Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1242 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2011 7:58 AM by doman0509
doman0509 Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2011 8:19 PM

Military Triathletes - How do you do it? OR ANYONE WITH EXTENDED BREAKS!?

I'm just seeing if there are any triathletes on here that may be active duty?  My question is (and actually this applies to anyone that has taken an extended break from any aspect of training) how do you deal with the huge break that comes from a deployment.  You may be able to run, or bike if you're lucky, but you certainly can't swim!  I'm just starting out, but I could possibly ship out in the next several months, after having just started up this new personal goal and hobby.  Is there a secret out there to recovering from prolonged breaks from swimming, etc.?

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone's having a great week!

• TriGuyCoaching Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010

I was on active duty not to long ago and competed in triathlons while I was active.

When on deployment, I was the odd one out cause I would wake up at 4am to workout or at midnight to workout and go back to bed.  I had seen alot already and didn't want to go out and party and just wanted to save money (was in the Navy btw) so I just made training a focus and had everyone else work around me.  I flew as well so my flights were well spaced to be able to workout, along with go to church and still enjoy the local scene.  Just not stressing it will help.  I didn't swim for 7 months (well I did once when we pulled into Bahrain) but all I did was crossfit/circuit training for my legs and alot of running.  I went on a 7month deployment, and then when I got back I had 1.5 months to get ready for a 70.3.  Made a PR in my run and still dominated in the swim (I was a rescue swimmer and was also a competitive swimmer form a young age of 6)

just ease back into it.  when you are out, focus alot of form, breathing, and technique.  The fundamentals is where you have the most gain to make. that way you can have 5+ momths of prep and base phases to get ready for the next race or next season. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...