Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2949 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2011 9:22 PM by jusbecuz RSS
jusbecuz Amateur 32 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 29, 2011 7:18 PM

My First 10K Experience

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I am a new runner, 51, and a penguin, but I thought I would share my first 10k experience with all of you. This 10K was a benefit called London’s run who was a little girl that died from Leukemia.  I only mention this because every ¾ to 1 mile, there was a large photograph on the course of a child and or their family accompanied by a motivational or inspirational saying.   I started running in June of 10, and figured I was ready for this run; although I hadn’t been able to train the last few weeks, so I was really nervous about the race.  I arrived early, and the course was farm roads around a large farm, and I had only previously run on pavement.  You really had to pay attention to the dirt roads, as there were ruts, rocks, and uneven sections; it wasn’t bad, just my inexperience with this type of course.  It was 38 degrees around the race start, which I consider really cold here in AZ.  I warmed up and wore a long sleeve dri-max long sleeve t-shirt, with a short sleeve dri-max over it, shorts, gloves, and a beanie. They had a personal trainer warm up those that were interested, so I joined in and felt really good.  The race started, and I wanted to make sure that I really watched my pace with the lack of running prior to.  I usually run an 11:30ish  pace, and the next thing I knew I was around 10:20.  Whoa Nellie; pulled back the pace and settled in for the run.  Mile 1 came, and a water station was there, but I didn’t feel the need to hydrate, so kept running.  Throughout the course, they had volunteers that were cheering sections, which was awesome.  Mile 2 and it felt like the temp went up 40 degrees, so off came the gloves and the beanie.  Mile 3 came and went, still feeling good. Mile 3 was the next water station, and I walked it in order to get a drink, as I haven’t figured that part out yet.  My experience in my 5ks was either I wore the water or choke on it, so I had a drink and back to running.  I hit mile 4 and was starting to get a little tired, but every sign I saw made my challenge seem very inconsequential, so I kept running at my pace.  Mile 5 was the next water station, and they had Gatorade, which was the best drink I think I have ever had, walked through the stop and back to the race.  After the turn at mile 5, you could see the finish line way off in the distance, and you could hear the cheering; which made the rest of the run effortless.  I came across the line at 1:11:58, which was an 11:34 pace.  My goal was an 11:30 pace, so I am very pleased with my performance.  The staff and the volunteers were outstanding at this race, kudos to them for an outstanding event.  I couldn’t have imagined 7 months ago that I would be running this far or this long.  I think I will run another 10k in March, and then perhaps on to half marathon training. Sorry for the long post, just had an excellent day and thought I would share it with my fellow runners.

RUNNING DOES NOT BUILD CHARACTER, RUNNING REVEALS IT

• rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    1. Jan 29, 2011 8:46 PM (in response to jusbecuz)
    Re: My First 10K Experience

Good job!  That sounds like a good run, good race.

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    2. Jan 30, 2011 4:01 AM (in response to jusbecuz)

Sounds like you had a good race but I hate those races where you can see the finish line off in the distance as it reminds me just how far left I have to go! I much prefer the races where you turn a corner and out of no where the finish line appears!

2011 Goals:

IronMan UK Bolton

Blog - Asics 2160 Review

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    3. Jan 30, 2011 9:25 AM (in response to jusbecuz)

Congratulations!!

Thanks for sharing your experience here--very motivational for other penguins like myself!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    4. Jan 30, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to jusbecuz)

Thank you for sharing sounds like a fun day!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jan 30, 2011 10:48 AM (in response to jusbecuz)

I like reading stories like this, Congrats on your race and thanks for sharing!

• Moeving Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    6. Jan 30, 2011 5:59 PM (in response to jusbecuz)

Congrats.  There's nothing like crossing that finish line.  Especially when you are running a new distance for the 1st time.

Recent Races

10/02/10 Komen Race for the Cure 5K - St. Petersburg, FL- 27:29

10/31/10 Halloween 5k Ft Desoto=- Tierra Verde, FL - 27:16

11/25/10 St Petersburg Times Turkey Trot - Clearwater, FL 5K- 25:12

12/04/10 Jingle Bell Run at the Plaza - Tampa, FL - 24:36

12/12/10 Florida Holiday Halfathon - Madeira Beach, FL - 1:57:52

12/18/10 Just Say No to Drugs 10K - Clearwater, FL - 54:36

01/29/11 Long Run at the Ranch 5K - Wesley Chapel, FL - 24:18 PR

02/27/11 Publix Super Markets Gasparilla Distance Classic Halfathon - Tampa, FL - 2:02:09

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    7. Jan 30, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to jusbecuz)

I love your story!

I am 52 years old and started running in 2007 to lose weight, so far I have lost 60 pounds. I ran my first 5K and 10K in 2007. In 2008 I ran my first 1/2 marathon and full marathon.  I am training for my 4th full marathon in April, The Southern Indiana Classic at Evansville, Indiana. I have started a blog to document my progress.

I would appreciate any and all comments to my blog.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• KitKat80 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Feb 5, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to jusbecuz)

Thanks for sharing! Looking to do my first 10k this summer and keeping this story in the back of my mind during the cold dreary days will be very encouraging.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    9. Feb 6, 2011 5:17 PM (in response to jusbecuz)

Thank for Sharing!  I always love hearing other peoples success stories, and get so much motivation from these threads!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...