anyway, i do have a four year old to chase after the rest of the day anyway, can't sit on my bum all day recovering so i am happy plodding along on my treadmill at a pace where i can still watch and talk to the kid my goal is to run outside one day, preferably beach running i used to love it, but right now i am in the mountains where every day seems to rain

• fhamwey Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2008
    1,439. Jan 15, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to Donna914)

Carolyn,  I am 50 and did the San Diego triple crown last year.  It was fun and a great challenge and motivator.  In order to qualify for our triple crown you have to finish in under 3 hours.  That put so much stress on me for all 3 races but I did do it, barely but doing it is what counts.  Our races fill up so fast that in Oct when I thought I might do it again, I tried to sign up and it was too late.  One of the races was already full!  Good luck with it.  When are the races?

1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...