Skip navigation

2139 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2011 10:31 AM by WendyMader RSS
steve07 Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 6, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2008 5:51 PM

heart rate training

Hi I am new to triathlons being only my second year. Last year I completed two sprints and it went pretty well considering finishing was the goal. I am hooked and have signed up for two more sprints and an olympic distance event this year. I have been reading alot about heart rate zones and recently bought a monitor. Unfortunatley here lies the problem. my information from reading says to train 65% to 70% of mhr while base training for endurance to achieve this rate I can go no faster than a fast walk. After taking a couple months off I've been training 5 to 6 days a week on my run days I will do 3 to 5 miles but my rate is up about 175 and the heart rate tests say my max is 180 any suggestions       while running at a heart rate of 175 i can still carry one sentence conversations

• Gottavtr Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    1. Mar 5, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to steve07)
    Re: heart rate training

If you are working towards a goal with a specific training plan then do not go by the run of the mill max heart rate calculations.  I am 30 and my max is 183, I train with a 45 year old and his max is 200+.  If you think you can take a couple of sprints and are in decent running shape then go to a track, warm up for a couple of miles then do a strong 400 or two then do the next 400 like this: Start very strong for 100m then build to a all out sprint over the next 100m and then hold it (and hold back the puke) for the next 200 meters.  You may not finish but make yourself say that you can't take another stride three times before you even think about lowering the intensity.  Hopefully you can download your heart rate after the workout. If not then look at your rate over this last 100 meters. you should see it climb then plateau.  This is your max.  Use it in the calculations.  If you did not see the plateau then warm down and do it again when fully recovered a few days later.  All that said a fast walk may be the zone you want to be in though.

Zach

• WendyMader Pro 26 posts since
    Jun 17, 2008
    2. Jan 22, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to Gottavtr)
    Re: heart rate training

I recommend doing a fitness test either follwoing treadmill or running a 5k to calculate your average heart rate. AHR is typically your zone 4 heart rate and base on that number you can calculate zones 1-5. Field tests to determine your training zones are more accurate then the equation, heart rate max and reserve calculation formulas

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points