Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1025 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 3:25 AM by SMARIETTA RSS
PowerRuff Amateur 35 posts since
Jul 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2011 8:47 PM

What weather element keeps you inside?

Today was the first day this winter that I had to look at the weather conditions and led to me debating on if I would try to tough it out outside ..or retreat to the gym. After realizing that I wouldn't be willing to take my faithful four-legged running buddy with me in such weather it made sense to not subject myself to it either. So my element that sent me running inside was the -36 degree temps ( -6 without the windchill at noon) , what about everyone else? What does it take to keep you inside?

"SEA LEVEL IS FOR SISSIESBolderBoulder

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Feb 1, 2011 9:21 PM (in response to PowerRuff)
    Re: What weather element keeps you inside?

I live in Los Angeles, so features such as bitter cold, snow and ice aren't factors. However, if I see pouring rain (especially if it's a thunderstorm) I'll usually head instead to the elliptical in my house or (if it's a weekend) to the gym treadmill. OK, I don't HAVE to avoid the heavy rain. Of course I COULD go out and run in it. I just know I can usually go out the next day and avoid it.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    2. Feb 1, 2011 11:47 PM (in response to PowerRuff)

That would keep me inside too! We're down to -15ºC (5F) here and it's ok to run but I think I'd only go to -20ºC max. Another element would be a snowstorm. I've been lucky enough that this winter hasn't prohibited me from running outside yet!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    3. Feb 2, 2011 3:25 AM (in response to PowerRuff)

snow,ice,and the logical realization that  if I  am injured in a slip and fall I won't be able to support the people who are dependent on me.

stephen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...