Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

43574 Views 252 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 9:08 AM by scotth0911 Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Previous Next
  • KindaZen Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Feb 7, 2011 6:58 PM (in response to Jazzyjd)
    Re: Week 4 day 2

Jazzyjd- I just finished W4D1 tonight and it was NOT easy, 5 minutes running is a long time.  I kept telling myself that tonight's total was 16 minutes.  That's really close to the twenty at the end of next week! I think week 5 will be really rough, but I'm still looking forward to it because after I've run 20 minutes straight I feel like I can officially call myself a runner.  It'll make all the work so far worth it.  That is, if I make it that far....

It makes it a lot easier seeing how everyone else here is doing, I don't know anyone who thinks running is something you would do without anything to run from.

KindaZen

Running for CCFA

• Kparco Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 24, 2011
    91. Feb 7, 2011 8:36 PM (in response to KindaZen)
    Re: Week 6 Day 2

Everyone is showing amazing progress.  There are so many of you in Week 4 - great job on getting there.  I also found week 4 difficult; so I completely understand where you all are coming from.  That is the first time I thought about repeating the week's training.  Tonight I completed W6D2 and it was definitely a mental struggle to push through and finish.  My body has not figured out that I won't stop at 5 minutes of running - I guess that is part of the training (at least for me ).

Momz04 - thanks for the app info.  Sorry to hear about the Strep Throat.  Good job getting back into the program and not letting the illness derail your plans.  Just remember to take it slow, your body still has to heal.

Jamie - 15 pounds in a month - Amazing - Great Job!!

Randy - Welcome to the group.  We would love to have another runner join us .  The pictures are beautiful - thanks for posting.

Take care everyone - keep running!!

-- Kristy

• moitresor Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 29, 2011
    92. Feb 7, 2011 8:58 PM (in response to KarateDude)
    Re: C25K Training Partners Needed! 1/22/11

Hey Randy and everyone! Glad to see you are all keeping it going...

Heads up Randy...you stumbled on a great group,..!! Although my time is a mess compared to anyone elses.

..I ran years ago..now I use these guys to give me courage..

everyone else....I am still reworking my schedule because of the running partner joining but I think I will have to use those repeat runs for just in between practice...just a little too little...

Someone asked about the program on the iphone/ I have it on my droid 2 ...I do love it...took me awhile to decide what settings I liked but when I found them...wonderful..I look forward to the ques and the final bells that tell me I have 1 minute to go! (you can make anykind of ques that you need....)

AND I just downloaded the newest program that is by the same developer...it is called B210k ...It is the same format! So I look forward to using it on my real workout  days...I have signed up for the ukrops 10k for motivation and just want to finish...don't have any time in mind!...The weight loss is really the goal of all goals...

Thanks for everything!

Kristy...looks like we were reading and posting at the same time..lol..

Thanks! I know the weight will come off quick at first just because of the water weight and such...so If there is more...it will slow down...but at this time...I will celebrate! ...Now If I can just get my speed up...ALOT!..lol

• desertrose Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    93. Feb 8, 2011 12:27 AM (in response to KindaZen)

Hi everyone,

Momz4 - I hope you feel better soon.

Randy - welcome to the group.  Looks like you're in a nice warm part of the country

I ran outside today.  It was a perfect day, too bad it's not going to last.  I did get some knee and shin pain in my left leg but I think that has a lot do to with me not streching before I went out.  I was anxious to get out into the sunshine and warm weather.  I have to admit, it made the run much more enjoyable.   I am getting worried about week 5 though.  I'm going away on vacation and although I will have access to a treadmill (ugh!) I have a feeling I'll too busy vacationing to think about running.  Any suggestions on motivation?  I thought about doing week 5 on the beach but I can barely run on the asphalt.  I've already packed my running gear with high hopes of starting off the day with a run, I know trying to do this later in the day will be out of the question (dinner, drinking, dancing) I just worry that the "routine" hasn't sunk in yet.

Everyone keep up the great work!

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    94. Feb 8, 2011 12:40 AM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hello everyone.  I'd love to join this group.  I'm hoping that this time I can make it thru the program and stick to jogging long term.  My biggest concern right now is knee problems.  I had them about 2 years ago before I ever dreamed of running and it took an injection to get rid of them.  I've been fighting knee pain off and on for almost 2 months now but I think I'm ready to get back to C25K. 

I'm both excited and really bummed to be starting over.  I started with a group last Aug. and I ended up repeating some weeks and being very slow.  When I got to week 8 I realized that I might not make the entire 5K without a short walk or two anytime soon but I decided that it was OK with me.  I was also slow enough that I was short of 5K in the time so my goal was to finish week 9 based upon the time and work on the distance later.  It was best for me so that I didn't get too discouraged or feel like I was failing when the fact was I was doing better every day and that was a success because I was so out of shape I had to repeat week 1 or 2 and another early week.  (Well I did do the first 3 weeks pushing a stroller but I was still way out of shape.)

I was feeling really awesome and so ready for that final week, when we went into town to run an errand.  In reality the accident wasn’t a very bad one, but when the girl rear-ended us I was turned sideways and I felt the pain shoot across my back like threads popping.  I assumed I’d pulled some muscles and within a week I’d be pain free.  It didn’t work out that way.  I tried to continue with my routine but in less than ½ a mile my back was screaming.  Her insurance paid for 2 days of therapy and pronounced that I couldn’t have been hurt badly enough to need more or to see a Dr again.  I’ve been living with pain since but it’s settled into a low level pain as long as I don’t overdo it.  I’m hoping jogging will not be a trigger because I really have missed it and I need something to work off some of this stress.   I did jog some around Thanksgiving and it seemed fine, but then I was spending 12 hour days supervising some people who were working at my brother’s house and I stepped off a ladder wrong after removing some lights and wrenched my knee or something.  Spent until just after Christmas thinking I’d need another one of those shots when I got home (I was on vacation.)  New Years it was doing a tiny bit better and I was hoping to start the next week.  Lucky me then ended up with a cold that got into my chest.  That finally started clearing up last week after a cortisone injection and 2 rounds of antibiotics .  You can see why I’m having trouble being optimistic.   I’m falling apart.   LOL 

When I was doing this last time I discovered that it was so helpful to have a group to share with.  Last time I joined 1 where everyone started on the same day but we ended up spread out over quite a few weeks.  This time I was looking for a larger group that was more spread out so no one felt left behind if they had a week where they couldn’t run or that they needed to repeat.  Meaning me.  I’m also not sure where I stand and if I will have to start from week 1 or if I will be able to jump ahead a bit.  I feel like I’m in better shape than I was in August and it helps that it’s not flirting with 100 degrees here right now.  I took a long walk yesterday and I actually did 3 short jogs to test the waters but not enough to compare to the weeks in this program. 

I hope to catch up on everyone over the next few days in between trying to get my business which has suffered thru the last 2 months of stuff back on track.  Since it’s a home party based business (Educational toys) I have to be self-motivated.  I started it at the same time I started C25K last year and it was going great until I got roped into helping my brother for a few days that turned into over a month of full time work and then got ill before that job was finished.  So I’m on a mission to change my life.  Get healthier, thinner, less stressed and financially sound.  Maybe I need to start a blog.  LOL  I’d also be interested in joining a facebook group for encouragement if anyone has one.    Patti 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• LGruns Pro 89 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    95. Feb 8, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to Kyle Drum)

HI Everyone!!! I just finished W6D2 and actually tacked on an extra 10 minute segment. I really struggled with my workout on Sunday--W6D1 for some reason, but today was much better. Trying to convince myself when I have a bad run, it's O.K. I would like to do a 10K race the first of May and am hoping I have enough time to train for it. I am really working on pace, recognizing how it feels, doing a 2 minute strong finish on every workout etc while I am stuck in on the treadmill.

Desertrose: right now finding a beach anywhere sounds wonderful. You'll probably do fine sticking with some sort of working out, just because you recognize the energy boost!

Lynne

• miriam91 Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    96. Feb 8, 2011 8:07 AM (in response to LGruns)

HI everyone,  It is so great to hear that so many of you are staying with it.  I am still on wk6D2, as I ended up getting a really bad cold last week and was out of comission for a couple of days.  It is so awesome that my body so wanted to run today, last night my legs really needed to move after being down for a couple of days.  Who knew that would ever happen(:  I have given myself permission to repeat weeks if I need to, and be grateful that I am not slipping backward.  Each week I do is far more than i was doing before I started!!! 

Kparco:  I totally get how high you felt when you finished W5D3.  That was the hardest week for me by far, it just felt like such a big jump to 20 min. I hadn't found this place yet, and was really down on myself because it took a few times.  IT's so great to have a place to talk with people that get it(: The last two weeks have been nuts, between work and being sick, I have stayed on wek 6.  Hope to get through it this week but we will see. 

It's great hearing everyones stuff.  Must be fun to having a running partner but I can't find one here.  So this is the next best thing. 

So off to work right now(:  Have a great day all..,

• momz04 Expert 41 posts since
    Jan 18, 2011
    97. Feb 8, 2011 4:12 PM (in response to desertrose)

Hi Desertrose - Where are you vacationing???  I am jealous.  I went to Cozumel last fall and I am sure there would have been no way to keep up with my running but we were out moving so much that at least I knew my muscles were getting a workout:)  You posted somewhere else about running on your treadmill barefoot, I think I am going to try that for a change because I really don't enjoy it now.  Do the bottoms of you feet get raw, or do you wear a pair of socks??

Jan 18, 2011
    98. Feb 8, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to miriam91)

So I finished W3D1 last night...it was a little hard on the last 3 minute run but I didn't give up and pushed through it.  I am planning on running with friend this week and I am a little nervous about my speed.  I think I am running slower than average because I am following the time not the distance on the program.  Any suggestions on increasing speed, or do you focus on finishing the 9 weeks and then start to work on speed??

Jan 18, 2011
    99. Feb 8, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to KarateDude)

Hey Randy,

The pictures you posted look familiar and beautiful, where were they taken?

• JstBcoz Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    100. Feb 8, 2011 10:05 PM (in response to momz04)
    Week 3 Day 1

Hi Everyone,

I just did W3D1 today.  It went okay, but I got a little more winded than I expected.  I guess I'll adjust with the next 2 runs for this week.

A hearty welcome to Randy and Patti!  You'll like it here, these guys are great!

Miriam and Momz, way to stick it out after being sick!  That's tough to do.  I hope you both feel better and are back on track.

Lynne, you're my hero for adding an extra 10 minute segment.

Jamie, holey guacamole 15 lbs?  That's awesome.  And thanks for the info on the 10k program, I'm going to download it.

~Jeanie

• JstBcoz Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    101. Feb 8, 2011 10:19 PM (in response to desertrose)

Korrine,

Have a great vacation!  Try running on the beach, just to see if it's doable.  If not, walk briskly, it's still a workout!  Is there someone that you can enlist to help you stay accountable? Can you do some activities that would provide some cardio, like swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, those stupid water bicycles with the huge wheels lol.  At any rate, have a great time!!

Jeanie

Dec 14, 2007
    102. Feb 9, 2011 1:07 AM (in response to momz04)

Hi Momz04,

we are going on a cruise to the caribbean.  I so excited to see some sunshine and warmer weather .  I always bring gym clothes with me on the off chance that I will actually walk into the gym but this is a theme cruise and my chances of behaving are slim.  I'll give it a good try though.  We did sign up for a hike on one of the shore excursions so I know I'll get some exercising in.

Yes, I have started running "barefoot".  Because its not a home treadmill I wear one pair of socks.  I started out with two because I was worried about the cushioning, etc but the one pair works out fine. It puts you in the correct running position and lets your body use its natural cushioning mechanism.  Here are some links about barefoot running:

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/index.html (A study from the Harvard Skeletal Biology Lab examines it in pretty good detail.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itkEkcQ8WM (That is another great video form the NJ Sports Medicine lab.   His presentaion style is a bit choppy but he does well getting the info out.)

or you can look up ChiRunning

I also follow the 200+ running thread and there is plenty of info there too.

Two things I will suggest if you're going to try barefoot running (which I think is wonderful) is 1. START SLOW.  Most of us are probably used to heel striking.  When you run barefoot and you heel strike it really hurts.  Your heel is not meant to absorb so much shock.  You need to get used to running on your forefoot which is a different stride.  2. Don't try to do the same distance your running in shoes barefoot.  It will take a while to get used to it.  I typically do one of the three weekly runs barefoot and slow down my pace.  Then when I use my running shoes, I try to emulate what I learned with not shoes on.  I can't say the bottom of my feet have developed callouses yet but I've heard that if you start running outside with no shoes they do rather quickly.  I don't think I'm ready to try this outdoors unless I buy some of the footwear geared for this.  Sorry about rambling on about this, but for me its been wonderful.  I have some old knee/shin injuries I need to watch and this change in running form seems to have done the trick (and it does seem to make the time go by faster )

Dec 14, 2007
    103. Feb 9, 2011 1:10 AM (in response to JstBcoz)

Hey Jeanie,

Thanks!, I'm sure I'll have a blast. I'll just make sure I keep moving.  Dancing counts too

• miriam91 Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    104. Feb 9, 2011 6:20 AM (in response to desertrose)

Good Morning everyone,  Just got back from taking the puppy for a walk, not quite a work out but maybe he will sleep fo ra little while(:  Today is a rest day so I am going to do some stretching and yoga.  I am forgetting who mentioned the books by John Bingham, The Courage to Start, is the one I picked up first.  I am really enjoying reading this.  He puts into word things that I thought were unique only to me.  I always think that I am the only one that feels a certain way, or experience a certain thing.  This is not in an egotism way, but in a, there is something wrong with me way, or I"m doing something wrong way.  His common sense, practical and informational approach to running is awesome.  It makes me feel like this is possible, that it is a process, and that it is good for me and that is the important thing.

Have fun on the curise!!!!!!! It is freezing here in New Hampshire so I can only imagine how wonderful the sun will feel on your skin(:  Enjoy.

Off ot the rest of my day.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...