Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7792 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 8:11 PM by IrwinSnowBum 1 2 Previous Next
oreo speedwagon Rookie 9 posts since
Jun 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2010 6:15 AM

New to Trail Running and Need some advice

I have been running for several years.  I have completed 4 marathons and several 1/2 marathons. Over the past 6 months I have only been running about 3 times/week and my long right now is 6 miles.

I want to try trail running and their is a local 25K in March.  That seems like plenty of time to train.  What do you guys think?

Also, I haven't done any actual train running.  I do all my running on the road.  How much training do I need to do on trails?

One more thing.  What equipment do I need?  Do I really need trail shoes or can I just use my regular running shoes.

THANKS!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Nov 17, 2010 7:10 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)
    Re: New to Trail Running and Need some advice

I love trail running, and don't do enough of it.

The type of shoes you will want depends on the trail that you'll train on or race on.  If you are running on established, smooth and well-maintained trails you really don't need trail shoes.  This past year I've run in trail races this year where I've seen runners in "Mall Shoe Store" road trainers, Saucony Kinvaras, track spikes, Vibram Five Fingers, big, clunky boot-like footwear and everything in between.  In my opinion, most trail shoes are over built.  I'm not a barefoot or VFF runner, and am not ready to buy a pair of NB Minimus, but find that the big, clunky trail runners lift me too far off the ground (and I'm a big runner).  The current Running Times has short reviews of several trail running shoes in the current edition.  Regardless, try some on and see how they feel before you buy.

Trail running requires much more balance, lateral agility and leg strength than road running.  I do comparatively better in trail races than in road races because I bring really good balance and lateral agility, and moderately good strength, to the trail.  If the course is at all hilly, you might find trail running turns into trail hiking (or crawling, if really steep).  I still need to work on leg strength for steep uphills.  They continue to humble me.  Also, keep in mind that steep uphills are followed by steep downhills.  The only way to be prepared for that is to train on that.  I've not found many roads that are nearly as steep as some of the trails that I've run on.

So, put the stopwatch aside and hit the trails as soon as possible.  They actually are really pretty in the winter.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    2. Dec 28, 2010 11:41 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I'm also about to start some trail running. Thanks for this info Surfing_Vol!! I've got to get used to running in the cold...

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• 8892109 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Dec 28, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to Bimma)

• monstrous Rookie 23 posts since
    Sep 22, 2005
    4. Jan 16, 2011 9:08 PM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

I rarely run pavement. Trails from gravel to rock garden crazy all the time for me. You have to develop all the small supporting muscles that may not get used so much on road where the footing is stable, so train off road. I would find a dedicated trail shoe that will give the grip you need for the conditions you will run. I have tried a few different kinds and am having good luck with the Brooks Cascadia, great in snow, mud, snotty rocks, and even the odd road marathon. My last 50 miler I didn't change shoes, they where great the whole way. You may hate them though so find what works for you, but serious singletrack is more fun in a dedicated trail shoe.

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    5. Feb 9, 2011 3:34 PM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

I would suggest looking at Inov-8's trail shoes.  I agree that most companies build a huge bulky trail shoe which can really feel awkward for someone who has stuck to the road.  Inov-8's shoes are more of a minimalistic style and their heaviest shoe is lighter than most road companies lightest shoe.  I would suggest their f lite 230 if you like a minmalist shoe, or their roc lite 295 if you prefer a little more cushion.  Good luck and happy running!

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• Clayviation Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 22, 2011
    6. Mar 10, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

Trail running is where I feel most at home, and I recently found a good new trail near where I live.  I run in Vibram Bikilas and just recently ran 8.4 miles on the trail with them on.  I crossed varied terrain from nice flat dirt to dirt with rocks scattered to heavy gravel, mountain road style.  I felt very comfortable with how my body adapted to the changing environment, and compared to when I used to runs trails in bulkier shoes, I like to think that there are times when I might have sprained my ankle otherwise, but thanks to having the VFFs that allow me to respond to the trail, I was able to rock on.  I suggest finding the shoe that works for you, but like others have said, I don't think that a bulky, heavily protected trail shoe is necessary for success.

• Dustin Thomas Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    7. Apr 5, 2011 4:05 PM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

I am fairly new to trail running as well.  I've found that the time goes by so much faster and my runs are much more enjoyable.  It is like the difference between the treadmill and the road - just another step in the right direction.  I have a pair of Salomon trail running shoes that seem to work fine for me, although I started running trails in my "normal" Asics.  I rarely go for more than 8 miles, but I'd probably look for something a little lighter if I did.

http://www.hungry4adventure.com

• Gray83 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    8. Apr 18, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

As far as shoes, I personally use La Sportiva Wildcat gtx, but I know several people that like the Inov-8's.

Here is what I have learned by doing a few 50k's, hoping to get a 50miler under my belt this yr.

- If you feel that you are running to fast then you are. Don't try to keep the same pace as you would on a road run.

- Run at your pace and let the people that are great climbers go, if not you will wear your legs out and possibly not be able to finish.

- If you cant see the top of the hill, WALK IT, there is no shame in it and your thighs will thank you later on in the run.

- When navigating technical sections, slow down a little, and really pay attention. One false step could cost you a finish. I personally jump on top of logs/trees/rock/etc that I cant see the ground on the other side of instead of leaping over them. The reasoning behind this is, I don't know what the  footing looks like, if there are rocks or the ground is wet/uneven I can easily spring off the log/rock and clear the rough spots. If I jump over the log/rocks I have no choice but to land on the other side and hope for the best. Try your own method on this and see what works best for you. It uses a little more energy but could possible keep from rolling an ankle.

- Dont trust that the object you are about to step on will stay there, Some people I run with have dubbed these....hook,s#%t, rocks (Max) since they move on you or are hiding under leaves.

- Enjoy yourself, trail running can be very peaceful if you take in the scenery. Plus it makes the miles seem less painful.

Good Luck!

Gray

• vanessaruns1 Expert 40 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    9. May 26, 2011 8:22 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

Trail running is addictive! I'm absolutely in love with it.

I find that when running trails, the more minimal the better for me. I started running trails in VFFs, and I'm now running them barefoot. For me, it all comes down to the body mind connection and feeling the earth between my toes

All the best!

Vanessa Rodriguez

www.vanessaruns.com

vanessaruns@gmail.com

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    10. Jul 7, 2011 8:17 PM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

I'm also new to trail running so was glad to see this thread. I just recently ran  my first road marathon and am getting ready for my first ultra marathon up Bald Eagle mountain in Pa. Talked in to it by my 30 year old nephew and four others all the same age. Being over 50 this should prove interesting. Some of the advise on this post should really be helpful. While training I can see why people enjoy it so much. I've seen some beautiful scenery but have to say how much harder it is. I think I'm as tired at the end of 10 miles as I was at 20 on the road. I tryed running in my road shoes and found my feet sore. Bought myself a pair of Patagonia. Great shoes! Good ankle support and feel good the whole run. Oct. coming soon. Hope I can report I finish with no broken bones. The plan is run easy and enjoy every step.

• texsurfmonkey Pro 125 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    11. Jul 17, 2011 6:08 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

I am running a night trail run in San Antonio next Friday. I purchased a pair of Brooks Cascadia 6. This is the first trail run I have ever done. Anybody have any experience with these shoes? It is a 10K, so I don't have a great distance, but enough to want to be reasonably comfortable and have some traction to get me through this run. I will be sporting a pair of gloves, LOL

9/11/2010 Habitat for Humanity 5K 41.18

10/10/10 10-10-10 10K 1:27:12

10/30/2010 Fit For Life 5K 37.07.50

11/06/2010 Kick for Kenya 10K 1:17:12

01/01/2011 New Years Day 5K 34.22

01/08/2011 Monohans Sandhills 5K 34:38

02/06/2011 Surf City USA 1/2 Marathon 3:00:39

02/12/2011 Cupids Run 5K 34:13

3/26/2011 Bloodgusher 5K 37.11

4/9/2011 Run From The Cops 10K 1:18:21.80

4/30/2011 South Padre Island Sand Crab 10K 1:20:24 Night run on the beach!!

5/21/2011 Running Feet For Helping Hands 5 Mile (63.35)

7/22/2011 San Antonio Chupacabra 10K (night run, trail run)

7/30/2011 Tall City Triathlon 2:00:23.7 (swim 15:13.4) (bike 56.09)(5K 45:00.9)

9/10/2011 Comanche Warrior Triathlon

10/01/2011 Crossroads HM, Odessa, Texas (gonna shoot for a 2:35:00)

02/05/2012 - Surf City HM 2:53:02

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Penguins-Lambs-and-Bears-oh-my/152835968118339

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    12. Oct 9, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to oreo speedwagon)

Thank you so much for this question! 

I have a trail race, my first, coming up in December. I won an entry and now that I have my "A" race out of the way, I want to concentrate these next months on just building on my base training and working with trails, gravel roads, etc. 

Surfing_Vol and Gray83, thanks for your insight. Greatly appreciated.

I actually should say, this will be my first trail foot race. I did attempt a snowshoe run a few years ago and finished next to last since I wasn't willing to leave the chick wearing a white shirt wondering around in the white snow. She was def. out of her element.  I had a lot of fun in that.

I tend to look around and space out of my running when doing long runs, so I think this trail running will be good for me.

Any insight on what types of cross-training to help? kettle bells? running tires? etc. . .

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• Pithy-Doug Rookie 3 posts since
    May 26, 2012
    13. Oct 9, 2012 8:52 PM (in response to Leadville Fan)

Don't space out to often while running on the trails - you may end up with a face plant. Look up..your go down.. unless you're on a smooth rail bed or carriage road.  learn to keep one eye on the terrain and the other on the trees or ladies in white.

As for snow shoeing  with the lass in white  - the trail will always be there...she may not. Strike while the iron is hot.

There isn't one magic pill for cross-training. You can bike, hike mountains, snow shoe or cross-country ski(in winter) .

If you mean builing your core rather than cross-training, There is oodles of stuff out there.

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    14. Oct 18, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to Pithy-Doug)

Thank you. I think I space out on road areas and paved trails because I like to look at the scenery, but I don't think I'd be able to do that too much when trail running for fear of the plant named face. 

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...