Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2158868 Views 11,398 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 5:12 PM by patti7177 Go to original post 1 ... 391 392 393 394 395 ... 760 Previous Next
  • LifeontheVerg Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    5,880. Feb 4, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to Wickedlester)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

@Wickedlester: I am an underpronator as well and I have found a few things that have wroked for me. The first thing that makes my body feel better is making sure that the shoes I am wearing are wide enough and have enough room for my foot to swell. The second thing that makes my body feel better is stretching (especially my calf).

I finished W1D3 today and felt pretty amazing. The 5,6,7 & 8 jog portions felt better than the first four. I have found my body likes running more when it is warmed up. I have found out it takes my body quite a bit longer than normal for my body to warm up. So far I am really liking the C25K program, it is really nice to have a structured program to do this the right way.

Verg

• JKnow Expert 45 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    5,881. Feb 4, 2011 7:28 AM (in response to Wideguy)

So for all of us stuck in less than nice conditions.... The first time I ran the C25k program, I did all but the last 2 runs on a treadmill/dreadmill. It can be done if you can deal with the boredom. When it gets warmer, I'll head back outside a day or 2 a week...We have had some pretty cold weather here lately (-30*F) so I haven't been able to run outside.

I was told that if you are going to dreadmill it, put the incline @ 1% to approximate level ground. something to do with overcoming the force of the belt making it easier to run...

I am doing C25k again, this time @ 2% inc. and trying to keep my pace to a 9:40 mile.... (only at W3D1, but hey... so far, so good)

BTW.... CONGRATS KATIE!!!

C25k Completed on 10-NOV-10

Veterans Day 5k 13-NOV-10 time 33:32

Turkey Trot 5k 25-NOV-10 time 33:18

Nike+ ID: jknow

• triagainathena Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    5,882. Feb 4, 2011 8:18 AM (in response to Wickedlester)

@ Wickedlester- I think one of the best things anyone can do to set themselves up for success when running is purchasing a properly fit pair of running shoes and orthotics, if necessary.  The first few times, I went to a running store, where yes, the shoes cost more.  Once I found a model that works for me, I now look for them online where they're less expensive.

Also, its recommended that a runner replaces their shoes every 300-500 miles.  Being that I weigh more than the average runner (like 50% more), I replace my shoes every 100-200 miles.  I know broken down shoes can cause injury and I'm super cautious of getting hurt...  Better safe than sorry.

You can stretch the muscles in your shins by pointing your toe and gently pulling down on it.  It helps to try various positions of rotation of the toe (does that make sense?).

Wideguy's post about shortening your stride could be helpful too.  When you overstride your body uses muscles and tendons to reduce the impact (and your shins can hurt).  If you shorten your stride, theres less impact to brace for.

Hope this helps!

K

• LGruns Pro 89 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    5,883. Feb 4, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I just did W5D3!! Yeah!! I was worried about this 20 minute thing. This morning I knew I wouldn't have my 12 yr old running with me because he is sick. So I got myself up at 5:15 and stuck with the program! So excited!! Both the 10 and 12 yr old were impressed, but wanted to let me know I wasn't ready to go totally alone, that they would still train me--they're getting used to the extra $ in their pockets for running with me:) I'm happy to have them running with me--looking forward to running Sunday, starting Week 6. Thanks everyone for your support!

Lynne

Jan 31, 2011
    5,884. Feb 4, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to LGruns)

Way to go Lynne!

• Wickedlester Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    5,886. Feb 4, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to triagainathena)

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try out that stretching on my next run day (Monday) sounds like solid advice.  I should have a new set of shoes by then as well.  I'm going to get fit for a pair.  I also weigh considerably more than your avg. runner at about 300lb's, (please don't say to not run at that weight, I've heard it before).  I will heed your advice on changing the shoes often to help avoid injury as well.  I know I need to do this right and slow so I don't get in a mess.

The good thing is I almost can't wait for Monday to see if I can handle week 2,  not sure I ever had that problem with exercise before LOL.

• triagainathena Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    5,887. Feb 4, 2011 1:19 PM (in response to Wickedlester)

I can offer this advice because I learned the hard way.  This is my third time trying to run and previously did too much too soon and ended up injured.

If your Dr has given you the green light to exercise then I say go for it!  I think perhaps people mean well when they tell you things like not to run but if you keep doing the same thing you've been doing, you'll only get the same results.  Some discomfort is normal, especially as you start, but it shouldn't be overly painful.

I have extremely tight calves which contributed to my shin splints.  I've been seeing an exercise physiologist who massages away the muscle adhesions which increases my flexibility.  I can't tell you what a world of difference this has made!  The burning lead feeling I used to get in my calves is nearly gone.  It probably sounds excessive, all of the steps I'm taking to remain injury free but I'm really motivated to stick with the program and there's nothing more frustrating than having your body give out on you.

Good luck on Monday!  Keep us posted how it goes!

K

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    5,888. Feb 4, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to ktface17)

ktface17 wrote:

What's that??? Check out the siggy!!! I FINALLY GRADUATED!!!! WOOT!!!  It took me long enough!!!

AWESOME, WTG!!!

Very nice Katy!

I had an off week. Just no energy and achy and yuck.  Going to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

All you guys getting hit with the snow and cold temps. I'll stop complaining, it's supposed to be around 45 here tomorrow.

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• BigGarza Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 10, 2011
    5,889. Feb 4, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to JKnow)

@JKnow - I have two little ones of my own, 3 yrs old and six months. And they are what got me started in running anyway. After getting turned down for life insurance due to my size, I knew I had to make a change. Wasn't just about me anymore. I knew it was time for a change, and I had to be around for them. Been running ever since. Keep up the great work. Can't wait for this Sunday's Super Bowl Fun Run 10K. Great times!! Everyone keep on the path. One foot in front of the other.

Running Schedule

Super Bowl Fun Run - 2/6/11

Shamrock'n Half Marathon - 3/13/11

California Run Festival Marathon - 6/5/11 (lord willin')

• Jimmyangelino Pro 68 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    5,890. Feb 4, 2011 7:29 PM (in response to LGruns)

Way to kick it Lynne! Now you know you are going to be running a 5K soon. That 20 minute run is a giant confidence builder--W6D3 tomorrow and I ain't sweating it!

Fat Jim heading towards Slim Jim

Started C25K 12/28/10---- finished 2/23/11!!

River Rat Marathon & Bike 5k 4/23/11 46 min.

17th Annual Beer and Bagel 4 mile off road 11/06/11 61 minutes

• LGruns Pro 89 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    5,891. Feb 5, 2011 5:33 AM (in response to BigGarza)

BigGarza--have fun in your fun run!!! Please post details of how the run went etc!!! I am looking at a run--James Joyce Ramble that is 10k on May 1. Really interested in that distance. I am looking at that particular race because it is a fun day for the family as well--some stuff for the kids to do. Also, it entails an overnight--which is always a fun adventure for the kids. Obviously a financial commitment for me, but sometimes that's another good motivator:)

Jimmy--chasing you!!! Don't look back, keep running!!!

Katie--congrats!!!!! What's next for you? Are you going to run a race or work on endurance or time? My goal at the moment, is not to twist my knee again going over the kiddie gate!!!

Lynne

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5,892. Feb 5, 2011 11:14 AM (in response to LGruns)

I ran my 5k first trail race today in Wet Conditions. Not to bad except for the choppy sand I had to run on. I feel pretty good so I will be running 9 miles tomorrow

• Jimmyangelino Pro 68 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    5,893. Feb 5, 2011 3:28 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Finished C25K W6D3! I am so pumped! I'm not sure how far I went as I'm doing it by time. I'm going to register for the 5K at the River Rat Run in Yankton, SD late in April.

Lynne, I'm sure you'll not only catch me but zoom past me! Keep up the good work!

Fat Jim heading towards Slim Jim

Started C25K 12/28/10---- finished 2/23/11!!

River Rat Marathon & Bike 5k 4/23/11 46 min.

17th Annual Beer and Bagel 4 mile off road 11/06/11 61 minutes

Jan 31, 2011
    5,894. Feb 5, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to Jimmyangelino)

Great job Jimmy! I start W2 on Monday and I someday wish to be where you are.

Verg

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...