Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1991 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 2:00 PM by almontco1 RSS
JoyfulJen Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2011 8:18 AM

Preparing for a hilly ultra

I'm an east coaster (a Philadelphian to be exact), and I just registered for the Mt. Hood 50-miler.  I'm PSYCHED for the beautiful Oregon mountain views.  I'm in need of some new inspiration for hilly trail-runs in the Philly area.  Anyone have any suggestions??

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    1. Feb 9, 2011 3:15 PM (in response to JoyfulJen)
    Re: Preparing for a hilly ultra

I'm from Austin, TX but when I was looking for some great tough courses, I found a local running store that hosts group runs and asked them.  They pointed me to some of the toughest trails I have ever run on that I would have never found on my own. 

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    2. May 5, 2011 10:14 AM (in response to JoyfulJen)

I would contact Pretzel City Sports.  POC: rhornpcs@aol.com  He does fantastic runs in the Philly area - trails, very hilly and lots of fun.

• striperfish616 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 19, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to JoyfulJen)

Hi there,I know for myself training for a very hilly race can be a little boreing.So may i suggest getting your I- pod with some good motivational thrust behind it and get to a nice mountainous area,run all the straits and when you get to the hills run half and walk the other half.For me,2 to 3 hrs is usually sufficient.Good luck.....marc

striperfish616

• almontco1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 5, 2008
    4. Sep 15, 2011 2:00 PM (in response to striperfish616)
    Preparing for a hilly ultra

There's always the treadmill, stairstepper and old-fashioned steps.

2011 Races

Chippewa Moraine 50k, Kettle Moraine 100 Mile, Voyageur 50 Mile, Superior 100 Mile.

2010 Races

Chippewa Moraine 50k, 3 trail marathons, 4 road marathons, 1 recovery from Lyme disease.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points