Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4921 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2011 11:32 AM by flyzippio RSS 1 2 Previous Next
flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
Jan 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2011 7:58 AM

Need the support of other new runners

Hello everyone!

I just started running again and I'm looking for some outside motivation.  I used to post my runs on Facebook, but I think all my friends are tired of seeing my posts as no one seems to give me feedback anymore.  When I was running and getting feedback I seemed to have my highest level of motivation.  So yes.... I'm a high maintenance runner.

My wife said that I should start a blog and get some other runners to follow me and comment.  Since we all have the common goal of getting back into shape.  So here I am - begging for followers.

My blog is located at www.fatguyjogblog.blogspot.com  I hope some of you will follow and support me as I plan on running 2 5K races per month that will hopefully end at the finish line of the 2012 Disney Marathon.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Patrick

• run4jaci Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    1. Feb 1, 2011 9:31 AM (in response to flyzippio)
    Re: Need the support of other new runners

I understand that! It's like after awhile your friends are like "WE GET IT YOU RUN!!!!" haha, I started a blog as well, not so much for anyone to read, but to keep me motivated and keep me on track and log my running.  Mine is run4jaci.blogspot.com  i'll add you and we can keep in touch! I need someone to motivate me as well! =0) Best of luck on your journey to Disney World!

• TGriffin55 Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2. Feb 1, 2011 10:29 AM (in response to flyzippio)

Sure I would love to read about your journey, trials or tribulations or whatever.  I also have started a blog, but I envisioned it more than "just" a running blog, more like a diary or something!  I'm not real good at the "following" or subscribing thing, but I think I have got yours "captured".  I think my URL for my blog is http://notetoself55.blogspot.com/

c25k Status:

W 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

D 1 2 3

Race Results

04/10/10 ORS Marrowthone 5K - 48:20

08/07/2010 Run Clark Lake 5K - 46:29

08/14/10 BWL Hometown Power 5K - 45:37

10/10/10 Falling Waters Trail Wildlife Marathon 5K - 44:47

02/25/11 Llano's Not So Fun Run 1 mile - 11:49

04/09/11 Blue Bell Fun Run (5K) - 36:34

04/25/11 Fredericksburg Wildflower Run (5K) -32:37 PR

07/04/11 Freedom Day 4 Miller - 48:12 PR

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    4. Feb 1, 2011 5:50 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Here is also a great place for support as people are pretty good about support and feedback, etc. so you don't necessarily have to have other blogs.   My sisters harass me about my Facebook posts.  LOL.  They are like, yeah, yeah.  You run, we don't.  But, I post for myself there and here.   Today I did week 6 day 2 of the Robert Ullrey C25K podcast and did 2.5 miles in 34 minutes - which was 13.6 minutes per mile - which is good for this penguin.   Waddle on, friends, and welcome, new runners! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    5. Feb 1, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to flyzippio)

I feel the same way, and crave the energy and motivation of others when getting back into running.  I will definitely check out your blog!  Also, for some extra motivation, you should check out some free running groups, or weekly fun runs in your area.  Many running stores organize these for free on a weekly basis including Nike and Runner's Roost.  When I lived in L.A., I was addicted to the Niketown runs, because it feels like a mini race, with tons of other people running alongside you.  Check your local area to see if you have any of these near you!

Good Luck!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    6. Feb 1, 2011 6:44 PM (in response to flyzippio)

I will add your blogs to my link sidebar on my blog.  I've been writing my blog a little over a year now.  I find it a great source of accountability and motivation.  It not only gets me out the door, but it also makes me run longer.  In my mind I tell myself I'd rather write about a 10 mile run than a 8 mile run so I keep going. 

My site is:  http://www.RunningItOff.com

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• Tabicat Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    9. Feb 3, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to flyzippio)

Hey guys.  I am a very new runner too.  I am on week 4 of the C25K program and somewhere in the back of my mind I believe that I am not really a "runner" until I can run a mile without stopping so that is my goal in the next few weeks.  I am signed up to run a 5K on April 2nd so I have to get busy and get ready for it!  I never wanted to run, I never liked it but in the course of working to lose weight (40 lbs down so far) I realize that I want to be fit too and running is a good way to get there.  I secretly read people's blogs about running 1/2 and full marathons and I want to feel like that...  I want that sense of accomplishment!

• KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    10. Feb 3, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to flyzippio)

Hi all.  I have a question or two or three..

In September i started the C25K program.  I made it through w6d1 and then started running with the ipod.  Our subdivision is just over a mile around and about a 5k to go around three times.   I alternated between running the subdivision once or adding about a 1/4 mile to that, and running down to our elementarty school.  To the elementary school and back is about 3.2 miles.  In December we left for vacation up North (i live in S. Florida) and with a few feet of snow on the ground i didn't get to run at all.   When we got back from Christmas vacation i went to Colorado and did manage to go out a coule of times.  The hills and the altitude was a challenge and so i alternated a lot of walking and jogging and just went for longer.  After coming back it was very hard to get back to the mile...was able to run it a couple of times with a small amount of walking once, and the next time felt so great i went for two miles (part of it walking).  Then i got sick and got lazy and this excuse and that one and now i'm looking for help.   I've still got a horrible cough, would like any help on getting rid of it and getting back into my running program.  My friend signed me up today for a 5k on May 30th.  Okay, so now i have a goal, i know the C25K will get me there and i plan on getting back on it as soon as i can breathe, but where to start?  Do i jump in where i left off or go back a week or so?  I have not run a "race" since middle school.  i have not run a mile straight since High School until a few months ago.  3 miles seems daunting but i'm determined to make it through this 5k without walking.  I've got to run for longer and go farther.   Help??

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

• TGriffin55 Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    11. Feb 3, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to KILOWATTGOLD)

Hi Kilo,

I'm no doctor and you are further along in the c25k program than I am (I justed completed w4d3),so for what it is worth, I wouldn't run if I still had the cough.  I might try to walk if that didn't aggravate it.  I would try to pick back up right were I left off on the program.  If that proved to be too hard I would then go back a week or two and go from there. 

P.S. This advise is prolly worth exactly what you paid for it!

c25k Status:

W 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

D 1 2 3

Race Results

04/10/10 ORS Marrowthone 5K - 48:20

08/07/2010 Run Clark Lake 5K - 46:29

08/14/10 BWL Hometown Power 5K - 45:37

10/10/10 Falling Waters Trail Wildlife Marathon 5K - 44:47

02/25/11 Llano's Not So Fun Run 1 mile - 11:49

04/09/11 Blue Bell Fun Run (5K) - 36:34

04/25/11 Fredericksburg Wildflower Run (5K) -32:37 PR

07/04/11 Freedom Day 4 Miller - 48:12 PR

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    12. Feb 5, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far.  Like the others I can relate to posting on FB and the reaction I get.  I lost quite a bit of weight last year and started walking as an exercise routine.  I even set a goal of walking the Disneyland half marathon in September 2010, signing up for it but not doing it due to an overseas work trip.  My walking had progressed that I was expecting to finish the half in about 3:15, but it was also to the point where it was hurting me to walk that fast.  So I started to jog a little, walk a lot, which then progressed to jogging more and now it is running more with some walk breaks.  I was able to participate in a few 5Ks and then was able to participate in the LA 13.1 half marathon last month.  I had thought about a blog but can't seem to find time to just sit down and right about things.  It's easier for me to follow others' blogs so I will follow along with you as you go on this journey.  Great job, keep it up, and that Disney World marathon will soon be an accomplishment.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    13. Feb 6, 2011 11:41 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Hi Patrick

I'll check out your blog soon! I feel the same way, I post some of my running stuff on facebook and SOME of my friends post back but I guess maybe it just doesn't get everybody excited if they don't run too. I wonder if there's a group for runners or individual groups for people who are running various races on facebook, I'll have to look into that. Good luck and talk soon!

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    14. Feb 7, 2011 6:32 AM (in response to flyzippio)

I am 52 years old and started running in 2007 to lose weight, so far I have lost 60 pounds. I ran my first 5k and 10k in 2007. In 2008 I ran my first 1/2 marathon and full marathon. I signed up for the Chicago Marathon it will be my 5th full marathon and 1st world major.

Along the way I have lowered my bad cholesterol and raised my good cholesterol and lowered my blood pressure.

I have started a blog to document my journey from an over weight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner. My blog includes before and after pictures as well as running tips and tips on dieting.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Please check out my blog and let me know what you think.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points