Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1251 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 12:01 PM by Irun100s
TShiver03 Rookie 6 posts since
Jan 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2011 5:41 PM

Cross Training for Newbie

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are on our 2nd time around of Week 3 of the C25K as she missed too many runs last week.

Starting tomorrow morning, I would like to head to the gym and get in some good cross training.

My plan was to hit the bike for about 30 minutes, and then work with weights on core.

What plan would you pick and do for this stage in my routine?

I have never run before.  Plan at this point is to stick to the 3 day running schedule, Mon/Wed/Sat, and gym on Tues/Thurs.

Thanks guys and gals! 

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    1. Jan 7, 2014 6:11 AM (in response to TShiver03)
    Re: Cross Training for Newbie

Congrats on making it to Week 3 of your training, and for being determined to push thru it, even though you missed a few runs!  Make a promise to yourself to stick to the remainder of the schedule, and you will have no problem!  Also, working in some cross training on your days off is a perfect way to catch back up, and to maximize your body's ability to handle the increase in mileage later on. 

Jumping on the bike is a great way to cross-train, and as a matter of fact, I just got back from a spin class at the gym :-)  I recommend that you go to a cycling class from time to time because you will push yourself so much harder in a group setting with an instructor.  This is why I also like mixing up my cross training days with other cardio classes such as yoga and kickboxing.  I would recommend an activity like one of these on one of your cross training days, and reserve the other day for strength building.

Since running is such an intensive cardio workout, you have to build up your body strength and endurance in order to push it farther and longer.  This can be done in a gym weight training with free weights, or at your home or a park utilizing body resistance workouts, such as lunges, squats, tricep dips, pull-ups, etc.  If you legs are sore, save them for your next run, and instead concentrate on your arms and abs.  Either way, you will feel stronger on your next run, and your endurance will go through the roof!

I would also recommend throwing in some speed workouts from time to time.  Exercises such as stairs, tempo and fartlek runs will not only improve your time, but it will help prepare you for courses that are may have hills, and teach your body how to recover quicker.

This is what I would recommend, and what is working for me.  Best of luck!!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    3. Feb 8, 2011 8:20 AM (in response to TShiver03)
    Re: Cross Training for Newbie

Hi TShiver,

I'm glad that I was able to help and offer you some useful information.  And, swimming is definitely a great cross-training technique for runners.  Many people I know swear by it!  Of course, the weather could be an issue, but I'm sure that the Y has a heated pool.

Good Luck with your training!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Irun100s Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    4. Dec 29, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to TShiver03)
    Cross Training for Newbie

I am a big believer in cross trainining, at least in the "off season".  It is a great wat to keep a variety of activities and interests levels high.  I read this article on Cross Training Workout, and it helped motivate me to keep doing different activities especially through the winter.

Irun100s

Irun100s

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points