Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5536 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 10:59 AM by chuntley RSS
camm1212 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2011 2:33 PM

pain on inside of foot while running?

Hi! I posted this question a few days ago over at the Newbie forum, but have gotten NO responses, so I thought I would try over here. I'm a new runner (well, have been starting and stopping running for about the last year) training for the Cupid's Chase 5k in Mesilla, NM on 2/12. I recently got a new pair of Asics, and have been having a large amount of foot pain when I run, mainly concentrated on the inside of my foot. It actually hurts the most right when I stop running and transition to walking. I was measured for these shoes at the store, but the employee was kinda new. I'm not sure if this problem has something to do with my stride, or with my shoe? It gets a bit better when I loosen the laces, but I'd have to run with the shoes almost flapping off to avoid this problem. Anyone have any insight? Thanks so much!

Carrie

• chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    1. Jan 20, 2011 3:39 PM (in response to camm1212)
    Re: pain on inside of foot while running?

You should try massaging and stretching your calves after each run. Several pretty important muscles in your calves attach to your toes right through your ankle/arch. So, when your calves get tired your foot arch will start to hurt. It may even start to swell a little, making your shoes feel too tight.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 20, 2011 5:01 PM (in response to camm1212)

What do you consider the "inside of foot"?  What kind of pain - burning, sharp, ache?  Does it continue to hurt at other times?  I have heard several people complain of pain/blisters from the medial (toward the other foot) edge of the insole at the arch on some Asics shoes.  If that is the case, return the shoes to the store if possible and get something else.  Alternatively, judicious trimming of the edge of the insole may fix the problem.

Len

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,150 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Jan 20, 2011 8:39 PM (in response to camm1212)

The above posts are very helpful. To expand on these, it is true there  are ways to condition yourself for the considerable physiological  stresses of running. As a general rule, however, if you change your equipment, running style, or running surface, and things start hurting,  change them back right away. Also, try to introduce changes gradually  and incrementally so the problems are easier to troubleshoot.

For a  change of shoe, it is often recommended that you continue using your old  shoes while slowly spending more time in the new ones, starting by  wearing them around in your home, so you can find the most obvious  problems and return them before they get all scuffed up. Chances are,  they will work fine on somebody else's feet. In this case, your arch may  not be high enough for the new shoe. When you take them back, have them check both arches to see if one or both are low. If this is the case, they can guide you to a more appropriate shoe. There are also ways to deal with the arch problem if it exists, but that is a story for another day.

• sue_PT Amateur 6 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008
    4. Jan 21, 2011 4:02 AM (in response to camm1212)

Cam1212,

I used to run exclusively in ASICS for 12 years (GT-series stability shoe for pronators), but ASICS made some changes in their shoes, and quality seemed to go down with the fit.  Maybe you didn't get fit with the right kind of shoe.  Things to consider:  1) are you a pronator? did you get a stability shoe?  arch pain could be from not having enough support to control over-pronation.  The shoe could be too soft, allowing your arch to collapse at foot strike.  This stresses the plantar fascia and ligaments that support the arch.  Make sure you are in the right shoe for your foot type first.  2) you mentioned having to loosen the laces.  Is the shoe wide enough for you? You may have a wide forefoot and need more space in the front of the shoe (toe box area), or you may have a high instep and need more room at the top of your foot.  Different shoe brands size their shoes differently--larger toe box, wider heel, narrower in the shoe last, etc.  Maybe ASICS is not the right brand fit for you. There are also some different lacing patterns that might help improve the fit of your shoes.  Try this link for more info.  Good luck on your running and don't give up:  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

Jun 22, 2009
    8. Jan 21, 2011 8:28 AM (in response to camm1212)

Shoes matter of course. Transition gradually if you can. It's not just that the new shoes might not fit correctly, but that your body is used to your current shoes. I usually keep three pairs of shoes in the rotation: an older pair (350+ miles) that I wear on when the weather sucks, a newer pair (100+ miles) that I wear most days, and a brand new pair that I break in slowly with no more than a few miles per week. I've also been known to wear the new shoes on the treadmill for a while so that if something goes wrong I can stop quickly and not have to walk home. Only wearing them inside also helps with returns.

If the problem turns out to be early stage plantar fasciitis or posterior tibial tendonitis, then paying attention to your calves now may save you a lot of trouble later. It can also make it easier to buy shoes if your muscles are in better shape. My right foot actually got a little skinnier (with a higher arch) when I started doing calf raises a few times per week. I could finally fit a D width in some models after many years having to always buy at least EE.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,150 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    9. Jan 21, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to chuntley)

Congrats, Chuntley, on rehabbing your arch. More evidence we are not stuck with our bodies the way they are forever, if we have the patience and perseverance to change them.

Good luck Camm with your running. This is just a temporary setback, and I am confident you will live to fight another day!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Jan 21, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to chuntley)

Chuntley's comment about strengthening the muscles in your feet and legs is a good one.  That will give you a better foundation.

Shoes:  I got my philosophy from a comment by a long-time shoe salesman.  The shoes should be pretty comfortable right out of the box.  Put on the shoes, both of them, and jog a little around the store.  If they annoy you then, you're unlikely ever to be happy with them.  Try on something else - different brand, different model, whatever.  This has worked well for me for many years with both running and street shoes.  Sometimes just a change in size will do the trick.  I bought some hiking boots.  The 10 was cramped, the 11 just didn't feel right.  They ordered in a pair of 10.5 and they were perfect.  You still may get them home and find they cause pains at 4 or 5 miles.  Some things can be fixed, some mean getting different shoes.  I had one pair with a seam that just hit my little toe wrong on one foot. I fixed that by putting moleskin over the seam.  A general ache in the arch probably means trying other shoes.

Len

Len

Jun 22, 2009
    11. Jan 21, 2011 10:59 AM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)

Now that the arch is rehabbed, I'm working on my vastus lateralis, which has a couple of nasty aches whenever I sit for too long. I've also been known to get ITBS on that side. I found what I think is a trigger point about halfway along the muscle and toward the posterior. I've been digging in with my knuckles so far ... It's always something.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points