Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1972 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2011 4:25 AM by ohioraceday RSS
Chicago newbie Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2011 11:51 AM

Starting c25k training this weekend - need motivation & advice!

Hello - I'm turning 30 this April and I'm at the heaviest weight I've ever been.

So, I decided to take action and become a runner! Signed up for a 5k on March 20th, and I plan to start my training this weekend.  But I need some motivational tips and advice!  I've never really worked out regularly - a few pilates, group workout classes here and there.

Help!

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010

Hi,

Congrats on starting the program. A couple of pieces of advice; make sure you have good shoes, they don't have to be super expensive runners. I started off in an old pair of shoes I played tennis in and I soon regreted that decision. I now do this program in a pair I bought for $25 at Walmart, some people will say I am crazy having shoes that cheap. But, it made running a whole lot easier. The next thing is go slow and just look to finish each jogging section while jogging, the increase in speed will come later. The increase of pressure on your joints and muscles while jogging is so much more than walking, so take it easy and just build up your tolerence to running in the first few weeks. I also do some cross training on my off days which includes weights and stretching.

Good luck.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I was never a runner when I started this program. I started in August of last year and graduated in October. I took it slow and didn't over do it. I'm now traing for Half Marthon in March.  Good Luck!

• desertrose Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Congratulations!!!!

This is really a great program.  I had to start off walking before I started and now I'm on week 4.  Do take it slow and if you feel like you have to repeat a week do it.  The key is to be consistent and you'll be running in no time.

Good Luck and we're all here to support you.

• ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010

Good luck.  I started and completed the program last spring.  I was a non-runner before but wasn't exactly beginning from the "couch" either.   Just follow the program and don't get ahead of yourself.  It takes a while for the muscles and tendons to catch up with the cardio gains that you make.  Don't be fooled into thinking you are ready for faster or longer runs.  Take it easy.  You'll come out on the other side with fewer pains and injury.  The goal should be long-term fitness through running.  You also won't notice a weight loss right away.  As muscles tone up & strenghten, they get heavier.  You may be burning off fat and building muscle and make a zero net weight change.  But, eventually you WILL lose weight.  You don't see too many heavy runners at the events. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points