Skip navigation

917 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2011 11:42 AM by Gerardino RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2011 3:52 PM

Hawaii Running Cruise Reviews

Share your experiences with the Hawaii Running Cruise below Back to event details page.

• dukey Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    1. Jan 30, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Hawaii Running Cruise Reviews

AWESOME!  How could it not be great with fun folks, lots of drink (woohoo!), and unique and beautiful runs that could accomodate any runner or walker level?  Had a few issues with NCL (kept our booze that we didn't know we weren't allowed to bring onboard and then charged us to get it back, and felt like we were being nickeled-and-dimed to purchase photos and such, but hey, it's a business, right?), but had NO issues with Marv and Rosemarie.  REAL nice folks, felt taken care of, like being with Mom and Dad   Our favorite run was Kauai, but the unique volcano run and the chance to enter in the Maui Oceanfront Marathon was great, too.  Side tours were nice, wish we could have seen more/hiked more of the volcano(es), but all-in-all, we got a taste of it all.  Would definitely suggest to friends.  Peace out  

• khicks1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2008
    2. Jan 30, 2011 6:17 PM (in response to Guest )

This was by far the best vacation I have been on.  Husband and I do not like to lay around and soak up the rays so Run-Hawaii was a great fit for us.  Loved every run and enjoyed the fact we had time to head out and explore the different islands on off days.  Marv was amazing at putting this together and coordinating with the local islanders at each event.  We will be looking to do this again with him in the next coming years.

• siobhan18 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    3. Jan 31, 2011 2:20 PM (in response to Guest )

It was great. It was my first cruise, first time to Hawaii, and first time traveling alone. Marv and his team along with the other participants made it a wonderful and absolutely unforgettable experience!! Everyone was so nice and our group was big enough for diverse personalities and small enough to get to know each other. It was cool to run into one another on the "off" days exploring the islands and motivating to cheer each other on and show support during our runs. A few people have started talking about meeting up for other races and I would also return to Run-Hawaii in the future

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    4. Mar 7, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to Guest )

We had a great time, and it was such fun getting to know our fellow runners, including the reviewers above. (Hi, guys!)

It was a unique experience, one that is hard to describe to people back home. (Them: "So, everyone on the cruise was a runner, then?" Us: "No, just us and about 25 others who signed up on Active.com for the group rate." Them: "So, did all 25 of you know each other?" Us: "No, total strangers at first. Friends by the last day!" etc.)  This was our first cruise -- we'd never had much desire to take a cruise before. It was definitely worth trying once. Having visited Hawaii three times before, it was a welcome change to experience multiple islands without having to make travel arrangements. That, and the great views you get cruising around the islands and into the harbors, was the best part about the cruise. The downsides include those mentioned by others (everything has an added cost) and you do have to wait in line a lot. Otherwise, NCL seems like a respectable cruise line; no problems.

Marv and Rosemarie and their friends/colleagues Mike and Sharon were wonderful planners and hosts. The runs were fantastic, and there was plenty of time to do your own thing on the off days too; we weren't "managed" by the hosts at all. What a treat to meet some Marv's local friends who set up the runs for us in Hawaii Volcanoes Nat'l Park and on Kauai. Best of all, the weather was perfect that week, which doesn't always happen in Hawaii in January. My husband and I are seriously considering a return trip to west Maui next year to run the oceanfront (half) marathon on our own. It's one of our favorite areas anyway, and experiencing it as a runner was new and exciting. 

• Gerardino Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    5. Mar 9, 2011 11:42 AM (in response to Guest )

Hello every one.this is Ruth and Juan from New Jersey: This was our first cruise and our first time to Hawaii. This has been our best running and cruising experience. Marv, Rosemarie, Mike and Sharon were great planners and entertainers. All runners and their families were so nice that it really hurted having to depart. I wish you all the best and I hope I have the chance to enjoy your company and running adventures again. I definitely suggest this cruise to every one wanting something different, exotic and still healthy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...