Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

885649 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 297 Previous Next
  • David-TT Pro 77 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,545. Jan 27, 2011 5:02 PM (in response to adeen)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

adeen, I'm very new to any kind of running.  I started C25K at the end of October and I have had a lot of the same questions as you.  Here's my opinion.

I also got a fancy gps watch with a heart rate monitor for Christmas.  I have a good idea what my max HR is since I had a stress test last year, and it's pretty close to what some of the formulas say.  I've read online and in some books that the formulas aren't really accurate, but I guess I lucked out.  My doctor said my max was around 180 and the highest I've ever gotten it is 177 when I was running like an idiot.  Regarding zones, this seemed like a really appealing idea but I'm unable to use it yet.  Maybe when I get more fit it'll work but for now it's useless.  My resting HR is usually kind of high, like 90 or so, sometimes less, but it goes up to 140 or so really quick even without much exertion and I'm supposed to be below 128 for my easy run, according to one plan I saw.  Bottom line is I use my HR to see how hard I'm working and how well I'm cooling off.  I have noticed in the month I've had it my HR doesn't jump up as fast as it used to and it comes back down quicker than it used to so maybe someday the zones will work for me.  Since you have already lowered your resting rate (that's what I want to do!) it would make sense that your zones would change but I haven't seen anything yet that takes that into account.  The zones I've seen are all a percentage of the max.

I found an online plan that has me running easy on Monday, both easy and fast on Wednesday and easy and long on Saturday.  I really like it so far.  The Wednesday run will be a mile at the easy pace, a mile or two at a fast pace, then another easy mile.  The Saturday run is all easy and a mile or two longer than the Monday run.  Every 4 weeks or so the distances decrease for a week and then ramp back up.  Supposedly by the end of April I'll have a Saturday run of 10 miles.  My goal is to finish somewhere other than DFL in a 10K in the first week of May.  The good news on HR is now I don't get up really high like 90% of my max until I go about 3 easy miles, so I think I'm getting more fit.  I'm also not gasping for breath even after running 3 or 4 miles at the easy pace.  Feels good, just need stronger legs and I could go all day.  I really hope the fast running on Wednesday will increase my speed.  I was overjoyed when I ran a 5K at less than 40 minutes but I want to do it at less than 30 minutes at some point.  I also want to run a 10K in less than an hour one day, but for my first one I just want to beat somebody and finish.  Maybe I shouldn't have waited till I was past 50 to start running.

Looking at my plan a little closer it has some Thursday runs popping in there too toward the end of February.  My main goal at the moment is to get stronger.  I hope the speed will come too but distance is my main goal right now with no huffing and puffing.

If your interested the plan I'm using is the Smart Coach plan from the Runners World website.  There's and ipod app for it but it's kind of flaky.

• RICH48 Pro 106 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    1,546. Jan 27, 2011 6:54 PM (in response to adeen)

Possibly because of not starting to run till I was older, I didn't get into "heart-rate" training, but I have done 2 HM's and 1 Full Marathon and got alot of information and my training schedules from Marathonrookie.com - Check it out - it may help

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,547. Jan 27, 2011 10:09 PM (in response to PaintingLady)

Lady

There were 8 of us. I beat 6 of the other 7.   Its kind of wierd in that I have known these guys for a couple of years and I can't understand their reaction.  Three of the guys didn't say a thing.  One just asked about my watch and couldn't believe that it was a tracking GPS unit.  I told him it was the cheapest model and the others even had training partners. That started a few jokes.  They are good guys, but I still don't understand.

Good Running

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

Dec 2, 2010
    1,548. Jan 27, 2011 10:07 PM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

Laura

You wrote: "As an example, I'm loving these message boards and the people that are on them!"

In late Dec it was freezing cold here with some brisk winds. I thought it was not fit to run in that weather. I ended up with some time to kill so I checked in here. Reading some of the posts and feeling the suport that is often given got me in the mood to lace them up and bundle up. So I did, and out the door I went.

As I ran, I kept thinking I would not have made it out the door with out this place. The hardest thing sometimes about running sometimes is lacing them up.

Good running

Jack

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,549. Jan 28, 2011 2:18 PM (in response to David-TT)

Dave:  I also used the Runners' World Smart Coach training plan.  I think it's a good combination of long, easy and tempo runs.  It was also easy to customize for the target distance and the number of weeks of training.  Like yours, it built up the distances gradually and allowed for a decrease every four weeks.

Going easy for the first few miles allows a thorough warmup and makes the rest easier.  The fact that you're not puffing as much during a run means that 1) you are getting fitter and 2) you're learning to pace yourself.  I drink a fair amount of water with Gatorade G2 before I leave and I carry a water bottle fanny pack and Power Gels.

There's nothing wrong with starting running at age 50 or beyond.  There's another thread on this forum called "Over 50, 5K and Beyond-What Are Your Challenges".  No requirements for distance or speed, just be at least 50.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• tkitzy Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    1,550. Jan 29, 2011 7:57 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi everyone! I think this is the first thread I've responded to, and it seems perfect for me. I've been running since April and my best race time is 35:19 5K. I am currently following the FIRST training plan from "Run Less, Run Faster." I once did a mile in 9:20, but I'm usually happy with a surprising sub-11 min mile. I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Dec 2, 2010
    1,551. Jan 29, 2011 6:16 PM (in response to tkitzy)

Welcome tkitzy. Great start and race result.

Lots of good folk here, stick around!

Good Running

Jack

Jack

• CathyK817 Amateur 10 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1,552. Jan 29, 2011 6:24 PM (in response to Donna914)

I started running in August, 2010.  Just a little running in between walking.  Started because someone in my weightwatchers group talked about starting running with her kids during walks by picking a street light and running between it and the next then walking again...This I thought I could do and besides I was training a service dog at the time who could use the exercise!   I have so often heard that it all starts with one step.  This I hold onto as I run everyday.  I am now up to over 4 miles.  I am 53 and battling my knees but LOVE to run after being a couch potato all my life.  I still have way too much weight on my body and am stuck at a plateau but hanging in there and willing to work on it. I ran my first mile as part of a fundraiser for MDA.  It was supposed to be a 5K but my registration was only for the one mile in error.  It was a great beginning though.  I actually ran it and ran it again to come back in with my husband who is disabled and rolled the race in his powerchair with his service dog.   I ran my first 5K 1/8/11 and was soooooooo nervous.  I had nightmares about whether I would finish or not. Then had a recurring nightmare for a week before the race that I finished but when I came in no one was there as everyone had already packed up and gone home!!  I decided to run anyway and was not the last to finish.  My time was about 41 minutes.  I was pretty sure I was going to pass out because I got caught up in all the excitement and started running too fast at the beginning but calmed myself down and got into my rhythm.  It was incredible to finish.  I was in tears because if anyone had ever said a year ago that I would do this I would have told them they were nuts.  I'm scheduled to run my second 5K on 2/5 and can't wait.  I have increased my distance in the hope that I won't mind the distance so much.  My only problem is that I'm struggling with my knees giving me some pain after my long runs.  I take a few days off and then run shorter distances in the middle.  I'm curious if anyone else has any suggestions.  I love reading the things on this thread.  It's so motivating to hear about other's experiences being so new.  I love running and so hope that I can continue this for a long, long time even though I'm a late bloomer.  I have heard that there are some exercises to improve thigh muscle strength and stomach muscles that can help sometimes with taking the pressure off the knees while running.  Any suggestions of good resources?

Let's keep running!  Looking forward to hearing more from everyone!

Oct 18, 2007
    1,553. Jan 29, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to tkitzy)

Welcome - sounds like you're doing good to me!

Oct 18, 2007
    1,554. Jan 29, 2011 7:40 PM (in response to CathyK817)

Welcome - Good Luck on 2/5, I'll be running one on 2/6 myself.

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,555. Jan 29, 2011 7:44 PM (in response to CathyK817)

Cathy,
    This may not apply to you, but last year I started having knee pain and couldn't figure out why.  I read somewhere about shoes possibly being the culprit, so I went and got fitted at my local running store.  They not only watched the way I walked, but they also had a computer that made recommendations, too.  They picked out a different style than I had been wearing.  Also one interesting thing, although I don't think it had anything to do with the knee pain, but they put me in a size and 1/2 bigger then I had been wearing.  After running on the new shoes for a few days, my knee pain started getting better and went away completely after a few weeks.   I'd definitely suggest getting fitted at least once by a running store. 

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• David-TT Pro 77 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    1,556. Jan 29, 2011 8:08 PM (in response to CathyK817)

Cathy, I can second the idea about the shoes.  When I started C25K I was plagued with off and on knee pain and since I got some different shoes that's not an issue anymore.  Or maybe I should say it's not a show stopper.  I still have various aches and pains but nothing like the knee pain I had in November.

Good luck on your upcoming 5K.  I have yet to run my second 5K but I'm thinking of doing one on 2/12.  I hope I'm not a nervous wreck since the new has worn off.  I didn't hardly sleep at all for three days before my first 5K.  Sounds like you had a similar experience so I'm not the only one!  As far as plans go I'm using the Smart Coach plan on the runners world website and I like it so far.  I just like having a plan, it's the way I'm wired.  I like knowing that Saturday I need to run 5 miles at a certain pace and then Monday I'll run 3 miles at a certain pace and so on.  This particular plan uses your race time to cook up some results that should help you reach some defined goal.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,557. Jan 29, 2011 9:06 PM (in response to CathyK817)

Hi, Cathy -- I started running around the same time you did, am 61, and started with a good bit of extra weight but getting much better now.  I had trouble with my knees, too, and echo the suggestion re the shoes.  It's very important to get good shoes that are properly fitted by experts -- it makes a huge difference.  Also exercises and stretching are important to prevent knee pain -- if you google "runner's knee" you will turn up the exercises and stretches.  Soft knee braces have helped me -- they are neoprene or similar rubbery stuff, are not stiffened with braces, and have a hole cut out for your knee cap.  They keep your knee cap tracking properly -- improper tracking can cause pain in the tops of your knees.  Also, there is a thigh exercise you can do on a treadmill or really on any steep hill -- I call it the crab walk.  You walk up the treadmill with the incline set on the highest setting and the speed set VERY slow (I started with 0.5 mph, the minimum) and you turn to the side and walk sideways uphill for several minutes.  You can hold on to the side rail for stability if you need to.  You do that on both sides.  As you get better at it you can go faster and longer.  That strengthens your thigh muscles.  But be careful, it is easy to lose concentration and get perilously close the the end of the treadmill!  I saw that one on a website called livestrong.com, I think.  After all this, my knees still ache after a long run, but they're better than they were.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,558. Jan 30, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to CathyK817)

Hi Cathy...welcome to the forum!

I agree that proper shoes are vital if you are having pain issues in your running.

When I started the C25K program (having been a walker and hiker) I had knee pain in my right knee (which curiously never bothered me when hiking and only slightly when walking).  I actually self-diagnosed from the tread-wear of my shoes and purchased neutral-cushioned shoes, which seemed to work fine until I quit heel-striking and changed to midfoot-landing running technique after taking a local running form class:

learn_to_run.jpg

I got this graphic from the Altrarunning site.  When I changed to this running form, my knee pain went away entirely, and I had to get rid of the cushioned shoes as well, since landing on a firmer, flatter shoe works for me.  Some people advocate barefoot running.  I don't think I'll ever go there (as I enjoy trail running), but this running form worked for me.

Good luck in your search for pain-free running!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,559. Jan 30, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to mythic)

Good evening, friends -- I had a nice run this morning.  Drizzly and soft weather -- not too cold.  My goal was to run 4 miles so I decided to run down on Sacramento's American River Bike Trail, which has a nice running surface and plenty of entertaining wildlife to look at.  It is also nice if you want a run of a certain distance because it has markers every half mile and you can do an "out and back".  I wanted to have a good long run (for me, anyway) so I could try out that Gu to see if it made any difference. I ran a couple of miles late last week, but was forbidden to run by my chiropractor for two weeks before that, so I was definitely looking forward to running.

I was running along enjoying the day and apparently missed a half-mile marker -- I started at marker 8.5 and the first mile and a half went well but the half mile from 10 to 10.5 (my turnaround point) seemed to go on forever!  I was surprised when the next marker I saw was 11!  No wonder it seemed so far.  So I did five miles -- nice run.  However, I had some trouble on the way back in the last mile or so with my quads starting to cramp up.  Has anyone else ever experienced that?  I had to stop and stretch several times to keep them on the job -- after all, I needed to get home!  They are tired now but otherwise OK.  What can you do to prevent that -- other than stretching, of course.

By the way -- I thought the Gu was yummy.  I eat very very few refined carbs so it was a real treat to legally eat something that tasted like cold hot fudge sauce.  My trainer just told me to squirt the entire packet in my mouth at once but I had to eat it in two bites because there was too much for one gulp.  Unfortunately, I had to count the carbs in my daily intake limits which meant no carb side dish for dinner and I still came in a little over my calorie limit, but oh well -- I'm willing suffer with something that tastes like cold hot fudge sauce.  It does give you more energy I think.

Hope you all had a great day!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...