Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8252 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2011 7:17 AM by JAT1986 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • JAT1986 Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 20, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to Damon28348)
    Re: Starting the C25K 1.17.11

Morning! Today is W1D2...was supposed to do it before work, but couldn't pull myself outta bed so i'll be doing it after work! Still struggling with the eating, but hoping to get a handle on it asap!  Have a great day!

Azalea Trail Run 5k 50:52

Seafood Fest 5k 9/25 51:41

Azalea trail run 5k 3/26/11

Kaiser coastal half marathon 11/26/11

• Miriya Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 1, 2010
    31. Jan 20, 2011 8:06 AM (in response to BelleElla)

I didn't specifically do the prescribed workout yesterday, but I ended up walking everywhere, jogging at a bunch of points lest I.... not get to my daughter's daycare on time for pickup, for example. I went rollerblading on Tuesday. All in all, I am sore today!

• Sharon Palazzolo Rookie 6 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    33. Jan 20, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to Damon28348)

Damon28348 the program is the "Couch to 5 K" running program for beginners. It is a 9 week program designed to get us off the couch and on our feet. We are all trying to get going this is our first or second weeks on the program. You can find it by googling C25K or couch to 5 k.

• Sharon Palazzolo Rookie 6 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    34. Jan 20, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to BelleElla)

June -  keep trying, I am also a morning person but my job and school don’t really allow for a work out so I find myself going when I wouldn’t normally go (work 40+ hours and school 4 nights). I struggle with the same eating issues, as a matter of fact I just gave away half of a cookie I was eating. I have to always remind myself to break old habits to give up some of my favorite things. I need to make fruits and veggies my snack of choice. I once heard it takes 21 days to make a habit.

Gradrunner11 – way to go, one week down. Keep up the good work.

Miriya -  I used to love to roller blade. The Pontiac Silverdome (Michigan)  used to open up for us to rollerblade years ago. Maybe when spring comes I will try that again. At least you are moving my motto these days is “move more, eat less”.

BelleElla – I agree more stretching is needed. Look forward to hearing how you did.

W!D2 tonight, looking forward to it. My new mind stratagy is to keep my mind on the end result instead of the fact that it is late and i just got out of class , the old me would let the latter win. Not anymore.

• aprildoesrunning Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011
    35. Jan 20, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to BelleElla)

Jessica,

I too started the C25K program Monday, January 17!

Here's my story in the shortest form possible:  I have never been athletic. I have always been at least slightly overweight. I have flat feet and big ***** and I hate running and any form of exercise really. However, I want to look better, I want to feel better, and I want to call mself a runner! After reading a friend of a friend's blog (check out bendoeslife.com), he inspired me to get off my butt. I am starting out at 177 and am 5'7".  He was 350+ and ran 8 minutes his first time without stopping. I figured if he could do it, then I could too!

I cannot tell you how many times I have started and quit diets and exercise programs; bought workout clothes, dvds, equipment, and food. All I got out of those was a big hole in my bank account. I was/am very frustrated and mad at myself, but I am also resilient and ready to begin...again.

One of Ben's first rules of committing to a plan is to tell others so that you will keep yourself accountable. That is the scariest part to me. I feel almost like the boy who cried wolf. I have started these kinds of things so many times that people aren't really even interested anymore. So, I logged on here to get tips and read articles and found you. I figure I can be accountable to you all for a while and see what happens. After that, maybe others close to me will start getting excited for me again.

I did W1D1 Monday, and finished it. It was tough, I admit. I had just come off a 10 day stretch of bronchitis and it was really cold.  I even had to sit down a couple of times, but I was determined to finish. I couldn't make myself do it Tuesday or Wednesday. I HAVE to do it today. I have no other choice. That's just the way it is. Thank you guys for your tips and for sharing your stories.  I look forward to sharing this journey!

-April

aprildoesrunning goals:

* finish C25K program

* -25 lbs by may 2 (birthday)

* little rock marathon 5k in march

* Fit into size 8 by end of weight loss goals

Start: 1/17/2007

weight: 177

size: 12

waist: 33

• Damon28348 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011
    36. Jan 20, 2011 6:47 PM (in response to Sharon Palazzolo)

Thanks Sharon i'm going to try to help my wife get into this program this would be good for her. I run a pretty good distant already but i can't maintain speed is this program good for gaining and maintaining speed? I'm talking from your experience doing it.

Jan 22, 2010
    37. Jan 22, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to Sharon Palazzolo)

Hey guys!  Haven't posted in a couple days.  About to head out and do W1D3!!!  Is everyone looking forwards to W2?? I am.  Thanks Bella and Sharon for sharing your struggles with eating.  I heard the same that it takes 21 days to break a habit...i personally think it takes a little longer than that....especially if you've been eating wrong for years, but you have to start somewhere right?  Well i hope you all have a great and safe weekend.  My next run is monday, but i may pop back in before then. ttys

• Kyle Drum Amateur 82 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    38. Jan 22, 2011 11:13 AM (in response to BelleElla)

Can you guys take on one more training partner?  I am beginning C25K today and I am looking for an active thread to run with.

• Kyle Drum Amateur 82 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    39. Jan 22, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to BelleElla)

Just put W1D1 under my belt.  Felt great.  In fact, I felt like I could have pushed harder, but I have learned my lesson with that.  Patience.......  I do not want another injury!

• atigyrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2011
    40. Jan 22, 2011 2:55 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hey Kyle.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind.  Who wouldn't want to let others get healthy with them.  I say, "The more the merrier the healthier."  Here's to a new healthy you.  I just completed W1D3 and it was sooo sunny and hot outside!  The first two days, I ran at night.  My kids take judo and wrestling and I wanted to do something active during that time since they'd be in class for two hours.  A close friend of mine told me about C25K and I LOVE IT!  The app- coupled with my motivational playlists- keep me motivated.  I abhor running, but I'd like to fall deeply in love with it.  Good luck to all of you!

• Lisa46225 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 1, 2010
    41. Jan 22, 2011 4:16 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Myself and tho friends just completed W1D1 right there with you Kyle! I have started the program 3 different times last year and the farthest I made it was to w5d1, and had to stop for various reasons. Recommitted today and it feels GREAT!!!! Keep up the good work!

• MizT Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011
    42. Jan 23, 2011 2:29 AM (in response to BelleElla)

Hello.  I've not managed to get on the forum much this week but this moring I've just been reading back your posts and you are all doing incredibly well.  I've just completed my 20 min run and I feel great.  When I think back at how that first minute was a struggle I can't beleive I can jog for 20 mins straight.

My tip if you are struggling with your run. SLOW DOWN.  Remember it's not a race to the end.

good luck everyone.

Small steps lead to great things.
    Walk before you jog, jog before you run, once you can run you are free.
    P1030169a.JPG
    Jan 22, 2010
    43. Feb 1, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to MizT)

Hey guys! I wasn't on here at all last week and i didn't start week 2 last week either I just wasn't feeling it and instead of running anyways i slept in a lot. Instead of redoing week one this week i'm just going to continue on with week 2 today!  I'm going to try and post more....at least on the days i'm supposed to run   Have a great day!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...