Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1510 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 12:52 PM by retiredgirl61 RSS
camm1212 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2011 1:00 PM

pain on inside of foot?

Hi! I'm a new runner (well, have been starting and stopping running for about the last year) training for the Cupid's Chase 5k in Mesilla, NM on 2/12. I recently got a new pair of Asics, and have been having a large amount of foot pain when I run, mainly concentrated on the inside of my foot. It actually hurts the most right when I stop running and transition to walking. I was measure for these shoes at the store, but the employee was kinda new. I'm not sure if this problem has something to do with my stride, or with my shoe? It gets a bit better when I loosen the laces, but I'd have to run with the shoes almost flapping off to avoid this problem. Anyone have any insight? Thanks so much!

Carrie

• aRUNTiwari Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2011
    2. Jan 21, 2011 12:33 PM (in response to camm1212)
    Re: pain on inside of foot?

Hey man,

I am not an expert on this but its sounds like you started to have more pain after you got these pair of shoes. I would recommend to not to ignore this pain and go a running store and have'em check your shoes. If you are an over/under pronator and are wearing wrong shoes it will hurt you real bad and sooner then later the pain will start to radiate to different parts of the body. trust me I am going through this problem. I also suggest to go to multiple running  stores so you would know what everyone is recommending coz if they are measure you right they all will recommend the same kind of shoes and then it will be up to you to decide which shoe fits the best.

Also try to do some basic warmup and cool down excercises pre and post run.

hope this helps

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    3. Jan 21, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to camm1212)
    Re: pain on inside of foot?

Yeah, I'd take the shoes back, too.  I have the same problem on my right foot only -- the only thing I have found that works is orthotics because I pronate like crazy on both feet.  With orthotics, some shoes still give me problems and I can't always tell in the store.  However, I know right away if I run on them and you can't put up with that. Stretching helps a little, but it sounds like you need a different shoe -- otherwise eventually you'll get so you can't even walk.  I find a brand that works and try to stick with it -- right now I'm pretty  happy with Brooks, but there are others, too.  Good luck!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points