Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777123 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,530. Jan 25, 2011 8:52 PM (in response to mimiisarunner)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Mimi:  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HA!

Way to go! Congrats. I love to watch the finish of these races. It is one of the most pure human experiences. To see the mix of emotions as people cross that line and the folks waving and cheering really is a demonstration that runners are a family. It is just amazing. There is a bond that connects all who cross the line no matter what the clock says.   When Bill Rogers was settting records running the marathon, he once said something like: "I have great admiration for all those who finish a marathon no matter the time. I don't think I could ever run for 4 and a half hours."

I don't know if there is a cut off between fast and slow, but I do know that there is a big gap between runners and potatoes, no matter the speed of the former or the size of the couch of the latter!

Good running

Jack

BTW, I have had numerous problems posting. Usually it is an error message telling me that I can't post a blank message after I have spent the better part of 20 minutes of more trying to get my thoughts down on paper.  Now I try and remember to save the text of my posts before hitting the Post Message button.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    1,531. Jan 26, 2011 10:59 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Ran a wonderful 4 miles in the fog down by the river this morning....actually had moments on the way back of "run forrest run" loved it...a good day! My reward was on the way back to my car saw a beautiful little doe and a huge flock of the biggest turkey's I've seen all year!

Happy running all and thanks L for the company this morning!!!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• onetrixie Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1,532. Jan 26, 2011 5:30 PM (in response to Scrufffy)
    I told one of the guys at work that I've been running 13 minute miles (recovering from an injury). He stuttered and stammered and finally offered up that most runners agree that 10 minute miles is the cutoff between "running" and "walking". I laughed so hard! Then I told him I guessed I better learn to walk faster.
  • Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,533. Jan 26, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Thanks Susan, it was a good run. I look forward to the 4 miles on 2/12. Lets do that penquin thing!!

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,534. Jan 26, 2011 6:19 PM (in response to onetrixie)

This is one of those things that really annoys me. Walking and running are determined buy gait. How fast do you think Olympic walkers walk??????

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    1,535. Jan 26, 2011 6:50 PM (in response to Donna914)

Onetrixie - great response to the co-worker.  I loved it.

Emmaleigh47 - you will be in my thoughts this weekend.  Have a great time.  I can't wait to hear how it went.

Still on my program for the HM at the end of February.  Got in my 9 miler on Sunday.  I felt pretty wasted for a couple of hours afterwards then bounced back.  Forgot my watch so don't know how long it took.  New fresh snow and ice so took quite a bit of work making sure I kept solid footing, even with the yak-traks.  My stabalizer muscels were letting me know about if for a little while.

Got 4 miles in today.  Almost 40 degrees but windy....boy does that slow me down.  Was able to jog the entire thing though and that's a first so was happy about that.  The hills on my current route are getting less intimidating too.  I have 5 miles tomorrow and am going to work to jog all of it too, that will be another first.  Sunday I have 10 miles so will be in the double digits.  WOW!  When I started this thing a little over 8 weeks ago I was operating completely on faith but couldn't really imagine that someday I'd say to my husband, "I ONLY have 4 miles today" or that I really would jog the better portion of 10 miles.  The human body is a pretty amazing organism.

Printed the early-registration form for the HM and am sending it in tomorrow.  Getting pretty excited about it.  Printed the map and route profile tonight too.  Might drive over there in the next week or two just to see it, even thought it is 2-3 hours away.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep posting.  Thanks again to all of you for the advice, encouragement, and inpsiration.

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,536. Jan 26, 2011 6:56 PM (in response to onetrixie)

@OneTrixie - You mean I've spent all last year just walking?  Even my best 5K PR (10:35 miles) was still just a casual stroll, I guess!    Funny, it felt so much harder than that!   Thanks for laughing at that guy for all us penguins!

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

Dec 2, 2010
    1,537. Jan 26, 2011 9:58 PM (in response to onetrixie)

Trixie

Race walkers actually do 8 minute miles!

I figure if one heel and one toe are on the ground at the same time, you're walking. If none are on the ground at some point in the stride, you're definitely running.

But the real point is how fast does HE cover a mile?

Jack

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,538. Jan 27, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Hi Gang! Hope everyone is well today!

MamaBear! Good job on the 9 miler! Doesn't it feel strange when  you get to the point that you say..I ONLY have 4 miles today or 5 miles today! Before I started training for a HM, 4 or 5 miles WAS  my long run!

Jack - Amen to that! People who do NOT run or do any form of exercise for that matter have no idea how hard it is and how much discipline it takes to run. I have had people that do nothing physically ask me what the 13.1 sticker on my car means and I tell them that is how many miles I ran in my HM. They say...oh..I could run, but my muscles are weak! Well, I bet they are since you do nothing but sit on your butt all day. Then I have also had people to tell me how crazy I am that I run and ask me why I would want to do that. I tell them that I do it because at 58 years old..I CAN!!! Then I ask them if they CAN?

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

Dec 2, 2010
    1,539. Jan 27, 2011 9:03 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Mimi

A few weeks ago the weather was good enough for a round of golf.  It felt good to get out and spend a few hours of what I call walking and stretching.  After we were finished, the guys I played with ( a group of about 8 golfers ) were discusing where to go to drink some beer. That being one of the key activities of guys in the golf league. When I told than the day was too nice and I was going home to run, their reaction caught me by surprise. It was like it was not PC do do something healthy!  Two of the guys actually chided me as if doing something healthy was a comment on the rest of them or that  I was somehow insinuating that they were unhealthy.  Not one of them could run half a mile at any speed.  We usually do a lot of kidding around with each other, but the two who commented seem to actually feel that I was some how insulting them.

I have learned to keep my running to myself in most situations. Until I meet with another runner, them I am just a blabber mouth!

Good running to ALL who get out and do it!

Jack

Jack

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1,540. Jan 27, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Dearn it.....sure hope coolrunning gets this site fixed soon. Hate, hate, hate these disappearing posts.

Mimi & Onetrixie, had a good laugh at your devilish comebacks. My 32 year old daughter & I agreed that our foray on the pavement this morning definately had elements of running, even if we did excede the 10 min. pace. Heck, at my age, I may never meet his qualifications of running, but that isn't going to stop me from moving my bootie as fast as I can over whatever distance that I can.

Had a nice 3.1 mile run this am followed by yoga. I've been a funk this week, so really dreadred getting out, but,  it was fine once I got started.

Have a great day fellow penguins.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1,541. Jan 27, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Jack, did you beat them playing golf that day?

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,542. Jan 27, 2011 9:15 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Jack,
    That is so right on, and it seems to apply to most self-improvement areas.  I find with weight loss some people do not want to support it because they feel that it is a reflection on themselves of what they are not doing.  Like as simple as if I politely say "no thank you" to some supermarket birthday cake at the office, it somehow becomes about my inflexibility.  But when in fact, I leave room in my diet for deserts, I just make sure they are worth the calories.  It seems similar to you - I'm sure you don't run non-stop, but you also are unwilling to waste a beautiful day as I am unwilling to waste calories.

I find it is easier to keep my excitement at the possibilities of life to myself when I am around certain types of people that aren't into self improvement, but then I do tend to probably talk a bit too much when around people who are!  As an example, I'm loving these message boards and the people that are on them!

Best,

Laura

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,543. Jan 27, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to onetrixie)

Onetrixie - When I am using the treadmill, I find the cutoff point between when I am walking and when I start to jog is a 4.0 speed, which is a 15 minute mile.  So I'm not sure what catagory your co-worker would put me in, but I guess I am off the charts, and according to that person, I am not doing anything at all.

Mimi - Awhile back I told some co-workers that I do triathlons, and one person said, "Why, what are you trying to prove?"  I told that person I was not trying to prove anything, other than the fact that I liked doing them, it made me have energy, and it proved to myself that I could do it.  Then that person said, "I could never do that, I have heart problems."  I thought to myself, "That's why you have heart problems, because you won't do anything physical," but I kept those comments to myself.  So I can relate to the people you know who said they cannot run due to tired muscles.

• adeen Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    1,544. Jan 27, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to Donna914)

....I'm very new to long distance running,  I've been training for longer (5+ miles) for about a year, and running on a semi-regular basis for at least 2 now.  I really don't know that much about how to properly organize a training regime, and for the most part of this past year, every time I ran, I pushed.  This didn't seem condusive to getting myself to go running the next time it was on the daily schedule, AND I recently signed up for my first 1/2 Marathon.  I found a 4 month training schedule on-line, and I've been sticking to it, but I jsut had some random questions, and I didn't really know where else to turn, so I apologize if this is annoying, BUT! if you happen to know the answers, please chime in...OR if you know of a good resource where I can find a lot of my problems addressed, that would be fantastic too.

...I recently stumbled across the notion of heart-rate training (and I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas, which I LOVE) I have been trying to locate my heart rate training "zones" which requires a calculation of my max heart rate.  The formula I found on line uses age.  Despite my slow running pace, apparently over the past year, pushing myself has greatly lowered my resting heart rate and I was wondering if this factors into my max heart rate calculation at all.  I feel like it should, but I'm not very sciency, so who knows.  I also found some physical tests I could try, but I am hesitant to do so...(I've already fallen off the treadmill at the gym once! :)) but are those tests more accurate?

...also, based on my running schedule, I'm running one long day followed by a very brief recovery run the next day, and then three days of middle, short, middle distances.  Which of these runs should be my "hard" run, and how many of them should be in the "easy" category?  I am interested in building speed, but from what I understand there should only be speedwork done in brief periods leading up to a race? and should not be part of my weekly workout year round?  To sustain my "easy" heart rate I feel like I'm barely moving....but at the same time I do run farther.  Should both of my short runs be hard runs?

...also I try to go to the gym 3 times a week too....I'm only in there for like 15 minuets, but with all the runnning, should I lower the amount of weight training? I am also a student and I don't get too much sleep during the semester, which plays into how dead my legs feel too.  towards the end of the week sometimes, after I've been sitting down for a long time at my job or school, my calfs get a wierd swollen feeling?!!? am I doing something wrong? or are they just fatigued? haha maybe I should do more stretching.

your thoughts?!?!?! thank you for wading through all of that, I apologize if these questions are silly!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...