Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6087 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2011 3:55 PM by LPARafael RSS 1 2 Previous Next
TheGreenKnight Amateur 19 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2011 3:53 PM

Letting go of the past

I'm not exactly new to running but I certainly cannot jog as much as I could in the past. I want to stop looking back at the past and start living in the present. I've been on a few bodybuilding/weight loss forums before but I have noticed there not so much support and they are generally are not so friendly or are not so responsive. How is this forum like?

God willing I would like to jog 2 miles tomorrow. Last week I started work and had the intention to go jogging all week but I never did. I just kept saying I would eventually do it but I never did. I even said I would jog today but I didn't. I would like to break out of this habit. Any tips advice?

Also I was thinking about starting to walk on the days I don't jog. What do you guys think about walking?

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Feb 7, 2011 5:32 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)
    Re: Letting go of the past

Congrats Green on deciding to get back into running. I believe you will find this site very helpful and encouraging. Check out the Couch to 5K program C25K http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It will get you back into running and have you able to do a 5K in 9 wks. A lot of ppl on this forum started with the C25K program and have gone on to run half and full marathons.

There are several very active threads you could join in, or there is about always a c25k thread that starts every wk or so. Find one of those and become an acitve contributor.

Good luck.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• jusbecuz Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Feb 7, 2011 7:54 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

I think you will find this site very beneficial, I know I certainly have.  I think that if you want to let go of the past, don't start with any expectations.  Don't go out to run 2 miles, just go out and run and see what happens.  Use your first few runs to see where you are at, and then decide where it is that you want to go.  Perhaps it is the distance that you have set for your run that is prohibiting you from getting out there.  Don't set yourself up for failure or to be discouraged, start slowly and enjoy the journey.  My story started last summer when my son was running cross country, and I asked him why he didn't sprint at the finish, and the short version is that he said that I wasn't a runner and wouldn't understand.  So I began my journey to become a runner, so I would understand.  I told him that I would enter a 5k, and figured I would have no problem, although not a runner, I was in decent shape and had done cardio runs on the treadmill.  That was the biggest mistake and the worse run I have ever had!  I struggled all the way through it, and forced my self to run the whole thing (if you can call it running).  I had an expectation and failed miserably, and it took some time before I got back out there.  About a month later, I started out running for a little ways, then walking, then running some more.  After several weeks, I could finally run 2 miles, then 3, 4, 5, 6, and that is where I am at now.  Now I use the races to celebrate my goals, and I make sure that I am comfortable at the distance before I enter them.  As far as walking on your off days, I do that all the time.  It helps me stay motivated plus the physical benefits of walking, and still gives my body a day to recover.  Just thought I would share my perspective from that of a new runner.

RUNNING DOES NOT BUILD CHARACTER, RUNNING REVEALS IT

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    5. Feb 8, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Hi GreenKnight,

I totally agree with you concerning the weight training forums. I did a program before I started the C25K and all those guys were "you only lift how much? you wimp" etc etc. But, on here it is totally the reverse, as a lot of the time people are actually telling you to slow down or do less miles as they care and have been in our place. If it wasn't for the other people on this board I would have dropped out and got frustrated with my performance. But, every question I have asked there was alwas a positive response, not always what I wanted to hear though. I thought I could go out and bust a 5k no problem, but after a couple of days of aching ankles and knees, I was told I was running wrong or too fast, but I took that advice and changed my mind set. Now, I am looking forward to and enjoying my time jogging and have reached week 7.

To answer your last question, first everybody is different here so you will see different distances. But, in my case my W1 D1, I covered 1.89miles in 26m 18s, my best was W6 D3 with 2.65 miles in 35 mins. Those include the 5 minute warm up and cool down walks. So my plan for my 5K in 3 weeks in trying to come in under 40 minutes, not record breaking by any extent, but I just want to finish it without walking at all.

So, good luck with the program and do not hesitate to put any questions out on the forum. The only stupid question is one not asked.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    6. Feb 8, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Congratulations on embracing a "Can Do" attitude, and you will get there!  All it takes is pumping one foot in foot of the other, and lots of patience.  Don't expect to be able to run a marathon in the first week - set realistic goals for yourself, and stick with a schedule.  This is the most important advice that I can give you.  If you have a schedule of when you are going to run, and when to increase your mileage, you set manageable expectations for yourself, and allow your body to ease naturally into a new sport.  Try sticking to a 5k running program, and find a local fun run to enter at the end of your training.  This will get you started on the right foot, and keep you motivated to get out there!

Good Luck and Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    7. Feb 8, 2011 10:32 AM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Well the first thing I can tell you is that this is a very supportive forum.  I have been on others, particularly Runner's World, where you will get snide, sarcastic, mean spirited comments.  I eventually left that one because I don't care for that attitude.  The atmosphere here is MUCH better.   Everyone, including the more elite runners, are very welcoming and friendly to beginning runners, returning runners, and everyone in between.

I understand what you say about letting go of the past.  If you are close to middle age (like lots of us here!) you may be remembering your glory days.  I agree it is hard sometimes to accept where you're at and still feel a sense of accomplishment even though your performance level has changed.   You're definitely not alone there!

As far as advice, you probably already know that BEGINNING a routine is the hardest part.  But once you get out there and feel the exhiliaration of running again, you will quickly get back in the groove.  And I do think walking on the days between runs is a great idea.  It will help you to establish your routine of getting out every day.  GOOD LUCK getting back with the program!

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    9. Feb 8, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Welcome to the forums, here!

I ditto that this is a great, supportive group.

There is a forum thread here called "200+ Pound Club" that you might want to join, in addition to others in this community.  There are a lot of people there who have overcome weight challenges and who are also just going through the process.

There are 396 pages of posts, and here is the link to the most recent posts: http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club/5925/0

Good luck in your fitness goals..And yes, you can do this!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    10. Feb 8, 2011 12:22 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Greenknight,

Good luck in your goal to reach around the 210lbs mark. I am aiming for about the same as you, I was over 250lbs seven weeks ago and now floating around the 240lbs mark. I agree with you about not being able or even wanting to do things, it is certainly a mental thing as well as a weight thing.

The biggest issue I found was when i started with my volunteer fire dept last year. At 37 I thought it would be a fun thing to don 65lbs of clothing, pull a 2inch hose full of water and run into a burning building. Mentally I was ready, physically not so much. So, I put myself through a gruelling weight lifting program and although didnt drop much weight, I certainly got stronger and was in fact much stronger than the 20 somethings that were in my class. But it didnt help too much, in fact it hindered me more than anything. It is great saying I can do a full squat of my body weight, but after about an hour of running in and out of burning buldings during training, I was cramping up and hurting bad, while the younger guys just kept going. Then I got way to cocky and pulled a muscle in my back, which stopped my weight training and led me to finding the C25K program. This program has certainly changed my attitude to running and my fitness level. Nothing leaves me out of breathe any more and doing things like putting my fire gear on is so much easier now. Plus the wife likes the more svelt me, rather than the big barrel chested version I was not so long ago.

So good luck in your quest and I hope you succeed.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    11. Feb 8, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

TheGreenKnight wrote:

Marykb I'm 22 but what I did at 17 was something I cherish.

Many of us here can only DREAM of doing what we could do at 22 (or even 32!)  So in your case, your best days may very well be ahead of you.  You might not run "quite" as fast as you did at 17, but you still have your peak fitness years ahead of you.  Even though you may have gotten out of shape, you are still talking about just a very few years of letting yourself go.   When you're middle aged and been out of shape for a decade or more, the curve is much steeper!

So embrace the fact that you are young!  It is easier to lose weight when you are young.  It is easier to accomplish fitness goals when you are young.  I'm not saying it won't be hard, but you do have that major factor in your favor - that, plus the fact that you have an athletic background.  You'll do great with the right attitude and a little hard work! 

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    12. Feb 8, 2011 3:39 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Walking is a great exercise and the perfect way to start getting into running again, if that is your eventual goal. I haven't gotten a ton of feedback here yet but I'm new, I joined like two days ago. I'm training for my first race since 1993 and I definitely am not running the way I used to - back then I ran maybe 35-50 miles a week! Right now when I don't miss any days I'm guessing I'm doing around 20ish. What I always tell myself is that I should just schedule it and aim to do it, even if when I start it's just 20 minutes, every other day. It hasn't been too hard to run now, but when I first tried to start exercising again, my daughter (who is now 7) was two. I read a lot of magazine articles and articles about working out and how you have to make it a habit by writing it on your schedule or putting it in your phone like it's an appt that you need to keep. Carve out that time in your day every time it's scheduled, and if you can't do 20 min at once, then do 10 min twice. The point more than anything is to do it... even if you are walking instead of running, even if you feel uninspired, because the more you do it and the more time passes, the better you feel and it becomes part of your daily or weekly routine! I love my tunes so having good music helps me start - and continue, even when I'm tired, have other things to do, etc lol.

Just remember, the start of a journey begins with a single step - and just keep stepping

Jen (ALatteCrazy)

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    13. Feb 8, 2011 3:46 PM (in response to TheGreenKnight)

Sometimes I like getting together with friends to jog or run, but the biggest problem with that is they all want to talk. I like to chat with them too but when I'm running it's almost easier just to plug into music and run. We keep each other accountable I think by calling and texting and meeting up at the gym - I'm thinking I might make those my off/cross training days or something because then I can walk and chat with them instead of being concerned about not getting my workout in. It's also a let down if someone says they'll meet you and they don't show. I think that writing in your scheduled workouts and days on your calendar or putting them as alarms in your phone can help to keep you on track, even if you just run alone the majority of the time.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...