Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4033 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2011 4:54 AM by DadtoTwins
BethanyWylie Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 15, 2011 8:10 PM

I am a Newbie runner, walking on treadmill ready to run, just stating out any advice?

I am walking on a treamill and wanting to do a 5K in 4 months. At this time I am walking, but not running. Any advise is great. What do you suggest?

• EricaJo08 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I just started it today but it is simple enough... even for someone very out of shape!

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010

I recommend the C25K (Couch to 5K), too.  You might like to take a look at the "Calling all Penguins" thread -- there's lots of success stories there with people who have used the C25K to transition.  Have fun!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• quidna Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011

i also treadmil my way around and as the others have said C25K rocks when it comes to stepping it up, a thing i will tell you though is tha keep the speeds at what you find doable...when I first looked at the program i saw that it required me to run at 10kph...no way man, seriously, i nearly quit upon reading, but then i decided to just run by time, i started doing my run stint at 8.5kph, now i go 6.5 kph BUT i can run 25 mins withough walking. Slowing down was very hard to do but it is alot better to slow down then to quit. I hope i don't sound like a downer or anything but i am just trying to say you can do it if you go at your pace, not what someone else says you should run at ....goodluck

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

quidna wrote:

...when I first looked at the program i saw that it required me to run at 10kph...

Remember, the goal of C25K is to run 5K OR 30 minutes.  It does not expect you to run 5K in 30 minutes (10kph or 6.2mph or 9:40 minutes per mile).  You probably won't be able to keep up that pace, particularly at the beginning.  Run at a pace that lets you talk, out loud, in short sentences.

Len

Len

• quidna Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011

good catch i meant to say "i thought i had to run at 10kph"

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010

Sorting yourself out with a decent couch to 5k program would be a great way of helping you make the step up to running from walking.

Other then that I would suggest that you enter a 5km race and either run with some friends or join a running club as that way you have something to aim for and wont be bored or loose motivation along the way!

Goals:
    Sub 39min 10k
    Latest Blog - Asics Kinsei 3 Review
  • MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010

One additional piece of advice, if you are planning to do a 5K or any race, is to also do some outside running.  Those who do only treadmill workouts have found that running outside is vastly different for a lot of reasons.  It is true that the treadmill is "easier" in that it is softer on your joints, etc.  So, I recommend that you do a lot of outside running, as well, to prepare you for that.  Otherwise, don't over train, follow the program, don't increase speed or distance by more than 10% a week, listen to your body, and HAVE LOTS OF FUN!   Make sure to enjoy the journey! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• Joan the pt Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010

Hi,

I am good on a treadmill, and can walk forever. I have a mental block about jogging outside. I find it very hard to do. So I am going to buy an Ipod so that I can download the C25k audio prompt that tells me when to walk and when to jog. Hopefully that will get me over the hump so that I can do some running in the 5-K I have signed up for in Feb, the day before my 59thbirthday (LOL). Of course the training is supposed to be like 9 weeks and I am only on week 4. (LOLx2) So look into the Couch to 5K training program to help transition from walking to jogging.

Good luck to you. YOu will do well.

joanthept

• Denise748 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am confused bout what I need to purchase.  I have an ipod touch so I am going to download the app to use during my runs.  Do I also need to purchase the online program 5K for $5.00 or the C25K for $19.99?    Any input would be great!  Denise

• MizT Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011

I'm on my second go at the C25K programme.  I'm also running it on the treadmill at the moment.  Only because it is -4 here yesterday and I don't like to run outside on ice and the cold affects my breathing.  Once I'm up to speed again and running 20/25 mins I'll then take it outside and do some intervals. Especially when the weather is better.  I hope to be fit enough to run outside come the spring in March/April.

Outside running is harder as you have to push your body along the road, on the treadmill the road is moving for you.  The treadmill is great for time and running at a constant speed.  I too have gone from 7.5 to 7 and recently just lowered it to 6.7 in order to complete the 20 min run of week 5 day 3.  However, I did 5x3min intervals yesterday at 7kmph just to keep myself running at the higher speed now and again.  I'm on to week 6 day 1 tomorrow and that will be at 6.7.  I am only 5'2" and over 40 so don't want to push myself too much at the moment.

Once I've completed the C25K I'll up the incline on my treadmill to 1% then 2% which represents road running better.

As for the programme, Denise - I have not paid for anything I follow the programme on the Cool Running website and run the times not the distances.

Good luck

Small steps lead to great things.
    Walk before you jog, jog before you run, once you can run you are free.
    P1030169a.JPG
  • DARNMIKE Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010

look, I agree you need to get outside, tredmill is nice but you really need to get outside.  you have a big goal, now set some smaller ones to help you get there.

I took my car and drove a mile..marked it off.  then that was my walk,  a mile out and a mile back.  walk it.. and I would get a stop watch. and keep track of your times.

after awile you will want to run..  start mixing it up..  do a little running and then walk..  you will see improvements. then before you know it you will be running the two miles just fine

then  increase you distance.....   you will do fine!    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!

10/23/10 anual lung health 5K Lake Land Fl  31.12 

11/13/10 Winter Haven Fl. 5K  30.19

11/20/10  Turkey Chase Bartow Fl. 5K 29.18

12/11/10  Leesburg Fl Mistletoe Trot 5K 29.34

1/8/11 LEESBURG  MLK   RUN     5K 29.23

1/22/11 - CITRUS CLASSIC, Winterhaven Hosp.  5K  28.28

2/19/11 - junior achievment   5K Bartow Fl.    28.13

3/5/11- POLK ART alliance5K  Bartow Fl.   28.20

3/19/11 LIGHTHOUSE 5K ST. AUGUSTINE FL.     30.19

4/9/11 Run For The Cure   10K   LakeLand Fl.   1.01.19

4/30/11 KIWANIS 5K     BARTOW FL      ( 27.34)  P.R.
  • Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010

Denise

I have an Ipod touch too, and downloaded several different running programs.  I have the C25K, as well as "Get Running".  It happens to be my favorite.  I don't remember what I paid, but it was not more than $4 or 5 if that much.  I like Get Running better because you get encouragement during the run like "Keep going, you only have 30 more seconds to run".  C25K doesn't have that, However it is a good program too.  Good luck with what you decide on.

Kristy in NC

• DadtoTwins Pro 55 posts since
    Mar 17, 2009

Denise,

If you have an ipod, you can get a free podcast in itunes called Podrunner: First Day to 5k. It is basically the same as C25K, but free. Just go to the itunes store and search for podrunner. It is a 10 week program. That is what I used. The music is great. There are little chimes that tell you when to speed up or slow down.

PR's

Run the Quay 5k, 6/4/11, 24:34

Tobacco Road Half Marathon 3/20/2011, 1:52:19

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points