Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9062 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 11:47 AM by New Runner 2008 1 2 3 Previous Next
jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
Jan 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2011 5:42 PM

okay to walk?

When running a race I assume the goal is to run the whole thing. I can't image running a marathon without stopping at least once to walk.  I'm just curious if it's frowned upon to stop and walk during a race. It's part of the reason I haven't done a race yet...I'm afraid I won't be able to run the whole time!

• StaticZep Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    1. Jan 31, 2011 7:10 PM (in response to jeljohns)
    Re: okay to walk?

Are you just referring to a full marathon or any race in general?  I, fortunately, never had to stop and walk during a race but have seen several that did at every race I have ever run in.  It really is no big deal.  I wouldn't say it is frowned upon, but I would question if your training is up to par to complete the given race.  Several reasons (e.g., heat, fatigue, injury, etc.) exist why one might have to walk during a race when intending on running the entire distance.  However, lack of solid, sound training should not be a reason -- take the proper time to adequately train before attempting a race.  You will be glad you did. 

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon 11/05/11 - 3:50:19

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/15/11 - 1:44:59

Nobesville 10-Miler (NHS) 09/24/11 - 1:16:07

The Melt Down (Shelbyville) - 3 5Ks 07/16/11 - 1) 22:59 2) 24:30 3) 24:10

Carmel Marathon 06/11/11 - 3:56:02 (a hot one!!!)

Indy 500 Mini Marathon 05/07/11 - 1:48

Indy 500 Training Series 15K 04/09/11 - 1:11:41

Sam Costa Half (Carmel) 03/26/11 - 1:45

Indy 500 Training Series 10K 03/05/11 - 46:21

Polar Bear Doubler 3 & 5 Mile 02/19/11 - 3M - 22:00, 5M - 38:10

Indy 500 Training Series 5K 02/12/11 - 22:01

Race to the New Year 5K 01/08/11 - 23:59

Jingle Bell 5K 12/11/10 - 23:23

Turkey Trot - Noblesville 5K 11/25/10 - 24:00

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon 11/06/10 - 1:58

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    2. Feb 1, 2011 12:55 PM (in response to jeljohns)

I've never walked in a race (but I've never run a marathon.  The half marathon is the longest distance I've raced).   Not because it is "wrong" to do it, but because I feel like if I'm going to run a race I'm going to train to RUN the race.  If I can't run the entire distance, then I'm not fully trained and ready.   That's just me.

But if you just want to participate in the race and feel you can't complete it without walking part of it, then go right ahead.  It isn't "frowned upon", plenty of people do it.  The only thing that would be frowned upon is if you just suddenly stop short and start walking in the middle of the pack causing runners behind you to to swerve to avoid you.  Its just like the rules of the road, if your engine breaks down, you pull over in the emergency lane!  So hug the right side of the road so you don't impede others if you decide to walk.   Other than that, trust me, most people are way too concerned about their own performance to "frown" on you for walking.  If anything they see you as one more person they are going to beat which bumps them up in the rankings! 

• Angelique Simpson Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    3. Feb 1, 2011 6:38 AM (in response to jeljohns)

A lot of people do the run-walk-run combo for all running/racing, I think its perfectly fine to do so if that is what you choose to do and it is part of your goal. Jeff Galloway is a huge advocate of this, check out his website and you'll see that even in his advanced training plans for marathoners he says you should always have a combination of running and walking. Not everyone agrees with his recommendations, but he is a well known runner/author and lots of people train this way.

~Angelique

------------------------------------------

http://acupofrunning.blogspot.com/

Race History
    5K - Apr 2009: 39:00
    5K - Jun 2009: 36:55
    5K - Sep 2009: 34:06
    10K - Oct 2009: 1:13:45
    5K - Nov 2009: 34:23
    5K - Feb 2010: 32:28
    Half Marathon - Apr 2010: 2:39:06
    5K - May 2010: 29:49
    10K - Jun 2010: 1:01:48

5K - Aug 2010: 27:57

Half Marathon - Oct 2010: 2:12:18

10K - Nov 2010: 52:44 (PR)

5K - Feb 2011: 23:45

Half Marathon - Apr 2011: 1:49:18

Marathon - May 2011: 3:56:05

Half Marathon - Oct 2011: 1:49:14 (PR)

5K - Nov 2011: 22:20 (PR)

Marathon - Dec 2011: 3:41:42 (PR)

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    4. Feb 1, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to jeljohns)

I've seen the run/walk and I've done the run/walk.

One reason may be that the person is gearing up for their A race and the race their in at the moment is their B race (not high priority).

Another reason may be they are coming back from an injury and the 5 run/1 walk pattern is good for their condition.

Another reason maybe that they know that taking that 1 minute for  a walk will revitalize them.

In all my halfs I have walked a bit.  Last year I hurt my hamstring and took a few weeks off. Teh run walk cycle for recovery was first walk 5, run 1, then it switched the other way.  My first race back after the injury I did the run/walk and it was great, helped me from going "all out" and injurying myself again. 

My last race (December in Vegas) I walked through the water stations. Various thoughts on this--if walking at a water station is or is not considered running the full race.  I didn't care. I hate running and trying to drink anything out of a cup (I know how to do it, I prefer to just walk and drink). then I can get going again and am revitalized for the next part of the race.

My ONLY concession to walking is that if you're going to run and then 'stop" and walk then MOVe to the side when you're running and then walk there. I DISLIKE when people just 'stop' right in front of you in the middle of the course/road/path/etc.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    5. Feb 1, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to jeljohns)

I don't believe it's frowned upon at all.  In every race I've run from 5k to numerous marathons many runners slow to walk occasionally.  When I first started running (4 yrs ago) I did a run/walk training program and it worked great.  First off it helped me stay with training and not give up,  it also helped me slowly improve my conditioning until I was more comfortable and able to safely run for longer periods. That was four years ago and at that time I couldn't run a mile without stopping.  My first marathon I followed a 26 week training plan that incorporated run/walk and I was thrilled to get through it and finish that first marathon.  Since then I've learned more, trained more and become much more physically fit.  Now I don't walk at all on 5ks or 10k races and usually only do one very short walk through a water stop on 1/2 marathons.  I do use a walk through water stops every 3 miles plan when running marathons.  These walk breaks 4 yrs ago ranged from 1-4 min in length, now they are less than 15 sec.  My long range goal is to achieve the best marathon time my body is genetically capable of so as my condition and strength improve it's possible that I'll run all the way through a marathon.  That being said,  the number one reason I run and race is for the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment.  Personally I don't think taking a walk break along the way lessens the value of the race or the satisfaction either. Generally speaking, what I've found is the running community is a great group of people supportive to all levels of running regardless of age, gender or ability.  That's one of the many things I love about running and the people that support it! Do a race,  you'll love it!!   Good luck and have fun!!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• slowbuthappy Amateur 28 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008
    6. Feb 1, 2011 11:02 AM (in response to jeljohns)

I am not sure why people want to walk during the race.  It's just my opinion, I dont look down on anyone who wants to walk and I do walk through every other water stop in a half marathon.  In a 5K or 10K I dont stop for water.  Unless its hot, you dont need it.

But if you are going to run a race, why not train to run it?

If you give yourself enough time to train you should be able to get up to the race distance without walking.  If you plan to walk, you will walk.  Why not plan to run and then if you have to walk you can, but I feel a greater sense of accomplishment if I run the entire thing.  I am slow but so what.

I guess my question for myself is why would I plan to run a race in the future and not put a plan in place where I am fit enough to be able to run it all the way. If I dont have enough time to train properly, then I will not sign up for it.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    8. Feb 1, 2011 11:51 AM (in response to jeljohns)

Congrats on signing up for the 5k!  Have a blast and enjoy! Run, have fun and don't worry if you need a little walk, trust me you won't be alone.  Enjoy!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Grnfsh Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    9. Feb 1, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to jeljohns)

1/2 Marathon and longer, I will walk water/aid stations. Only because I am more efficient slowing down drinking my water or drink eating my Gu than trying to run through and then choke on the water. Then I cough and hack for half a mile when I could have just walked and been more comfortable.

Under a 1/2 marathon I dont take much water anyhow, If I do its in my face dumping on me when its hot.  5k ill never take water, 10k only if its hot.

just me though, but to answer your question. If you are tired. Walk, screw what everyone else thinks you aren't there to make them happy.

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    10. Feb 1, 2011 4:23 PM (in response to jeljohns)

your feeling of good or blah could be related to not just what you eat (more sugar on a day than another?) but also to how hydrated you are/what you're drinking (are you drinking more water one day and less the next (or more soda/etc)).

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    11. Feb 1, 2011 9:16 PM (in response to jeljohns)

You mentioned that you're planning to do a 5K. I've raced a lot of 5K's and almost always see some runners slowing to a walk in the middle of the race, and not just at the water stops. Most people won't care, or even take notice, as long as you follow good race etiquette: If you need to slow down to a walk, move to the side of the course - preferably to the right - don't cut anyone off - and then walk. When you're ready to speed up again, just reverse the process - start running, look where you're going (again, don't cut anyone off) and move back into the mainstream.

By the way, when you do your race, don't start out too fast. Keep a reasonably constant pace and don't sprint out at the start. That will increase the odds of you being able to run the whole race.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• DebC159 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    12. Feb 2, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to jeljohns)

I trained for my first marathon with Team In Training and they used the run-walk approach.  I wouldn't use this approach in a 5K, but if that's the only way you can do, I say GO FOR IT.  I just ran NYC Marathon in Nov.  I ran through mile 16 then started a run walk approach with the 4:30 pace group.  I think you have to remember its your race; you do what is most comfortable for you.

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    13. Feb 2, 2011 6:32 PM (in response to jeljohns)

I agree with staticzep; if you can't run a race without walking, you aren't in shape for that race.  Personally, I don't think much of the run/walk method for serious runners.  If you want to be proud of your accomplishments, get in shape and do your best.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    14. Feb 2, 2011 9:16 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Don't listen to the naysayers!  There are TONS of people who walk during races, whether its the whole thing, or just when they are tired.  And, I've done TONS of races (and had had to stop a time or two to walk even if it was to catch my breath, or re-group after climbing a steep hill.)  The beauty of running is that it is an individual sport and you can do WHATEVER you want!  And, plenty of people walk.  The great thing about races is that they will divide you up beforehand, depending on when you think you will finish.  Plus, many many races have a "walkers" category at the end - people who walk with strollers, their dogs, or their friends.  So, please, never think that you will be the only one walking.  Just remember that many of the people in the Active Community have lots of races under their belt, and will prob tell you that they don't walk.  That is the result of lots and lots of training.....  Don't feel pressure to run an entire race.  If you are wanting to run a race, you should find one, and just sign up.  YOu will actually be surprised at how much more energy and momentum you have during a racing event.  the high energy is CONTAGIOUS, and gives you a runners high, I promise.

If you are still worried about walking in a race, here are a few unwritten rules about walking:  If you need to slow down, move to towards the sidelines, or onto the sidewalk, so that you don't obstruct the course, or hurt someone else.  There is a lot of weaving going on, and after the first mile or so, people will spread out, and you will have more room to safely slow down to a walking pace with bothering anyone.  As a matter of fact, I had to slow down to a walk in the last mile of my half-marathon at the San Diego Rock n Roll event because I was getting a GIGANTIC blister on the heel of my foot and the pain was not pleasant.  Instead of yelling at me, my fellow runners checked on me, and encouraged me to push through it.  There was nothing but positive vibes.  Everyone knows what a big feat this races can be, and its a great accomplishment to complete.

I encourage you to please, please sign up, and just try a race.  You will find out very quickly that there are all kinds of runners at every speed and age - all with the same goal, and that's to cross the finish line, no matter how you have to do it.

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...