Skip navigation

1761 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 7:48 PM by Canadiansailor339 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2011 10:21 AM

Nookachamps 1/2 Marathon, 10K, & 5K Reviews

Share your experiences with the Nookachamps 1/2 Marathon, 10K, & 5K below Back to event details page.

• cbullington Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. Jan 16, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Nookachamps 1/2 Marathon, 10K, & 5K Reviews

Hi there, I really liked this event! it was nice and for most part flat, with some hills to challenge you through the run. I enjoyed doing it and it is nice to have it so early in the year. The finish line food was good too. The Chilly was a very good choice as meal. There was plenty for everyone and I don't think anyone left hungry.

The only suggestion I have is to make the start time for the 1/2 a little ealier... maybe 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. I know is dark out there, but 10:00 a.m seemed a little late. Just a thought, not really a big deal. I am not a local and spent part of the afternoon shopping and leaving some extra dollars to help with the local economy.

• Bodyworks Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    2. Jan 16, 2011 11:20 AM (in response to Guest )

Nice event, small and not expensive. The only suggestion I would make is the food at the end!! Add apples, juice, bananas, get rid of the cookies, crackers, etc..and, the muffins. I know these show up at every run, they are cheap Costco food but Peanut Butter and Bagels would work better. Besides for that, I appriciate the later start, we come over from Port Angeles!

• JenniferAneJHernandez Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    3. Jan 16, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to Guest )

It was my first race! I ran the 5k in 33 minutes. I absolutely loved it. I think I am hooked now. After running in it, I am motivated to train for a 10k now. I had fun, the weather worked out perfectly for me, no rain and no snow more importantly. The staff for the race was nice and the bread and orange slices helped me a lot after the run. Hopefully next year I will be ready to run in the half marathon!

• Wozmaz Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2010
    4. Jan 16, 2011 5:54 PM (in response to Guest )

Loved this Event! The route was beautiful, with rolling hills and flat farm land.  The entry fee was not to expensive for the half marathon, and it was well organized.  The hot chili at the end was what topped it off for me.  I will definitely be doing this race next year.

• nbob Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 10, 2008
    5. Jan 16, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to Guest )

The course and race itself were perfect.Nice day and all that... I realize that it was a budget race, but having no water handed to me at the end was odd. The food was definitely lacking as well, no large amounts of fruit or anything tasty. But water, water water, perhaps charge 5 dollars more next year and buy a bunch.

• nbob Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 10, 2008
    6. Jan 16, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to Guest )

The course and race itself were perfect.Nice day and all that... I realize that it was a budget race, but having no water handed to me at the end was odd. The food was definitely lacking as well, no large amounts of fruit or anything tasty. But water, water water, perhaps charge 5 dollars more next year and buy a bunch.

• Josh Narode Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    7. Jan 16, 2011 11:04 PM (in response to Guest )

All in all I thought this was a solid race. Given that it is run in January through a fairly rural area, it's not overly scenic. The local farms don't make it the best smelling race you'll ever run. It was nice that the race planners had a gym at their disposal, but additional porta-potties would have been appreciated. I thought the food was great - the chili really hit the spot after running 13 miles. They could lose the finishing medals. They were rather cheap and I don't think too many people look for a medal after running a half-marathon. The timing of this race is good for those folks looking to prepare for a spring marathon. There don't seem to be too many half-marathons available this time of year. That might be its biggest selling point.

• Lynda Wacht Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    8. Jan 17, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to Guest )

This is a small, inexpensive race, and is well put together.  There were aid stations, the course was well marked and rather scenic (I loved the "Let Ur Rip Tater Chip Dr" road sign!), and the sweatshirt is already among my favorite. 

Two comments: Please make the walkers feel more welcome. I really admired the group and cheered them at the start--but was the only one. 

And please please please emphasize safety.  There were two very angry drivers and multiple runners crossing the yellow line. I have had the unfortunate experience of being in three races where that combinations killed someone. Not worth it.  Some kind of race rules sent out with the registrationand possibly the threat of disqualification (beats death by car)would help this situation.

• gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    9. Jan 17, 2011 3:51 PM (in response to Guest )

I did the 5K race, and it was a fun one to do, especially since the weather cooperated. No confusion no where to go for the course, warm gym to go to before and after, good food afterward, and I love the sweatshirt. My only (minor) complaints are the lack of signs on campus directing us where to go (had to follow other people to figure out where to register and where the start was) and not marking the miles on the 5K--I realize that it's a relatively 'short' run, but for those of us without GPS watches, it would have been nice to know when I hit the miles along the way to gauge pace a little better. Would definitely do it again, though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• tamalammadingdong Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    10. Jan 17, 2011 6:37 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the walk. I usually run the 5k but had some knee surgery in December. The route was perfect, not to many hills. I will be there next year and ready to run.

• ethelmariekitching Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    11. Jan 17, 2011 9:33 PM (in response to Guest )

In the last year I've ran in 9 half marathons and 3 full marathons.  Some of the races have had thousands of runners and all of the hoopla that goes with it whereas other runs have been small-scale with less than a hundred runners.  The Nookachamps Run falls somewhere in between.

Positive:  The organizer's and volunteers are an enthusiastic and supportive group!  The half mile course features a few gentle hills and interesting scenery.  I especially enjoyed running through the little town of Clear Lake and seeing the old buildings.  The course is basically a loop so you don't see the same scenery twice and you don't have to worry about shuttles, etc.   I think its great that Nookachamps gives out finisher's medals to those that complete the half marathon.  While the medal may not be as fancy as some, it still looks nice - it'll be a nice addition to anyone's collection of medals.  Someone suggested not bothering with medals for half marathons but I know a lot of runners that don't do marathons.   Completing a half marathon is a big accomplishment for some so I hope they continue awarding medals next year.  While there wasn't a wide variety of food at the end of the race, the chili was nice and considering the race fee I felt I definitely got my money's worth.  I always try to bring a banana, bagel, extra water and/or juice with me to runs in case I don't find the food I need.

On the downside:  Registration for this race was allowed on race day and when the weather suddenly improved the race had a flood of last minute runners register.  Parking was limited and some people had to drive down the road to find parking.  Get to the race early enough to find a parking spot.   Also, the course was well-marked but when I neared the finish area it was difficult to tell where to go.  Fortunately there was enough people walking around (that had already finished) that were able to tell me where to turn at the college to get to the finish area.  

I hope the organizers are prepared for more people then they were this year.  I enjoyed this race and would like to run it again next year!

• Canadiansailor339 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    12. Jan 18, 2011 7:48 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race and the Experience was a great one!  I would love to do it again but I think I'll soon be in another area so I'll have to find a race there.  The 10K loop was a great challenge and the runners that were following the route were friendly and supporrtive.  Overall it was one of the funnest things I've done in a long time!!

Ryan "Finally got a siggy" T

Nookachamps 2011 10K - 1:15:31, 215th place out of 250

Whidbey Island 1/2 Marathon - 3:33:46, 1135th place out of 1141 people

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...