Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5767 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2011 6:10 AM by GarylDavis
JasonStark Amateur 8 posts since
Feb 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2011 1:35 AM

Garmin Edge and Cadence Sensor

I've been using a garmin edge 750 for a while now and it's fine but I'm sort of disappointed with the cadence sensor. When I upload my data to garmin connect it looks like in the picture

active_cadence.png

and this is a good one! sometimes all I see are "spikes".

I thought my sensor was defective but then I've been looking at other people's charts in garmin connect and most look the same (a minority look fine). The garmin training center shows spikes too. I tried other software but some (like endomondo) won't even show cadence, and others are just like garmin, spikes everywhere.

Is there something I could do? I tried tweaking the sensor position etc but doesn't seem to change a bit. any idea?

• trykenter Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    1. Feb 6, 2011 8:54 AM (in response to JasonStark)
    Re: Garmin Edge and Cadence Sensor

Hi, my name's Jeane and I am living in Spain. Therefor my English is not too good. Sorry for this.

I practice road cycling and I have a very simple speedometer "Cateye".

My intention is to change it for anothe much more better, with pulsometer, slope meter, cadence sensor and so on.

Would you advice me about a good brand/model with a good relation features/price??

I know Cateye an Polar, not eny more.

Thaks for your reply.

P.D.:

Respect to your problem, I'm not precisely an expert, but why don't you contact with Garmin customer support.

Garmin Support

ropa ciclismo

• DavidPatterson88 Amateur 7 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    2. Feb 6, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to JasonStark)

Jason, I had similar issues too and after calling Garmin several times I gave up. Then, not long ago I've found a free app that amazingly fixed all my problems. Take a look at their page on cadence: http://www.sportietech.com/CadencePrecision.aspx

I'm using that app for everything now - it's also integrated with garmin connect (takes some fiddling) but can read straight from the garmin as well. You get lot of data and charts not available on connect, plus a map colored for speed which is beautiful, etc...

Give it a try, maybe it will solve your problems as well

David

• Chris Hoeber Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    6. Feb 7, 2011 9:17 PM (in response to JasonStark)

Everyone:

The spikes are real. I agree that the presentation is not very useful, but the times that it goes to zero are either when you stop peddling or when you are actually stopped.

I ride a fixed gear a lot, and when I do, the correlation between my cadence and wheel speed is just about perfect using Garmin Connect, as it should be, and the data is relatively noise free. The filtering being discussed here makes the chart more presentable, but it is also showing average data over a fairly long period of timie.

I use Strava as my primary record, and it allows you to display "Segments" of your ride; you can define a segment to be, for example, a one mile climb. When you expand the data this way, the plot is much more clear and useful - I have used it, for example, to see what happens to my cadence as I stand up on a climb (don't, if you are trying to set a record for that climb!) or climbing in different gears.

Chris

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    8. Feb 8, 2011 4:40 AM (in response to JasonStark)

Hello Jason,

I have used a Garmin Edge 305 for almost 2 years now.  I have also been using a "free" software program called "Sporttracks".  It is currently available under Version 3.???? which you have to pay for if you like it.  The last "FREE" version was 2.1.3478 and you should still be able to find that.  Additonally, you will find "plugins" for Version 3, but scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see a link for all the plugins for version(s) 2.

Anyway, this is a great program.  Now it downloads all the info from your Garmin and shows Heart Rate, Pace, Cadence, Calories, Min and Max heart rate and much more.  With plugins, you can add all sorts of other data and create charts, etc.

Now...as far as cadence-I have used other programs as well as Sporttracks and as far as I can tell, it's common to see spikes.  Some programs have a "smoothing" filter that can be set and that helps to even out some.  Now I use a "plugin" that calculates power and you will see spikes there too.  If you're using a later garmin model, then this program should automatically pickup power and represent it in a graph.  You will see lots of spikes there too.

I'm not sure that this is an issue since all kinds of factors like road surface, bumps, etc., can affect all of these things with no perceptible feeling in change to you.

Anyway, these programs are designed to give you an overall result of your ride and if you compare them one against the other it will show you your progress over time.  That's what we want anyway....is to see how much we are improving over a given period of time.

Below is a saved image from a plug in called "Training Load" and I use this to monitor my progress especially when I am gearing up for a ride. At any rate remember that these programs are tools and should be used as they were intended..to monitor and record.  Have fun..don't stress over the small stuff.

Chart Aug 09 thru 1-08-10.png

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    10. Feb 8, 2011 6:10 AM (in response to JasonStark)

Nice response as it is all a matter of personal preference.  I'm a techie myself and get frustrated a lot when something doesn't or can't give me what I want.  I hated Garmin Connect since I just couldn't extrapolate enough information from it to give me the feeling of satisfaction I was looking for.  It looks as though Sportietech has actually gone the extra mile to bring us what we want...a more readable, useful application that can be shared with others and among platforms.  Nice...very nice idea.  So, we all know that as technology progresses, what we expect to see will become more prevalent for us.

I'm going to try Sportietech for myself.  It looks rather interesting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...