Skip navigation

3903 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2011 9:42 PM by RedsG
McPorter33 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 12, 2010 7:31 AM

Fourth grade boys offense

I need an offense for fourth grade boys that anticipates their limits and plans for damage control.  In other words, I am looking for the line where I stop coaching and start planning for realistic expectations.  I need a balance between too much information that they can't remember and exectue versus total chaos of saying, "Okay, you five guys go and play basketball."

• jlidz Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    1. Nov 16, 2010 3:01 PM (in response to McPorter33)
    Re: Fourth grade boys offense

Keep it simple.  Run a basic 3-2 motion offense where you focus on the skill of screening away and freeing up a man for a layup or open jump shot.  If they learn the fundamentals of running through their progressions of screening low and looking for the open man you won't have to worry about running through too many set plays which they will ultimately forget.

Nov 12, 2010
    2. Nov 16, 2010 3:06 PM (in response to McPorter33)

Here is a link to a site that I've used extensively to help develop my playbook.  The premium content is worth the $50 annual subscription. 

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Animations/FlashMotionOffense.html

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Dec 28, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to McPorter33)

I agree with the 3-2 Motion, basket cut, rotate and fill in ...it's simple enough for young minds to graps.

Check out www.betterbasketball.com also...there's a video there on their "Read and React" offense and it's about 8 minutes worth of footage that is great.  I took it into practice with my girls travel team (now 5th grade) and they picked it up quick!  We finally look like we know how to keep spacing after 2 years!  LOL!

• coach1983mike Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    4. Jan 19, 2011 8:51 PM (in response to McPorter33)

take tha air out of the basketball, have the players pass the ball and 2 a player and go opposite during practice for 10 minutes rest then 3 more times for 10 minutes     NO AIR IN THE BALL    NO DRIBBLING 

• RedsG Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    5. Feb 1, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to McPorter33)

It really depends on the skill set of your team.   A free lance passing game is always easiest.  Just pass and cut to the basket then look for the open shot.  Try to space the floor in some manner.

LG

Walnut Creek, CA

WCYAA Rec League

Nov 12, 2010
    6. Feb 2, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to Coltdoggs)

Thanks that was helpful.  My boys are absolutely killing me.  I'm not getting through to them and am going to take a step backwards at my next practice.  I think I made it too complicated and am going to take the principles from the read and react and strip it down for them.

Other than my point guards, our wing play is horrendous.  I can't count on the perimeter players to screen away or get the ball down low to the bigs.  The other teams have figured this out and they are trapping our point guards on every possession.

I'm thinking of changing away from a 3-2 to a 1-4 set so that our bigs aren't trapped on the baseline so that I can get them more involved in the offense more easily.  I'll put the two bigs on the high posts and marginalize the weaker guards.  Thoughts?

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    7. Feb 2, 2011 2:47 PM (in response to jlidz)

If they are double teaming your guards...the wings have to come ball screen (obviously) and your guards can't kill the dribble (the problem I'm working on).  Finish everything by rolling to the basket...passes, screens...

One thing that may help is taking the basketball out of the drill in practice.  Get them to understand the basic set up of the 3-2 or try 4 out also, ...(like they show in the video).  Make them set up, PG with the "imaginary ball"...he makes his pass to wich ever wing, and cuts.  Then teach the kids to motion .  If you have 10 kids, pair them up and have them walk through the drills so you are teaching the whole team.  And really in the 4-1, you don't even have to worry about the 1 because he will merely be shadowing the ball where it get's passed to in hopes to dump into the post at some point.

First read for wing is the cutter, second is the filler, thrid is the dribble.

• RedsG Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    8. Feb 3, 2011 9:42 PM (in response to jlidz)

I'm not sure the 1- 4 is that great if you don't have wing play.  But I agree that you want to get some high post action especially to take pressure away from your point guard.  If the other team is really aggressive then perhaps UCLA - cut offense might be good.  Keep your other players on the baseline and let them shoot from there and space the court.

RedsG

Walnut Creek, CA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points